THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

painting skin

Go down 
+4
Siticus the Ancient
ravengoescaw
Dogmar
Black Wolf
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Wolf
Slave

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07 2013, 14:39

Hi all,

I was curious, how do you paint DE skin? or maybe to be similiar to the models in the codex?

like what colours do you use?

thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07 2013, 17:04

I like mine pale. Rakarth flesh base, some shading with pink and purple (for purple you can use the watered down wash, pink you'd have to mix by yourself). then reapplying rakarth flesh to blend the shading in. After that you can gradually add white to rakarth flesh until you're happy with the result. If you like extremes you might want to go pure white for a final highlight, but be careful with that and don't overdo it.

For a more human looking skin colour I'd advise shades of brownish colours (Ogryn Flesh) and colours like the old Tanned Flesh and Elf Flesh... looks more like they did see the sun sometimes.
Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07 2013, 21:48

I use daemonette flesh as a base then slowly ad white to is for smaller and smaller highlights

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07 2013, 23:05

I do it in the following way. The base is Dheneb Stone (Rakarth Flesh), then a wash of Badab Black (Nuln Oil). I then reapply a thinner coat of Dheneb Stone (Rakarth Flesh) again, then a coat of Pallid Wych flesh as a highlight, with a final highlight of Skull White. Comes out very similar to the alabaster white skin they are described to have in the novels.

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 04:01

I have a bluish-grey tint using Russ Grey, wash with purple/brown, highlighted with Fortress Grey with more white added to the detail highlights.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
DingK
Sybarite
DingK

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 06:33

I also use Dheneb Stone as a basecoat, then apply Reikland Fleshshade but ONLY in the recesses. I don't leave enough to puddle, otherwise it will get too dark.
After that, I use Pallid Wych Flesh to highlight.
Back to top Go down
greater_fishy
Slave

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08 2013, 10:23

I base coat with either Celestra Grey or Administratum Grey ( I can't remember which now) wash with Null Oil and then drybrush with the Grey and then lightly drybrush white.

I like the contrast the black wash gives to it, it makes it look kinda cruel and unforgiving... or maybe I'm thinking too much Smile
Back to top Go down
http://guysandmodels.blog.com/
orestes85
Hellion
orestes85

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14 2013, 23:20

Hey guys,

A lot of you are mentioning applying a shade after the basecoat and I've read some tutorials online using this technique. Unfortunately its making it too dark and it clumpy. I've tried putting little on but still has the same result. I end up having to add the base layer over most of the flesh again.

DingK, you said you are only applying the shade to the recesses, I think I am going to give that a try.

Any other advice? It seems when I put the shade on it really ruins everything.

I am doing a Rakarth Flesh layer then adding Drakenhof Nightshade. Comes out really dark and uneven. What am I doing wrong? Also, do you guys change what you are doing for faces?

Thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15 2013, 00:13

I only apply to the recesses. You might try to thin the wash slightly. The GW guides often show touching up after a wash with the base color, though I skip this by just shading the recesses. I would try to add a bit of brown(Agrrax I think?) to the purple wash. Probably a 3:1 pruple/brown to make the skin tone work a bit better. Hope this helps!

Back to top Go down
orestes85
Hellion
orestes85

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15 2013, 02:30

So to do recesses only, it means you have very very little ink on your brush i guess. I'll give it a go, do you a similar think for faces?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15 2013, 04:30

Especially faces.

Back to top Go down
DingK
Sybarite
DingK

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15 2013, 06:19

orestes85 wrote:

DingK, you said you are only applying the shade to the recesses, I think I am going to give that a try.

Any other advice? It seems when I put the shade on it really ruins everything.

I use a fine detail brush to apply the shade. It helps to stay in the recesses, AND the brush can´t soak up a lot of wash, preventing most of the puddling.

Also remember you can ´suck up´ wash with a clean brush. So if too much stays in a certain spot, wipe your brush clean and touch it to the puddle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

painting skin Empty
PostSubject: Re: painting skin   painting skin I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

painting skin
Page 1 of 1