THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sindalis
Slave

2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org Empty
PostSubject: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15 2012, 20:18

Hello there, I've been trying to adapt my DE army to 6th edition. But with each successive game I keep learning how assault is dead and shooting is king. Sadly dooming my wych squads to never spend time on a raid again, and be relegated to fighting in the arena. Consequently, I have been thinking of doing a list with maximum ranged firepower... this time taking in some of our misguided cousins from the craftworlds on a few raids as well.

The following is what i came up with, i would like the opinion of the Dark City for it if possible.

2000 Pts - Dark Eldar Roster

HQ: Baron Sathonyx (105 pts)

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (5x Kabalite Warriors, 1x Blaster, Venom, Splinter Cannon, 125 pts)

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (5x Kabalite Warriors, 1x Blaster, Venom, Splinter Cannon, 125 pts)

Fast Attack: Beastmasters (4x Beastmasters, 8x Razorwing Flock, 168 pts)

Heavy Support: Ravager (Night Shields, 115 pts)

Fortification: Aegis Defence Line w/ Quad Gun (100 pts)

Eldar Allies:

HQ: Eldrad Ulthran (210 pts)

Elite: Fire Dragons (5x Fire Dragons, 1x Fire Dragon Exarch, Tank Hunters, Crack Shot, 112 pts)

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (3x Guardian Jetbikes, 66 pts)

Fast Attack: Wasp Assault Walker Squadron (IA) (3x Wasp Assault Walkers, 6x Scatter Lasers, 210 pts)

Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron (3x War Walkers, 6x Scatter Lasers,180 pts)

Total: 1996 pts

This army is a mix of something I've not done before. It only has one assaulty unit. And, as you can see, It's designed rain hellfire down upon our less worthy foes from quite a distance..

It's also an interesting mix of Gunline Eldar and Highly Mobile Dark Eldar with lots of high priority objectives, no single one fault i can see that will cause it to shut down. Yes there is a lot of points invested in said gunline, but even if that is targeted first, they still have to deal with

The idea behind it is to put the Fire Dragons with Eldrad behind the Aegis Defense Line. Stick the exarch on the Quad Gun, and put both squads of War Walkers near for guide. Said squad of Fire Dragons and Eldrad, now have a 4+ cover save due to said defense line and a 2+ when they hit the dirt. Eldrad can even cast fortune on the squad, to make the save rerollable and harder to kill. Furthermore, if the game starts with night fighting, i can attach the Baron to the squad to give them Night Vision for a turn or so!

The walkers themselves have 4+ cover saves as the defense line is so tall it blocks 1/3 of the model, hence, everything behind it is covered.

This gives me 48 Guided scatter laser shots at bs3. The exarch mounted on the quad gun is shooting a heavy 4 str 7 ap 4 gun that's twin linked, hitting on a 2+, Rerolling all armor pen thanks to tank hunters, and ignoring any cover(jink) saves, night vision, with the interceptor rule as well as icing on the cake.

And they are still Fire Dragons, if some vehicle or unit is stupid enough to get close, well they have their boomsticks.

To boot this is only half the firepower, the other half coming from the venoms, each venom having 12 poisoned 4+ shots at 36", that's 48 poisoned shots just from the venoms, add their passengers and that's another 16 poisoned shots at 24".

Each squad has a blaster for emergency use, the Venoms are designed to sit back and shoot from afar, but if they REALLY need to they can rush forward and have a chance of stopping a tank or transport with their blaster in each infantry squad, 4 total.

3 Ravagers gives me 9 dark lance shots from 36" for heavily armored targets, or light tanks barring anything else.

The Guardian Jetbikes find a building and cower in fear till the last turn, where they make a mad dash grab to hold onto the shiny object *sigh* just about all they are good for.

In short, the sheer amount of firepower coming out of the units is staggering, everything having jink saves, cover saves, armor saves, or just I saves makes it easier to work with, and they are pretty hardy too! charging the defense line is an obvious choice, but if you do so you risk being surrounded by the faster DE units as they flank to attack from the rear.

The Baron bonus to going first really helps as well, and Baron just fits so well with beasts, its almost as if they were his bestest friend.

I quite like the list, but I am curious as to what anyone else thinks. Would any of the fellow denizens be able to offer their ideas or suggestions?

Edit: I'm really not sure the implications of bumping your own posts, but given its been a few weeks with no response, I would like to send this back to the front page for review by the fellow denizens of the Dark City

We try not to bump here, but if its been awhile, its ok. Just merging your double post though -Your Friendly Neighborhood Mod SR-

Last edited by Sindalis on Thu Dec 13 2012, 19:21; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rauky
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03 2012, 23:10

Sindalis wrote:
I'm really not sure the implications of bumping your own posts, but given its been a few weeks with no response, I would like to send this back to the front page for review by the fellow denizens of the Dark City

I think that is ok that you did or I would not have read your list. I like your list it wil prob work most games and hope you get night fighting Cool
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2012, 18:28

I would drop the war walkers and wasps for hornets. Way better, and BS 4 helps them out alot (actually, if you switch to corsairs as your ally, you dont need to take Eldrad, saving you a ton of points, and still be able to take Fire Dragons)

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Rauky
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2012, 19:17

but the wakers are what make it
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2012, 20:09

lol well Corsair Walkers are BS4 Razz

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Rauky
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2012, 20:15

true
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2012, 20:29

my problem with taking Eldar is that you have a large group of units NOT doing anything. Those fire dragons... just sitting there shooting a quad gun. Eldrad, while he does help the war walkers, does nothing else. Those wasps war walkers are doing nothing with the extra points you paid for the jet packs.

Also what fast elements you have are DE fragile, and will be picked off easily. After they are gone, people will just rip apart your firebase. Actually so many points is tied up into your firebase, and you have no counter-assault unit (and dont tell me firedragons, baron, and eldrad= counter assault)

Its just too much focused on sitting there, and you will be out manuvuered and out played too easily

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sindalis
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2012, 21:25

Shadows Revenge wrote:
my problem with taking Eldar is that you have a large group of units NOT doing anything. Those fire dragons... just sitting there shooting a quad gun. Eldrad, while he does help the war walkers, does nothing else. Those wasps war walkers are doing nothing with the extra points you paid for the jet packs.

Also what fast elements you have are DE fragile, and will be picked off easily. After they are gone, people will just rip apart your firebase. Actually so many points is tied up into your firebase, and you have no counter-assault unit (and dont tell me firedragons, baron, and eldrad= counter assault)

Its just too much focused on sitting there, and you will be out manuvuered and out played too easily

Good Critisisms!

Eldrad could be doing other things, Doom and Guide just happen to be his two best

I see what you mean about the firebase issue It is a lot of points tied up, the wasps really are there because I cant have two units of war walkers, their jet packs are really just a bonus to the 30 points extra a heavy support choice normally takes

I've actually considered hornets on many occasions, just that I haven't yet seen the need for them. Biggest Issue I have with hornets is wargear, If i went scatter lasers, why wouldn't I just take the war walkers, as they are cheaper and have the same long range. If i was to take bright lances why am i not using the points for another Ravager? Details

Frail Defines DE, I've considered using boats instead of sharks (raiders instead of venoms) but with the current meta all those extra lances are really not needed, and the sharks splinter cannons just end up being too useful. Similar they are easier to hide than the boats. I am starting to see larger infantry squads outside of light transports, but in my local meta, still a whole lot of light transports.

I see your point about a good counter assault unit. In 5th i used to use two squads of 10 wyches, lashnets, heca /w agonizer as an Anvil, with a squad of incubi w/ an archon as a "hammer" to eat through power armored units or tie up terminators. In 6th though, nether one of those units seems to be as good as they were before, the 6th update hasn't been kind to wyches in exploding boats, random charge distances, fleet changes, would allocation changes, FNP nerf/change, and overwatch seems to have had had the cumulative effect of making my "Anvil" squad into just a minor bump, and my "hammer" squad into a squeaky toy.

another big problem is the current online meta vs local meta, is my local meta is still using lots of light transports, Hence my need for the ability to take them out, similarly, they are also picking up a few vendetta's and other fliers, making life difficult, hence my need for reliable anti air... but giving up a ravager for... *sigh*, Hence the idea for the scatter lasers, with 24 guided shots that's still ~7ish hits on a flier, averaging 1-2 glances depending on AV, not perfect, but better than just about anything unless i give up a ravager for a flier, and then have to find out to replace the lances.

I've considered Eldar Corsairs as well, but I don't consider them a viable alternative, one of the big reasons to bring Eldar was for a farseer (not necessarily Eldrad), that has runes of warding, providing physic defense. Last time i checked i cant get this from Corsairs. Again, local meta is a lot of Space Wolf, IG, Blood Angels, and Grey Knights.

Really boiling down to it, i see two weakness's in my own list, one its a firebase, not moble with a mobile force, if they go after the firebase i can circle around but if they kill my mobility then im kinda in the middle of stuck.

Two, I have nothing to counter assault with, going over ideas... I've considered dropping the Reavers and instead getting beasts... would that work better especially if i put them with Baron? Aaaah what i wouldn't give to be able to put an archon or a homunculus on a jetbike.

anyway I've ranted quite a bit, does anyone in the city have an idea how to improve upon this list? Where to go from here?

EDIT: Been thinking about your criticism's. How about replacing the squad of jetbikes with a squad of beastmaters. say four beasts and 8 razorwing flocks. Stick them with the baron and use them as a counter assault/assault unit?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org   2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2000 Pts - Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies - Single Force Org
Page 1 of 1