THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)

Go down 
+15
Aeterna
thesaltedwound
Tittliewinks22
PartridgeKing
Alpharius
the_dukes_scion
Trystis
Evil Space Elves
spellcheck2001
Lord_Alino
Khain mor
Gobsmakked
Dragontree
Squidmaster
durahamter
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2014, 09:05

Artix Korona Kabal

Playing on Artic, Corona for the sun flare because the orange kind of glows/flares at you.

Artic feels a bit too english a word for me to do justice to your spiky brilliance

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2014, 09:34

These guys are amazing, such a dramatic scheme! If you're thinking about Arctic themed names, a phrase that always comes up when people are writing about the North is "arctic blast" to conjure the image of a really sudden, sharp and freezing wind!
Just what came to mind when I saw those Reavers Smile

durahamter
Hellion
durahamter

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 21:05

@Dragontree: Wow! Actually it’s a nice name for the Kabal, but the only thing it’s kind of Latin-ish? :-/. Latin in the fluff is kind of imperial. But the word Artix kept me thinking somehow.

@thesaltedwound: Hmmm… I think I kind of like it, I’m not so sure, probably something like “Artic Blast of Despair”, maybe it’s too long. But thinking it deeply, I might go for it.

“Kabal of the Arctic Blast of Despair”, “Kabal of the Glacial Blast of Despair”, “Kabal of the Artic Blaze of Sorrow”, now that I’m thinking of it, I will go for it.

From nowadays forward the Kabal shall be named as:

“Kabal of the Arctic Blast”

Thank you @thesaltedwound,credits to you of the naming of my Kabal.

Now going back to updates, I’m not too fond in showing WIP, but I got to admit that this is my fist try using an airbrush besides for base coating purposes,

I got to confess that I made a huge mess in my kitchen, spilled all tones of blues here and there, but alas I’m grateful that I took the risk. Now I’m going to start all kind of touchups ( I think I have enough of airbrushing for the day)starting with the shadows and drawing those lines hoping to achieve a sort of glowing effect in my vehicles.

It was also amazing that despite making a huge mess, practically my bronze basecoat was virtually untouched by the blue paint. So two thumbs on that, I hope a make a better use of the airbrush next time.

But trust me guys, pictures helps to hide all sort of errors and I assure you all that it doesn’t looks all neat seeing the miniature with your own eyes. :-P

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-015

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-016

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-017

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-018

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-019

And a folly picture, out of boredom

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-020
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2014, 21:12

My heart did a little jump when I noticed the new name of this thread! I'm glad you liked it Very Happy

That raider is going to look beautiful, the unveil of the bronze was a great moment. Can't wait to see you make use of all that freehand space!

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 10:50

Looking very, very nice. Kudos.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
durahamter
Hellion
durahamter

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 13:31

@thesaltedwound: Oh yes! I’m pretty much into the name of the Kabal at the moment. I utterly love it. I made some touchups last night to the raider. I will show more WIP when there is truly something worth to show up. Don’t get your hopes too high on the freehand, I’m kind of scared of ruining the model, with a bland mistake :-S Neutral

@Squidmaster: Nice to hear from you again and thanks for the kudos!
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2014, 22:16

Very, Very beautiful army. Will you be picking up any of the new models?
Back to top Go down
durahamter
Hellion
durahamter

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 01:30

@Lord_Alino: Oh yes sir! I plan to order all the new models in one go! But that will be by Christmas. Just ordered the Archon edition with the dark eldar datacards :-P, meaning that I already spend my budget for the rest of the year.

I’m actually hoping to own each and every model of the dark elder range, except for the old 3rd editions ones, that to be honest; I’m not too fond with it (sadly).

The only problem at the moment it’s that they are several models that are not worth the cost and are not quite appealing (IMHO). I’m referring to the Khymerae, Clawed Fiend, Sslyth and Ur Ghul, which I don’t consider them to be dark eldar per se. But I think I will purchase them one day, if I really want to keep to my own personal goals of collecting the whole range.

Well in the case of the Khymerae, I acquired some fenrisian wolves for that purpose. I think it comes out quite well, to keep on with the artic theme of the army.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 01:46

Archon Edition... -eye cringe-

That better be worth it. If I heard correctly doesn't it come with the Coven Supplement?
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 01:48

Fenrisian Khymerae would fit the theme really well! Remember they're supposed to be literally nightmares made corporeal, and people hanging around on icy worlds probably have a lot of bad dreams about wolves!
I'm afraid you may not like my kabal after all, I have a large number of 3rd ed models... Hope I can change your mind!

durahamter
Hellion
durahamter

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 13:29

@Lord_Alino: Well??... Probably it’s not totally worth it. I think the premium price that you pay is for supposedly to be one the few who has all three of the new books (that means the coven supplement is in there  bounce ) in a nice hardback bookcase, and not actually the products such what it is (like in many things that we buy). I have seen a lot of people trying to estimate the cost of the archon edition. Well let’s try  Razz :

Dark Eldar Codex and Coven book $49,50 each, that means $99. Painting books costs $33. That adds up $132. Six acrylic objectives, let’s say it’s $8, the same as the units datasheets 8$. That adds up, $148. But we must take into account that all three of the books, aren’t the ordinary GW hardback books, there are supposed to be made with a greater quality than the main hardback books, so that should push up the prices of each and every one of the volumes. Let’s say that the cost of the Dark Eldar Codex and Coven are now $67 and the painting book is now $50. But that sums up $200 (with the datasheets and objectives markers). The $50 that is left is the premium value that you are paying for being one of the few of possessing such a collection  Question .

