THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Best flyer available to us? What loadout?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

Best flyer available to us? What loadout? Empty
PostSubject: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24 2014, 23:32

So, I want to include a flyer in one of the two the campaign armies I'm having to quickly list-write for and for the 'HQ Defence' force I really like the idea of a massive webway portal (Skyshield fortification) and a flyer. I'm using Craftworlders quite a bit as I've always loved their models but never played 6th ed until now.

So my question is, which flyer is the best available to us and what would the optimal loadout be?

The list includes:

- Razorwing Jetfighter
- Vodraven Bomber
- Crimson Hunter
- Hemlock Wraithfigher
- Nightwing Jetfighter
- Phoenix Bomber

All of these are 40k approved. I'm currently leaning towards either the Wraithfighter for LD shenanigans or the Phoenix Bomber for its weaponry and strafing run rule.

Roc
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24 2014, 23:57

In order to answer the question, we would need to know what role you would like it to fulfill? Given our problems with AA, I think a Crimson Hunter might be worth a look. If you're looking for ground support, I would take the razorwing over the hemlock most likely. Though I don't know enough about the Phoenix tbh.
Back to top Go down
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior
dangerous beans

PostSubject: Re: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 01:51

Heya Roc, thanks for your response - yeah you're totally right. The role to fullfill should be as versatile as possible as its a defence force for a campaign so I have no idea what my opponents would attack with!

I think that my Defence Force will be including a Farseer who likely choose some powers on Telepathy. If so then the Wraithfighter would be a good choice. However all of the flyers have arguments for being good in multirole capacities.

I will be having an aegis defence line equivalent (lots of zombie bodies and space marine bits piled up in a bit long wall should do the trick!) with a quad gun too so I have a little AA already.

Also, its likely that I'll use one or 2 War Walkers as fire support and these can be equipped as AA too (although its quite costly!). I love the idea of the Voidraven bomber equipped with 2 implosion missiles (I know, its not the most efficient payload - no missiles is the most efficient, but I want to put the living fear of god into my opponents, even if its momentary before the missiles scatter off! Laughing) but I know in my heart that it isn't really built as a multipurpose flyer, even if it is immune to S4 fire/bolters...

The razorwing seems too lacklustre in my opinion. The Crimson Hunter is too specific, the Wraithfighter lacks a sufficient weapon payload and the Nightwing is supposed to be expensive (I don't have the rules for it yet though).

As for reference...

Phoenix Bomber: worth the same as 22.5 naked wyches (yum! Razz)
HP: 3
Amour: 10 all round
Special Rules:
- deep strike
- supersonic
- shrouded
- vector dancer
- strafing run

Wargear:
- 2 shuri cannons
- 2 phoenix missile launchers (each is 48" S5 AP3 Hvy3)
- pulse laser (48" S8 Ap2 Hvy3)
Option to replace pulse laser with either TL Bright Lance or TL Starcannon for free
Option to replace both Phoenix Launchers with 2 Nightfire Missile Launchers (48" S4 AP5 Hvy 3, Blast, ignores cover, pinning) for 10pts.

Its nice but expensive. Is it worth it? I don't think so, especially as it can only fire 4 of its 5 weapons per turn. Still, it fits the bill as an all rounder and its shrouded adds to the save if it has to pull an emergency evasion...

Roc
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 02:05

That's fairly awesome, but... seriously expensive. I suppose the real question is where are you afraid the weaknesses are in your defense force? Where does that force need filling out?

If you're looking for the most flexible all-round vehicle, I might think it might even be a voidraven w/4 monoscythe missiles for under 19 wyches.
Back to top Go down
the baron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 05:03

I seem to recall a thread before eldar came out, praising a Voidraven with Flickerfields and two Shatterfield missiles as our ideal TAC aircraft. Probably backed up by an Aegis Defense Line.

Personally I've got a soft spot for a Razorwing Jet with Disintegrator Cannons, nightshields or flickerfields optional. It's great to have something come onto the board and wipe a unit off the board that turn, then threaten to do it again the turn after.

Though, honestly, our aircraft kind of pale in comparison to the vendetta or helldrakes. I've heard of a handful of DE players just discount flyers altogether and commit to playing around them.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 25 2014, 05:28

If I were to go a flyer, the night wing wins hands down. Agile, great fire power, almost impossible to shoot down and cheap

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best flyer available to us? What loadout?   Best flyer available to us? What loadout? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best flyer available to us? What loadout?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: