THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Battle mats & gaming tables

Go down 
+10
Czernobog44
amishprn86
Azdrubael
Malios
Myrvn
Nathelis
Lord Asvaldir
Silverglade
The Red King
zelatar
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

Battle mats & gaming tables Empty
PostSubject: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 12:35

Been shopping around and figured it might be useful to others to have a useful repository for recomendations / warnings.

In my case, I'm specifically in the market for a 4' x 6' collapsible gaming table, as well as a generic 40K-feeling mat. As I've explored, I've decided I want a mousepad-feeling mat--mainly because I'm a sucker for texture but alsp because of the advertised selling points (grip, mini safety, quiet dice rolling, etc.).

Here's what I'm currently leaning towards.

A firmerterra.com gaming table:

Battle mats & gaming tables Stol-mobile-respons

Looks like a solid option. Even though this table is pricey, I do like that it folds up--one priority driving my purchasing decision is space--the lighter and more compact I can get, the better.  I really just wanted a cheapo plastic folding table, but can't find one in 4' x 6'. Even if it existed, I bet it'd only fold in half vs. quarters.

As for a gaming mat, I like this "Wastelands" mat by gamemats.eu.

Battle mats & gaming tables 9k=

I've heard good things on the StrikingScorpion battle reports. I like that it is rather generic--I get the impression the mat has a lot more "replayability" that way, compared to this Chemzone mat which looks awesome (fight within the Dark City, eh?) but feels sorta limited by comparison.

Battle mats & gaming tables Z

Gamemat also has some double-sided mousepad-style mats, which is a great space-saver. I quite like the Fallout Zone / Imperial Base combo in particular. The Imperial Base side is juuust generic enough that terrain choice could transform it and lend replayability (gleaming ultramarine stronghold, or rotten death guard ruins, etc.)

Battle mats & gaming tables Gamemat-Fallout-base

Battle mats & gaming tables 9k=

So! What about you? Have you purchased a mat or a table and slowly realized you should have gone with Option B? Let's discuss!

Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 13:42

I just finished building a table topper for around 30 or 40 bucks with zero experience in woodworking.

Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 14:28

My main gaming surface is a "fatmat". Checkout frontline gaming. They have city terrain style, wastelands etc.

It is the mousepad texture you're looking for.

In terms of tables, I use a regular collapsible table, and then use 3 pieces of 2X4' particle board on top to make it wide enough. Likely would be a little cheaper than the $189 price you quote above (particularly if you already have a 2X6 table).
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 15:35

I refuse to touch anything by FLG after the way he lied abour the dark eldar and then condescended to everyone about how they just didn't know as much as him about it.

Hekatrix
Lord Asvaldir

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 16:52

My gaming group uses all foldable tables since we play in a small store and we just put two 6' by 2' tables together to form a board. You can get 6' x 2' tables for about $40 on amazon so buying two of those would save you a bit of cash compared to that table you're considering.

Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 16:54

The Red King wrote:
I refuse to touch anything by FLG after the way he lied abour the dark eldar and then condescended to everyone about how they just didn't know as much as him about it.

Prey tell!

Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 17:05

When 8th came out he shilled super hard (wyches are the most improved unit in the game! Dark eldar are top 3!) Then when people pointed out all the flaws and weaknesses in the revealed rules he said something along the line of "lol you dark eldar players just can't be happy about anything, if you knew all the rules (like he did) you'd see how right I am". Then 8th came out. All the weaknesses and problems were exactly what the real DE players said they would be and he just completely went silent on the matter. Note he doesn't use any of "the most improved unit in the game" (wyches).

He was already an annoying power gamer who thought he knew better than everyone else (ITC anyone??), but now Reece can fornicate with a rake as far as I'm concerned.

Slave
Nathelis

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 22:25

i habe the table and also battlemat from gamemat.eu. its all really good. the only downside of the table is that its nigh impossible to set it up alone...but youre not playing alone so doesnt really matter

Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03 2018, 02:14

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Nathelis, the table seems kinda low to me--do you play comfortably while seated? From the battle reports I watch I guess I get the impression folks usually stand up. Can you play comfortably while standing?

