THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Basing Models

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Drev
Hellion

Basing Models Empty
PostSubject: Basing Models   Basing Models I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03 2012, 22:27

So I wanted to actually play games right away so I glued together models and bases. Now I am painting and trying to fix some things that I have done wrong or could have done better. I am writing this hoping that:
1) I, and others, can avoid future mistakes.
2) I can get some practical advice on how to fix some of my current mistakes and make my models shine.

First up, I would like to address basing. I’m not talking about color schemes, materials, etc. I am seeking practical advice on how some of the exceptional modellers/painters here at TDC actually do this and how I might ‘fix’ what I have done wrong. I have lurked for some time now and have read pretty much everything but there are some things that I’m just not grasping.

- From what I have read on project logs, etc. I gather that a commonly accepted practice is to paint the bases and the models separately before permanently gluing together. I now understand how this makes things so much easier but I want to confirm, is this a correct statement?
- I have also read about temporarily attaching models to make painting easier; how does one actually do this?
- How do you make the model grass (GW or other) look good? Is it put down PVA (wood, white, craft) glue, dump grass, and then blow on it; or some other method?

- So, on to my current issue. I have a bunch of models super glued onto bare bases. Some are, finally, reasonably painted and I would like to ‘base’ them to finish them off. I tried with a painted kabalite warrior and the results looks like my warrior is sinking in quicksand. - side note: get your hands on a couple old/junk/who cares models and use them to test all your theories on before ruining your new/expensive/highly anticipated models that you have just spend hours painting and are finally happy with. Yes, some of us learn best the hard way but, trust me, it is better not to make this mistake too many times. – Thankfully I stopped before basing an entire force in the quicksand alien marsh but I am debating on how to proceed. I would love some advice. Do I:
a. break/cut the models from the bases they are on, finish up the bases properly and then glue the models back on? If so, how can I do this without breaking them off at the ankles?
b. keep them on their bases and just limit the amount of basing material near their feet?
c. let the whole force sink in the alien quicksand?
d. something else I am not clever enough to come up with on my own?

-Thanks so much. I hope this helps someone else as much as it will help me.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

Basing Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basing Models   Basing Models I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03 2012, 22:52

I'm super tired and almost falling asleep, so excuse my crap grammar and stuff, but here's my very quick guide to preventing your models from sinking in alien sand:

- A: Pinning. First build your model. Then build your base accordingly while making sure with a lot of dry-fitting, that the figure can actually stand on it. Then glue the model on the base with super glue. As the miniature will likely come loose again if glued to a very uneven surface, drill a small 1mm hole from the underside of the base through one or both feet (or whatever part is touching the ground), but not enough to break through on top. If it happens, just green stuff it over. Then, stick a small piece of wire up the drilled tunnel and seal it with plastic glue. Your miniature will not break ever again.

-B: High heels. No, really. First build your model, then glue a piece of plasticard or cardboard or whatever it is you have laying around there under the soles of the feet of your miniature. Take care to shave overlapping parts off, i.e. there shouldn't be anything of the heel material visible if looking from above. Then glue it all to the naked base. Now apply your sand or whatever it is you're using to base your models. You will notice that you no longer have the alien quicksand effect.

Both methods require you to take the miniatures off their bases again, though. Take a sharp knife to do so, and slowly but firmly cut between the feet and the base with slow sawing motions. Try not to apply too much pressure on the model itself, but instead hold onto the base.

For different approaches on how to do bases, check out my project log. Wink

Drev
Hellion

Basing Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basing Models   Basing Models I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03 2012, 23:04

Danke, and now my German is exhausted other than asking for beer.

- Pinning, I like it. I will try it with a couple of old models until I am comfortable and then probably use it for many of the finished products. That is a definite plus.

- Slow, sharp knife... got it.

- I like the log. Love the bases, especially on the reavers. Great work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Basing Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basing Models   Basing Models I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Basing Models
Page 1 of 1