The main reason of buying this collection is for my future project of having this army in a display cabinet. But don’t worry this army will see the field of action, pretty soon.

@thesaltedwound: jajajaja LOL well I do appreciate all the work that the members bring to this forum. The only thing that I have against the 3rd edition models, is their 80sh punkish looks. Looks like David Bowie was the main inspiration of many of the Dark Eldar looks back in those times. You imagine Vect looking like this.

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 Labyrinth-david-bowie-31564812-1780-1173

But I got to admite that it does looks quite fine  LOL, but it’s just not my style/thing
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 13:47

He reminds me of the babe...

Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 13:49

What babe?

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Aeterna
Kabalite Warrior
Aeterna

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 30 2014, 15:37

The babe with the power.

Anyways love the look, usually people go either dark or bright with Deldar, and so few can pull off the latter well. You are one of those few, love the blue with the bronze metal, nice clashing colors at just the right amount.

"Hear our call children of the void, listen to the screams of your brothers and sisters, see the raining ash from your home. Do you have what it takes to stand back up, or will you fall like so many before you."
                                                                                                      -  Zorev Norterus, Archon of the Immortal Eclipse
                Kabal of the Immortal Eclipse | Coven of the Shadow Flesh | Cult of the Black Rage
Back to top Go down
durahamter
Hellion
durahamter

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02 2014, 13:12

What power?

@Aeterna: Thanks! It did come out well after all; I’m after the striking look on these guys.
To be honest I’ve never though that I was going to like painting the raider, this is good, because I still have two ravagers and raiders to paint.

Painting updates have been slim for the unsuspecting eyes. But I started edge highlighting the armor and plates, using a huge mix and hues of blues. Already in some parts I barely made it to the last highlight, but there are still parts that I haven’t started with the highlight.

I notice the importance use of using duct tape or something similar on the extreme edges of the model to avoid paint chipping. I was quite concern with the runes at first (to the point of not doing any), it's hard to fix a mistake on top of a airbrush paintjob  Mad (brush strokes are kind of visible), but give it a try, and the runes came out just fine in my opinion, just need some orange highlights and we are done on those runes.  cheers

So as you guys can see, progress has been slow (as always  Razz . Right after the blue, I will finish the runes and then the bronze later on.

After the raider, I’m not sure what to paint next; I have in mind a talos, a ravager, an incubi squad of five, or an archon (lieutenant). I haven’t decided, but it will be nice to paint something that the blog will like to follow up.  Rolling Eyes

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-021

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-110

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 2014-111
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02 2014, 14:08

Looking good as always! My vote is for the talos next, I'd love to see your take on it.

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02 2014, 21:45

thesaltedwound wrote:
Looking good as always! My vote is for the talos next, I'd love to see your take on it.

I'll second this.
Back to top Go down
durahamter
Hellion
durahamter

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2014, 13:07

I just started my coven units, started to paint a talos and cronos. I might throw in the working station a Hemonculus. I forgot to post some pictures of my finish raider, so here they are. I haven’t sealed it yet with varnish, because I thought to redo the blades that I still have difficulty to paint.

It took me ages to finish, but I love the scheme that came out just well. I’m quite pleased.

I’m not so hopeless to be honest, one raider took me a month or so to finish, that’s pretty much. But I also thought that this army will be a long term one after all, so why not takes your time. But yet again I have planned to paint a space marine and an eldar army during my lifetime, I’m thinking to sell that stuff, and go full dark eldar, because I also have in line a High Elf army, a Dark Elf army, Bretonnia and some bolt action, miniatures (in other words I need more time).

Sometimes I wish that my job is painting these things, because I can’t stop thinking about getting home and grabbing my brush and start working, but we all have personal commitments, and most of the time I only have one hour or half an hour to spare a day to paint.

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 15706959461_6e3a706c37_b
Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 15088915994_1720f0a0dd_b
Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 15523674077_9f129319d9_b
Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 15710433422_df712492a1_b
Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 15710434602_8cb17fe1c7_b

I manage to paint the crew in just three days, so that made me happy (somewhat). Made tons of mistake that consume more time I guess. Here is a group shot to see how the forces blend together.

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 15523455948_368e631298_b
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2014, 17:17

Well that really looks good (the single raider & the group)! You can really be proud of your work.
I'm just glad that there are others that paint as slow as I do ;-)

Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2014, 17:24

You guys may paint slowly, but both of your armies are beautiful and fill me with murderous jealous rage.

How very True Kin of you Razz

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Aroban
Kabalite Warrior
Aroban

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2014, 21:08

Your models look really awesome. Really nice to see how well they are done

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04 2014, 22:13

I love all of that but the raider sail is AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05 2014, 06:15

The time is definitely well spent, Your models look gorgeous!
The love for detail really adds to the already great colour scheme and execution.

Teetengee
Hellion
Teetengee

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07 2014, 05:27

Soooo pretty....

Also, I wouldn't give up on a space marine army some day, they are generally much easier to paint than eldar.

http://heretherebemonsters40k.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)   Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Artic Blast (Just Starting an Dark Eldar Project) (Update November 4th 2014 Raider)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2