THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Best Load out for Talos

Go down 
+8
Todo13
Shadows Revenge
Deneris
Grumpy Kwi
Local_Ork
Evil Space Elves
fenrisnorth
kenny3760
12 posters
AuthorMessage
kenny3760
Sybarite

Best Load out for Talos Empty
PostSubject: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 22:49

I'm planning on building a WWP army. It'll have Baron Sathonyx, Hellions, Wyches, Beasts and Scourges coming out the WWP. I'll have a couple of Ravagers and some wracks in venoms with 2 Heamis to deliver the portals.
I'm planning on a Talos as well from the portal and intend it to do a bit of AT in the list. Whats the best loadout for this. I was thinking TL heatlance and chainflails, idea being to open a transport up with the lance and assault the contents after, or immobilise a tank then auto hit with CC attacks after. Is this the way to go or is there a preferred Talos loadout?
Back to top Go down
fenrisnorth
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 00:14

That's my preferred load, and for the same reason, but I also include the extra CCW, more attacks, is just nice.

Captured Victims: Castellan Crowe, Ultramarine Chapter Master
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 00:29

fenrisnorth wrote:
That's my preferred load, and for the same reason, but I also include the extra CCW, more attacks, is just nice.
Same here. twin-linked HL absolutely kills/maims tanks from that close range. Some do prefer to use the HW blaster because of the HL working TOO well-blow up target=nothing to charge=EVERYBODY shooting at you the next turn. It's happened to me a couple of times, though it made its points back before getting gunned down. (Last time that this happened it nuked a LR Executioner after beating down another in CC. I'll take those kinds of trades every time! cheers )
Chainflails/Extra CC insures that you are getting all that you can out of the Talos for killiness. Expensive, but you really get your points back when you blast this nasty bastard out of a WWP.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 00:39

Also Talos is one of toughest things in Codex, so I want people to shoot at it, especially with long range big guns.

Yes, I'm big fan of HB.
Back to top Go down
fenrisnorth
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 00:52

Ahh, I preferth HL because I tend to send him after transports, so I can chomp the passengers in th assault phase

Captured Victims: Castellan Crowe, Ultramarine Chapter Master
Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 14:29

Cool, looks like heat lance and chain flails it'll be then. Might see about the extra CCW, depends on points.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 19:16

kenny3760 wrote:
Cool, looks like heat lance and chain flails it'll be then. Might see about the extra CCW, depends on points.

The cool part is, you can model it with the extra close combat weapon and just call it some spiky/bladed thingy if you don't want to pay the points for it for some games. It really is the optimal load out IMHO.

Back to top Go down
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose
Grumpy Kwi

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05 2011, 23:29

I'll be the one that thinks that the twin-linked liquifier would be better than the chain flails. I tend to use the flamer more out of the portal and I believe it kills more than the extra attack you would get from the flails (this is true from my experiences).

Sure, it is very little in difference but the Talos has no real problem in cc or punching armor - its a preference of mine but my opponents do not really stay clear of my portals and when the talos emerges I usually have a wide variety of targets to choose from.

Heat lance and liquifiers for me, can take out armor or hordes all in one (tourney build).

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 19:26

As it turns out I've magnetised the weapons and arms, so I can switch between whatever I want to use. Only thing I haven't really figured out how to fit in yet is the liquifier, but I'm working on it.

Still reckon default setting will be Heat Lance and chain-flails. Thanks for the input guys.
Back to top Go down
Deneris
Hellion
Deneris

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 20:16

Actually have two Talos:

First one: Heat lances, Dual CC weapons. Dirty and cheap.

Second one: Magnetized tail weapons, Twin-linked Liquifier, CCW. This fellow was built to hunt down those pesky Eldar squads with Conceal and similar mind-trickery, as well as being able to slap around Wraithguard that our Eldar player loves so much...
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 20:24

Personally its TL Haywire Blasters and Chain-Flails

Heat Lance is better at popping tanks, but I find my talos slugs behind and trying to catch up to some of these transports gets annoying, the Haywire Blaster lets him reach out and touch them, slowing them down long enough for him to mosy on over there and give it a nice big hug Razz

