THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Overwatch limitations?

Go down 
+3
Squidmaster
Count Adhemar
Kantalla
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

Overwatch limitations? Empty
PostSubject: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 08:52

The rulebook says "Overwatch is resolved like a normal shooting attack... and uses all the normal rules except that a 6 is always required for a successful hit roll..."

I'm assuming that means:
1) Range limitations still apply - so you can sit at 8.5" away from a unit or Wraithguard or other flamer toting squad, and if you can get the charge off (quite likely for Drukhari from turn 2), the flamers would be out of range and therefore can't fire in overwatch.
2) Line of sight still applies - if you had a solid transport that is taller than your models you could hide a squad from line of sight of the charge target (or if terrain is suitable), and they would then be unable to fire overwatch.

I have issues with both those interpretations, but assume the rules make them legal. Anyone think those are wrong?

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 09:14

No, they're both correct and (I think) have even been confirmed in FAQ answers

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 09:39

1/ Correct, Range still applies. So Flamers would be in trouble, and Meltaguns would still have their half range rule, etc.

2/ Yes, Line Of Sight still applies, so you can't shoot a unit you can't see, allowing you to be tactical with unit placement and essentially ambush enemy units.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 12:01

Yup, you need both the range and line of sight to fire overwatch.

Overwatch limitations? 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Overwatch limitations? 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 14:24

On a well covered board, it can makes hellions better than their stats indicate.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 16:17

You need quite the perfect cover for it. Since they still only charge 7-8 on average, which means their target must be (nearly) next to some los blocking terrain that is high enough that the hellions are not to high. That is often my problem, hellions are so damn big for "jumb troops" that I find them very hard to hide (but maybe that is also largely due to terrain). Most of the 2+ story buildings have windows which means they are still visible, and they are to high to hide behind single story high walls.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 17:39

|Meavar wrote:
You need quite the perfect cover for it. Since they still only charge 7-8 on average, which means their target must be (nearly) next to some los blocking terrain that is high enough that the hellions are not to high. That is often my problem, hellions are so damn big for "jumb troops" that I find them very hard to hide (but maybe that is also largely due to terrain). Most of the 2+ story buildings have windows which means they are still visible, and they are to high to hide behind single story high walls.

Yeaahh... I suppose so.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 31 2017, 18:48

That's why Jetbike HQs would be perfect : super easy to hide.
- Charge the succubus first from LOS blocking cover, so no overwatch.
- Charge the reavers next. No Overwatch because already tied in CC.

PostSubject: Re: Overwatch limitations?   Overwatch limitations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overwatch limitations?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: