THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. Empty
PostSubject: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09 2013, 13:48

I put too much thought into this list not to share it. Considering the only armies I ever face are space marines, with the exception of Orks ONCE. I'm currently restructuring some things, and considering I have almost no experience against armies that are NOT space marines I could use a critique on what I've come up with.

HQ
Archon
Blaster
Shadow Field
105 points

Elite
3 of -
Kabalite Trueborn:
6 models
2x Dark Lance, 4x Blaster
Raider
Dark Lance
Night Shields
252 points

Troops
6 of -
Kabalite Warriors:
5 models
1x Blaster
Raider
Disintegrator Cannon
120 points

Heavy Support:

2 of-
Ravager
Disintegrator Cannonx3
Night Shields
115 points

1 of -
Razorwing Jetfighter
2x Disintegrator Cannons
Monoscythe Missiles
Flickerfields
155 points

That leaves me with 30 points to slap night shields or flicker fields on stuff. And now That I'm looking at it, I might want to leave the dark lances on the Jetfighter in case I meet any flyer... and I just happen to hit it. So in theory this list should shred space marines, I wonder if I'm mssing something and how awful it would be against other less fortified armies.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11 2013, 23:51

The majority of your anti-tank is combined into those units of Trueborn, which are really expensive. If their Raider gets downed, that's a lot of points stranded. You also aren't terribly mobile with the dark lances being carried by members of the squad. In addition to that, they should overkill any vehicle they shoot at - you probably don't need to put that many shots into anything. Taking those dark lance wielding guys out of those three units would save you over two hundred points - a lot of points for six guys, especially in a Dark Eldar list - which you could spend on vehicle upgrades elsewhere to make your transports more survivable. Flickerfields are back in vogue with the amount of things that ignore cover, and Night Shields are good too. You could get a whole unit in a Raider for those points too.

I've taken to always fielding a squad of ten Warriors with a blaster in a Raider with splinter racks in every list - I've found them to be a really powerful tool that dependably puts wounds on anything they fire at. The blaster is a nasty "back pocket" sort of tool to pull out that I don't depend on to always do damage, but because I as the firing player determine the order wounds are resolved in, I can force a 2+ armour save model leading a squad to take any wound that it might cause and be insta-killed by it. Even without the blaster they're really good. I'd combine a couple of those small warrior squads into one to do that though, it's not so good doing it with just five. Yes, it's pricey for anti-infantry shooting, but I've found it works for me Smile 

I like the amount of disintegrators in this list, it will be a real headache for marines. However, both Ravagers having them might be overkill, and giving one of them lances would spread lance power across the list a bit more.

I wouldn't bother putting lances on the Razorwing though. I did, and I regret it every time I field it (which is an increasingly rare occurrence). It's for firing at infantry, and giving it lances means you might kill another two marines instead of a potential six.

In terms of whether it'd be good against other armies... I'd swap a couple of Raiders for Venoms to give yourself a bit more inexpensive anti-infantry fire. The amount of shots they put out is just ludicrous. The list init's current form will be really good at killing foot or lightly mechanised marines, but might struggle against something like Orks or Tyranids, who won't care about the amount of losses they take as they walk implacably towards you and swamp you in bodies. Daemons might prove difficult as well, with a lot of points invested in AP2 weaponry which doesn't bother them in the slightest. But then I've only played against Daemons once, and still don't have a ton of ideas for dealing with them Sad Venoms. More Venoms.

Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12 2013, 11:54

I've actually retooled the list a lot since I posted this, I've had way too much free time lately as I'm stuck in between states and unable to do any work. This time I actually factored in the cost of units. And a lot of what you said is absolutely true. I think this new list is a lot more balanced and will still destroy marines just as nicely. Pretty obsessed with killing them. I pretty much hate their guts.