Red King, you present me with an interesting conundrum. When I have the luxury of being able to choose who to buy from, I try to avoid giving money to fine gentleman. But usually it's more of a political / ideological thing. So does being an arrogant, clueless elitist cross the line? I'd say it certainly rides it, if at least.

Slave
Nathelis

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03 2018, 07:24

the table is not low, I play standing always. its the same height as all other tables I own.

Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03 2018, 07:27

https://matsbymars.com/collections/36-x-72-mats/products/mats-by-mars-winters-wrath-tabletop-wargaming-play-mat

This is where I plan to buy my mat from. You can get one with gridlines that map out all the deployment zones.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03 2018, 18:50

I've tinkered with the idea if buying a cheap plastic folding table and bolting a thin wooden table to the top. 1/4" plywood is relatively light and it can be cut into two pieces that line up quite easily. And if the base table is 3'x5' the 1/4" plywood would easily provide the edge structural stability.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix
The Red King

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 03 2018, 19:01

http://www.wargamingtradecraft.com/2012/01/building-yourself-cheap-tabletop.html?m=1

This is what I did.

Slave
Malios

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 08:00

If possible, you want an 8' x 4' table or surface.

It gives you an admin area to work with alongside your gaming area if you don't have a dedicated admin table or surface.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 09:05

Im using this mat from gamemat.eu, im extremely pleased with it. Very soft, and not reflecting light. Came with carrying tube, usefull for transporting to club. Im buiding a forgeworld table, and that mat is a godsend for it.

Battle mats & gaming tables 59381210

amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 09:54

I just bought a really cheap 3x5 table, got a 4x6 board and spray it with textured paint lol.

Tho i am very lucky that i dont need a home table, we have a 24/7 gaming store that you can ask anyone at anytime (we have a personally message board). we are there at 3-5am at times haha.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Czernobog44
Slave
Czernobog44

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 18:50

amishprn86 wrote:
we are there at 3-5am at times haha.

user avatar checks out
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 19:00

Czernobog44 wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:
we are there at 3-5am at times haha.

user avatar checks out

LOL, never thought of that, and welcome to the city!

Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 19:39

zelatar wrote:

Nathelis, the table seems kinda low to me--do you play comfortably while seated? From the battle reports I watch I guess I get the impression folks usually stand up. Can you play comfortably while standing?

I always play whilst standing, it’s just easier, you’re above the field and so less likely to knock things over or unintentionally snag something with a sleeve.

And when you’ve got to reach 2 feet to the centre of the table and are checking distances with a tape measure and putting dice next to things to tally wounds and so on and so forth...

I find standing easier.

No reason you can’t have a couple of chairs in the room, of course. If you’ve got the space I’d have them there, just don’t play from them.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
Coopertron
Slave
Coopertron

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 20:40

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRMoIZfPPg

If you want to make your own battle mat this guy is pretty good.
This is how i made mine but i used cardboard from a fridge box that was 3.8x5.9 not exact 4x6 but hey what ever. The only problem with the cardboard is that it has curled slightly.
But a nice diy project that is quite cheap

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 06 2018, 22:11

Um... or just get Sheet Rubber (Mouse pad material) for like 30$

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat

You can find much cheaper ones if you look for thinner (1/4 1/6 1/8 is really good) I only posted this one b.c i already had it up b.c i was buying it for my home gym lol.

You can get low quality ones (but for gaming they still later 30yrs+) that are 4x6 and 1/8" thick around 10$

Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15 2018, 13:27

In my case, I live in a loft apartment and unfortunately don't have the space for a non-collapsible table, let alone a workshop. Coupled with the fact my cousin and I wanna play next weekend, I pulled the trigger and just went with this folding table from Urbanmatz (which is the FirmerTerra table, I think) and Gamemat's double-sided Imperial Base / Fallout mat.

I gotta say, I am shocked[i] by how fast these both shipped and are slated to deliver. From Prague to the US destination facility in [i]two days? Incredible!

Incidentally, I'm curious if Gamemat and UrbanMatz might be the same people. They're both based in Prague, both labels were generated at 9 local, ship method and tracking scans are identical. From what I gather Gamemat is pretty popular, so I'd get a kick out of it if they *are* one of their competitors. Heard about a popular shoe store in Jerusalem that did that.

Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15 2018, 14:39

zelatar wrote:
In my case, I live in a loft apartment and unfortunately don't have the space for a non-collapsible table, let alone a workshop. Coupled with the fact my cousin and I wanna play next weekend, I pulled the trigger and just went with this folding table from Urbanmatz (which is the FirmerTerra table, I think) and Gamemat's double-sided Imperial Base / Fallout mat.

Good to hear man, hope you enjoy your games!

Quote :
I gotta say, I am shocked by how fast these both shipped and are slated to deliver. From Prague to the US destination facility in [i]two days? Incredible!

Incidentally, I'm curious if Gamemat and UrbanMatz might be the same people. They're both based in Prague, both labels were generated at 9 local, ship method and tracking scans are identical. From what I gather Gamemat is pretty popular, so I'd get a kick out of it if they *are* one of their competitors. Heard about a popular shoe store in Jerusalem that did that.
[/i]

Could be. Or perhaps 9 is the industry standard for the area? Maybe they're using the same shipping company?

If they arrive in the same box, you'll have a definitive answer lol!

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15 2018, 19:53

amishprn86 wrote:
Um... or just get Sheet Rubber (Mouse pad material) for like 30$
Strangely none of their example shots are from gaming. Unless the rider has been dismounted from the 4th shot.

Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19 2018, 16:45

I like the idea of a thread that serves as a helpful repository for reviews (rather than this just being my own personal saga), so here are some quick reviews of the products:

Battle mats & gaming tables Gamemat-Fallout-base

So the Gamemat double-sided 6' x 4' Fallout Zone / Imperial Base battle mat is excellent. Some notes:

- Shipped from Prague to Boston in two days, no shipping / packaging issues. Note! By default, delivery is set to occur during business hours and requires a signature.

- Print quality is excellent (at least in my experience). VERY detailed. No apparent printing issues like loss of resolution, etc.

- The bag included is a little nicer quality than I expected. The mat rolls up tightly but, once unrolled,  lays nice and flat.

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  / 5 STARS
Smile

As for the 6' x 4' Firmer Terra folding table sold by Gamemat, Urbanmatz, etc...

Battle mats & gaming tables Stol-mobile-respons

- The product looks slick on the Firmer Terra site and on the vendor product pages. I (perhaps mistakenly) figured it'd be as sturdy as, say, a standard plastic-topped metal-framed folding table.

- This table is flimsy--this might not end up being a problem long-term, but I've got to be very careful with assembly / disassembly. The upper portion of each leg is bolted to the table top; you unfold the upper legs, then connect the lower legs. Unfolding the upper legs, I get the impression that an over-application of pressure could warp the metal or tear the joints free from the MDF. The lower legs take a bit of effort to cram into position, which is fine imo, but a few sockets were MUCH tighter than others. I could see this being a challenge for some folks; my boyfriend has a plate in one wrist and he simply couldn't apply enough pressure to fit one particular leg.

- The tabletop portion is thin MDF covered by plasticard-thin material. Aesthetically who cares, that's what the battle mat is for, imo. But I'm kinda surprised this table is advertised as being made of "weather resistant" materials. From what I gather, "weather resistant" generally means "you have peace of mind that your investment will hold up well in typical weather conditions, including rain, humidity and heat". I can't imagine leaving this outdoors for any length of time in humid weather, let alone rain. My table has a few areas where the plasticard doesn't fully cover the MDF, and there are plenty of little gaps where water could become trapped and begin to degrade the materials. I have no plans to play outdoors, but something others might want to be aware of.

- I gotta give it to the retailers. They nailed the pricing. If anything, the relatively high price contributed to my assumption that the quality must be half-decent. But they didn't price it too high, to the point where I might feel cheated seeing the product in person.

All that said, I'd recommend this table if you meet these criteria:

1) You are tight on space
2) You don't have the means to construct your own table
3) You don't plan on playing outdoors or storing this in a shed
4) You don't consider $200 a significant financial investment
5) You don't expect a slick, high-quality product

OR

1) You need something very quickly (shipping took 2 days, product / packaging fine)

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven / 5 STARS

PostSubject: Re: Battle mats & gaming tables   Battle mats & gaming tables I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battle mats & gaming tables
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next