THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How to expand AoBR Orks.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

How to expand AoBR Orks. Empty
PostSubject: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23 2012, 21:59

I got the Assault on Black Reach box when it first came out and plit the set with my brother. He took the Marines and I had the Orks.
I had only a short time of Orkyness, but now I have really got into the Ork mentality and I am looking for advice for how to upgrade my Orks to 1000 points.

So, all I have right now is what comes in the set, a Warboss, some Nobs, a bunch of Boys and three Deffkopptas. What should I include to be able to defeat Dark Angels, both the shooty type and the Deathwing type?

Thanks.

How to expand AoBR Orks. YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23 2012, 22:36

That's actually a really multilayer question.

AoBR gives you a nice decent starting block of Orks, but to expand on it, the question is - what sort of Ork army are you hoping to run? The general big dividing line is Mech or Foot. I'm going to toss out some ideas for you and clarify them in that way;

KFF Big Mek - almost regardless of what you want to build for, a KFF Big Mek is a good purchase. SOme seem to think he's weaker in 6th...I think they might be right...but he was OMFGLOLWTF good in 5th, so a bit weaker from that is hardly a big deal.

Ghaz - a near obligatory tool for mech Orks.

Lootas - pretty awesome for any Ork build, some of the best shooting we have.

Battlewagons - obligatory for mech Ork (especially since, in 6th, I kinda think Trukk armies are dead...not that they were ever that great to begin with, but they're of drastically lessened purpose now.

M0AR BOYZ! - no matter what, you're going to want more regular boyz. I personally suggest Shoota boyz, but whichever way you plan to go, you will need more of these, a lot more...no, I mean a LOT more.

Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych
Ruke

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23 2012, 23:03

I just upgraded both armies to 750 points. I went with sniper scouts to upgrade the marines to make fun use of the new rules.

For the orks, i got a set of 5 lootas, a deff dredd, and a nob to go in each boy squad (with powerklaw). It's really too bad they didn't include the option to give all the boyz shootas as that would have made the starter army a lot better, imo, but thats beside the point.

Ok, so to bump it up to 1k, heres what I would do

Give the 5 nobs that come with the kit big choppas, twinlinked shootas, 'eavy armor and cybork bodies, and give one a waaagh banner, and toss in a painboy with a grot orderly (who will also have a cybork body)

Give your warboss 'eavy armor and a bosspole (since his T5 will protect him from ID most of the time, he's less likely to need the cybork body)

give each of your boy squads a nob with a powerklaw, and bosspoles

one Deff Dredd with your choice of either two extra CCW or Kustom Mega Blasters

the box comes with 3x deffkoptas, but each one can only have one rokkit launcha (but it is twinlinked), instead of the two that is listed in the AoBR book (just fyi)

you should have around 150 points left over at this point, and its a toss up between 3 killer kans (w/ rokkit launchas), or 10 lootas... Both are good choices and it just depends on whether you want a more mech or squishy force. If you aren't expecting to see a lot of mech yourself, the lootas are a far superior choice to killing infantry (and even light vehicles, like raiders or even rhinos), but if you think you're gonna see any heavier vehicles, you can't beat the extra dread CCW's...

Edit

Thor665 wrote:
but he was OMFGLOLWTF good in 5th

True story

(also upgrading in this way should only cost you around $150 if you're looking to conserve a few $)

Last edited by Ruke on Tue Jul 24 2012, 08:48; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2012, 03:10

Lootas. You're going to need guns. Lots of guns... Also, they can move and fire now. And it hardly matters for orks to fire at ballistic skill one now, does it? Laughing

Like Thor says, it really depends on whether you want to go mech or foot, but either way, I can't conceive of an ork army without Lootas. Maybe that's just because I play Deathskull orks, and love that there is now a proper mech/looted list option, but they're still awesome. A couple of squads of ten should average forty shots a turn, which are pretty much guaranteed to wreck a Razorback. You might even get lucky and get sixty! The great thing with Lootas is that if you pick your targets wisely and have a big enough squad, it won't really matter much if you only roll a one on the D3. Also, they have big guns. Nice. Also, with judicious use of the boyz sprue, you can get burna boyz out of the set too, which is good, and gives you a reasonably versatile assault unit.