HQ (145pts)

Archon
Agoniser, Combat Drugs, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Shadow field

Elites (479pts)

Incubi (180pts)
5x Incubi
Raider
Disintegrator, Flickerfield

Kabalite Trueborn (126)
3x Trueborn
Shredder, 2x Splinter Cannon
Venom
Flickerfield, 2xSplinter Cannon

Kabalite Trueborn (173pts)
4x Trueborn
4x Blaster
Venom

Troops (785pts)
4x
Kabalite Warriors (175pts)
10x Kabalite Warrior
Blaster
Splinter Cannon
Raider
Dark Lance (1 with Disintegrator)

2x
Wyches (125pts)
Venom
5x Wyches
5x Haywire grenades

Fast Attack (210pts)

Beastmasters (210pts)
5x Beastmaster
10x
Razorwing Flock

Heavy Support (345pts)

Ravager (115pts)
Disintegrator, Disintegrator, Disintegrator, Flickerfield

Ravager (115pts)
Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Flickerfield

Talos Pain Engine (115pts)
Twin-linked heat lance, Twin-Linked Liquifier gun

I feel pretty comfortable with this list against most SM armies. Somehow I overlooked Razorwing Flocks in the codex, 5 rending attacks per model? Ridiculous! I've never used beastmasters at all. I added the pain engine, because he can pretty much stomp space marines in and out of combat. Upped the count on warriors just to get another splinter cannon. Added some wyches to taste. Much like you suggested two ravagers with DCs is overkill but one of each creates a dual threat that's hard to pick which is more of one. All of our HQs aside from the Hammy excel in assault so I stuck the archon (originally it was a succubus but I had a lot of leftover points) with the incubi to curb stomp just about anything. Then I kind of implemented the same strategy with trueborn I did with the ravager. So I blow up 25 poison shots, or 4 blasters and 12 poison shots.

And even with all those options I still havr 46 pointd left. I could either add nightshields to some vehicles, or tool up the archon with a huskblade and soul trap. Unless someone can tell me a better way to spend it.

I can pretty much field this army with the exception of the razorwingflocks and beastmasters. Might be a while too. It's a $260 unit.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12 2013, 14:39

Beastmasters are depressingly and dishearteningly pricey aren't they? That iteration looks a bit more balanced for taking on a variety of lists, and will still shred marines nicely!

The leftover points would be fun to spend on Night Shields. They're great for messing with the strategy of your opponent, as it's easier to keep out of melta range and that sort of thing. It's always fun when they forget about them too!

There have many debates about which is better - Talos or Cronos. I'd go with Cronos for taking on marines, just look at all that AP3 weaponry! The random attacks characteristic for the Talos is quite annoying too. Also the Cronos is cheaper. The Talos has a place too, it's still a viable option - but the Cronos is deceptively good.

Sybarite
Timatron

PostSubject: Re: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15 2013, 21:45

If you've got wyches, save up some of the blank mask heads, get yourself a box of Hellions= 5 Beastmasters. I've been looking around for cheaper ways to get the flocks myself. The kings of war range have these funny sort of vulture things for undead, but I'm not fully sold on them yet. I agree with Mr b about the Talos/Cronos thing, especially against marines. If you've got points left over, you might consider a Webway Portal on the Archon, get that engine upfield rather than tromping all the way across the board; also useful for cancelling out any counter charges that might threaten to bog down your Archon.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16 2013, 23:50

I kind of figured the bit about converting hellions and wyches into beastmasters, but what vultures are you talking about? I checked the mantic website and didn't see anything.

As for the cronos, I'm usually a HUGE supporter of him. He's done more for me in games than any other unit I think. I will probably try both out, I just think the talos is better in this instance. Unlike the Cronos he wounds on a 2+ in assault, and has a veritable buttload more attacks... well on average anyway. Think he has a higher WS too, but my book is packed up at the moment. And yeah, the pie plate generally kills a marine, but a twin linked heat lance will probably kill a marine as well, but also has the versatility to pop a vehicle.

PostSubject: Re: Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.   Who has paper armor now? 2000 points. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who has paper armor now? 2000 points.
Page 1 of 1