As for the Liquifier, they are overall better against Infantry, but I find that if my Talos is in combat with an infantry squad, he is either A: in combat with something he shouldnt be B: Got charged after popping a transport or C: Has a random squad to keep from getting shot at. For A, well... he shouldnt of charged. B doesnt allow you to shoot, and for C I want to stay in combat, so I dont want to kill alot. Also while it increases his output against infantry, I find that he is more suited for chewing threw tanks.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Todo13
Kabalite Warrior
Todo13

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 02:49

I don't bother with the gun and just assault with chainflails and XCCW

Why do we ride atop these elegant craft? The better to hear the screams of our prey as we ride them down, to savour the fear etched on their faces, to taste the tantalising tang of their blood in the air as an appetiser before the feast -Dariaq Bladetongue of the Pierced Eye
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 04:23

Deneris wrote:
Actually have two Talos:

First one: Heat lances, Dual CC weapons. Dirty and cheap.

Second one: Magnetized tail weapons, Twin-linked Liquifier, CCW. This fellow was built to hunt down those pesky Eldar squads with Conceal and similar mind-trickery, as well as being able to slap around Wraithguard that our Eldar player loves so much...

You guys have an Eldar player that is willing to pay 35pts per Wraithguard? I play a pretty fluffy Iyandian list and even I won't take Wraithguard!

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 11:35

I dont think CC Talos will do much. He is monster of coarse, but there are far too many thing that can bring him down easily.
Terminators of all sorts.
Ork Boyz ( no, he wont win it often, nob just chew throug him in 2 phases)
GK just insta-death him with force weapons.
Heck, even powerfist can bring him down fast. And he aint wraithlord, he is not immune to normal S4 atacks.
So atacking Grey Hunters could end badly.

Meltas, plasma,lance,autocannons etc.

So if we do want to take him - better take one with linked liquifiers.Still lose same combats but at least can do horrible damage in shooting phase and than assault if we wish.

The real choice for me here - heat lance or haywire blaster?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 11:50

For Liquifier? I guess Melta, so he can *just* run (akin to my fav Deff Dread loadout - 2 x HFlamer with EArmour and Grot Riggers). Also, it's (slightly) more devastating for infantry than HBlaster.

If I may quote my 40K guru "Only good MC is called Grey Knight Terminator in Jesus Chassis".
Back to top Go down
Lord Strigoi
Slave
Lord Strigoi

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 12:01

Azdrubael wrote:
I dont think CC Talos will do much. He is monster of coarse, but there are far too
Heck, even powerfist can bring him down fast. And he aint wraithlord, he is not immune to normal S4 atacks.
So atacking Grey Hunters could end badly.

What Talos do you play with? With T7, Grey Hunters need 6's to hurt the thing which, unless you have uncanny rolls, isn't very many. At least not enough to kill it outright.
I wouldn't carelessly throw it at a full squad anyway, thinning them out first should help.
I agree with the rest of your comments, that's why it should be munching through things in combat, not standing waiting to get shot.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 12:32

Sixes still hapen , when unit have counter-charge or charging you they happen a lot.
Add that to powerfist. And we have not so great outcome.

Still for me thats not even question.I dont usually tailor list, i make all comers list.
And GK existence auto banns CC Talos.

I can justify Grotesques by joining Malis to them.But Talos in CC just dont work with them.Liquifers on the other hand melt 3+...so...why even bother with CC?

Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 12:52

Problem is that if You can melt them, then You probably can assault too. And trust me, it's better to assault than to be assaulted.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 15:53

Local_Ork wrote:
Problem is that if You can melt them, then You probably can assault too. And trust me, it's better to assault than to be assaulted.
My thoughts exactly

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 19:23

Yeah sure , by all means do assault. Just dont get assault upgrades instead of liquifiers.

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 20:57

I think there's still legitimate argument for Chain Flails>TL Liquifier.

Yeah, with horde it's no question. But for mech smashing, as well as dealing with higher toughness and/or good armor save models the Flails would still tend to serve you better.

Back to top Go down
Talos
Kabalite Warrior
Talos

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 16 2011, 23:41

I run three of those, with chain flails and tl haywire blaster. It can stun enemy vehicles if it doesn't feel like Running. And the accw is just to expensive, there is better place in the army list for those 15pts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Load out for Talos   Best Load out for Talos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Load out for Talos
Page 1 of 1