THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Skyshield Landing Pad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Skyshield Landing Pad Empty
PostSubject: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 13:49

This is listed in the Fortifications section of the rulebook (page 115). This says:

Quote :
Units on top of a shielded Skyshield Landing Pad have a 4+ invulnerable save against enemy Shooting attacks
Under cover saves (page 18), fortifications are shown as giving a 3+ cover save. Assuming I have the model of the landing pad with the side panels 'up', like this:

Skyshield Landing Pad M210081a_99120199016_Skyshield_445x319

If I place a model on the pad and it is 25% or more hidden from a unit firing at it, can I choose to take a 3+ cover save instead of the 4+ invulnerable?

The answer to me seems to be a straightforward "yes" but I'm sure I will encounter arguments so just wanted to sound out some other opinions.
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 14:08

I would have to say no.

Specific rules always over-ride general ones. Much like an Aegis defense line, which is also technically a fortification, only gives a 4+ cover save.

Personally I have found that there is almost no scenario when you'll get the 3+ save other than a "purpose built fortification" that you and your opponent agree counts as such.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 14:18

I see what you're saying but the Skyshield rules make no mention of invalidating cover saves. They give you an invulnerable but why would that remove a cover save that, in any other situation, would apply?
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 14:41

Oops! I hadn't looked at the words closely enough to see that it was a 4+ invulnerable save rather than a cover save.

You have given me pause for thought. I suspect you'll get arguements to say that it is effectively a battlement from a cover save persepective rather than a fortification cover save. But that said I do think you'd have a viable arguement to the contrary.

Very interesting. I am going to have to discuss that one with my gaming group as there is certainly merit to your position. We've been struggling to figure out when the 3+ cover save for fortifications in the book would apply, and this may be a valid example.
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:18

that sir...is a really good question lol i have no clue
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:32

I suspect the 3+ fortification is actually a copy paste from 5e. I mainly want to know because a) 3+ is obviously better than 4+ unless you're up against Ignore Cover weapons and b) you can't got to ground with an invulnerable but you can with a cover (2+ cover save in this case).
Back to top Go down
ligolski
Wych
ligolski

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:42

i guess id go with both until someone can prove otherwise
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09 2013, 15:47

I've e-mailed the GW gamefaqs address so maybe they'll answer in the next FAQ.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14 2013, 14:36

personally I would say no, as the 3+ fortification rule is from 5th and what the model is. Its basically if you arent using one of GW pieces of terrain and need to give a piece of terrain a numerical cover save. Its like saying that the ADL is a fortification and gives you a 3+ coversave due to that rule.

Although I would say its GW's terrible writing at work, I dont think you get both.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyshield Landing Pad   Skyshield Landing Pad I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyshield Landing Pad
Page 1 of 1