In terms of boyz armament, I favour slugga boyz personally. I love the way the shootas are modelled, and will include a mob of them at some point, but that extra attack is just great for making sure you really overkill a target. Charging in with a full squad and picking up over a hundred dice to attack with makes your opponents face go as green as theirs... In 1000 points, you'll probably be wanting forty or fifty slugga or shoota boyz at least. Probably more for a balanced list, I'm not sure. I don't do balanced lists for myself, I just pick the stuff I want and use it until it works!

Dakkajet. Because it goes dakka dakka dakka. And three twin linked super shootas firing double shots in a Waaagh! turns infantry into a greasy smear. And they're brilliant fun to paint! Haven't tried either of the other two yet, but the burna bommer looks like a must for all those armies that rely on hugging cover. Trying to think of an example of one of them, nothing springs to mind... Razz

Battlewagon. Hardly matters what you put in it, any ork thing getting inexorably closer is bad news for your opponent. I'm toying with the idea of putting the Lootas in it, to make them really hard to get rid of, rather than just using it as a delivery device. That way it can rumble forwards whilst putting out a devastating amount of hilariously inaccurate fire.

Nobs. Yep, always solid. Great options on the sprue, you can make a really good looking squad with lots of varied wargear. They'll wreck tanks, go toe to toe with other elites (maybe not Terminators, unless they're mega armoured - which are a much better option now they're not moving through difficult terrain constantly). Of course, if you're only using the AOBR ones, the options are presumably less extensive, but they're still a scary squad. Add a Painboy for a bit more survivability at least though.

A warboss and big mek are the best basic HQ options in the codex. You can fit both in at 1000 points, chuck them a bit of wargear each and have multiple scoring options. A mek with KFF is definitely the more competitive of the meks, but the shokk attack gun one looks awesome. Whichever one you pick, you get to take a dread as a troops choice, which I'm actually considering myself now that the kan wall I was going to build has been nerfed by low hull points and the ability to glance itself to death with the formerly best weapon option. I like the orkyness of attempting to retaliate only to blow yourself up, but only aesthetically. Rokkits are still a good option though, and the fact that they're grot fired means they might actually hit something. Which is nice. Cool models too. I'm totally still going to do a kan wall...

Wych
Ruke

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2012, 08:51

Mr Believer wrote:
it can rumble forwards whilst putting out a devastating amount of hilariously inaccurate fire.

This is true and made me lol.

But basically all the same things I suggested... Personally, I would replace the warboss with a big mek with a shokk attack gun (which I prefer), and as Believer pointed out, that would also make the dredd I suggested a troop, instead of heavy...

Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2012, 14:09

Thanks guys. This is great information and did make me laugh.

I think that I'll go for large foot mobs to swamp everything with, although Mr Believer did sell me on the Battlewagon. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28 2012, 19:23

I's say buy in roughly this order:

1. Battleforce or 2, you can NEVER have enough boys, bikes are great again, and the trukk basically works out free this way
2. lootaz and more boys, the extra boys will allow you to build the rest of the lootaz options
3. Bikes, super as Nob versions or otherwise
4. BattleWagon or 3, best transport option
5. Dakkajet for aerial orkness

no rush

6. kanz and dread
7. storm boys in a big mob
8. meganobs are expensive so I'd leave these for now
9. nobs

If you want to just buy small then go with the boyz box and bikes. Remember you can chop off the slugger boyz' arms to make more bodies for any other use e.g. lootaz, shooterz, different posed sluggaz etc. With a change of starter box coming it could be worth while keeping an eye out for cheap Aobr sets being off loaded Wink

Importantly Orks are about fun so it's hard to go too far wrong really. Have a look over at The Waagh for more inspiration.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28 2012, 20:34

Thanks alot Dark Mark.

I think, first, I'll have to get more boys from the options, as money is quite tight at the moment.
Thanks for the input. Battelforces shall definately be on my list.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to expand AoBR Orks.   How to expand AoBR Orks. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to expand AoBR Orks.
Page 1 of 1