THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

I actually LIKE the new Codex!

Go down 
+17
dmateja
Anterzhul
spellcheck2001
Elzadar
Klaivex Charondyr
lessthanjeff
Jehoel
The_Burning_Eye
Count Adhemar
False Son
barenone
El_Jairo
Grimcrimm
Creeping Darkness
Thor665
Laughingcarp
Fauxmonculus
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:22

I think in this codex they gave with one and and took with the other. Some units are awesome now (scourges, grots, reavers) while others are utter pants (wyches, hellions) while all our hq's are fairly middling tbh. I got to say I am pretty disappointed with this dex and I am no tournament gamer. I would like a dex where all options are viable and I don't have to buy another supplement to make certain units even playable. I am sure I time I will grow to like what we have but a lot of the faults with the last codex have not been fixed and we still languish in the realms of mid table obscurity. The SW codex is a shining example of a 7th ed codex well thought out and it is extremely playable, with most if not all units viable on The table top. All I am asking GW is that we can have this for all dexes and my lovingly crafted and painted models can be used in a game without them being utterly useless and losing all the time as a result. Rant over Smile

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:38

spellcheck2001 wrote:
I would like a dex where all options are viable and I don't have to buy another supplement to make certain units even playable.

There isn't (as far as I know) a single codex in which every unit is decent

Even tau have bad units!

Overall, Still on 0 games, but just by reading I must say I like this book, welcome change from archon/3 x Blasterborn/6x Blaster Warriors/3 Ravagers venom spam
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:42

Indeed.
Played 3 won 2, scuppered in the game i lost due to trying out a list with only 2 lances against adeptus mechanicus, which contained a lot of models who require us to re-roll successful wounds with poison weapons

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:44

True. I will say that the disappearance of the beast star is certainly welcome in my book but I do not think this dex has reduced venom spam at all, in fact in actively encourages it, and true born with blasters are still viable (albeit with an extra model). It is still quite a mono build book (certainly from a competitive level) to the last, although I am a fluffy player at heart, and tent to run with what I have painted and fancy, rather than what is the current ginger biscuit in the digestive pile so to speak

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 15:57

it'd be interesting to see what the competitive tourney players think to builds like flyer spam, coven builds etc and how many codices they think have viable competitive multi-builds - whilst I don't like to lose (who does) i still play only at a local level (I'd like to do a tourney but cost is prohibitive for me)

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 16:04

Tbh I usually just play at my local gaming club, which is usually pretty friendly both in Iists and persons Smile. I will be interested too about how the tourney gamers will view the dex and what they will come up with ( no doubt allied to eldar in some form Very Happy )

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 16:05

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
(I'd like to do a tourney but cost is prohibitive for me)

Whilst not the most competitive of events, certainly nothing like NOVA etc, the Throne of Skulls events at Warhammer World are quite good fun. I don't think they're running any at the moment due to the refurb there, but if you could save up a few quid each week you should be able to go to one when they start up again as Nottingham is virtually next door to you.

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30 2014, 16:33

Count Adhemar wrote:
The_Burning_Eye wrote:
(I'd like to do a tourney but cost is prohibitive for me)

Whilst not the most competitive of events, certainly nothing like NOVA etc, the Throne of Skulls events at Warhammer World are quite good fun. I don't think they're running any at the moment due to the refurb there, but if you could save up a few quid each week you should be able to go to one when they start up again as Nottingham is virtually next door to you.

It certainly is, I was there at the weekend playing a game on the limited tables they've still got (if anyone is up that way and fancies a game by the way - drop me a PM and I'll see what the diary keeper says, haha!). Quite a few from my club attend some or all of them, and I do hope to go soon (need to actually finish painting an army!)

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
dmateja
Slave

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06 2014, 19:46

I am enjoying making new lists with the new codex. I don't get to play that often so most of my time is spent in list-building mode. I think there is plenty of variety for different types of lists. I have some mono DE and some DE/CE lists. I really like the new WWP as I am terrible with scatter dice. Also I really like that the Court is playable now. Previously it seemed like such a good idea in theory and terrible in execution.

As far as comparisons with the old dex I really don't see the point. The new codex is what we have. I don't see the value in going through and comparing everything to what it used to be reveling in what got a boost and bemoaning what got worse. I tend to just put the old dex on the shelf and forget about it while looking at the current dex as a completely new and seperate entity.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 06 2014, 22:43

So, I've got my first game in, and the new dex held up pretty well. I put together a 1000pts list for a pick-up game at my local GW. I spent minimum points on an Archon and 2 squads of Warriors so that I could max out on FA choices: 3x6 Reavers, a Razorwing and a spare venom.

On the night I happened to end up playing Space Wolves. We played Maelstrom:Cleanse and Control. He kept half of his force in reserves, which let me take him apart piecemeal, and I tabled him on Turn 4. Warriors, Archon and transports played pretty much as they always have - very mobile, and spewing out lots of darklight and poison shots. The Reavers, however, performed really well. I do think that the changes to bladevanes has made them a bit more dull, but it has certainly made them easier to use. Armed with heat lance, blaster and cluster caltrops, they were my main offensive threat, zooming round the table claiming objectives, threatening infantry and vehicles and wiping stuff out in assault. I think they will probably become a regular feature of my DE lists.

I rolled up an extra attack for my Reavers on the new combat drug table - definitely a big improvement on the last dex, where a roll of '1' was totally useless for the bikes. I didn't see much effect from the PfP though, as I had taken out most of his stuff by the end of turn 3, just when the power really started to kick in. And I managed to forget about it somewhat, so I forgot to roll and FnP saves during the game :Smile. Something to remember for next time.

Overall, I enjoyed the freedom to take loads of really fast and dangerous units. My army played like Dark Eldar should (IMHO) - agressive, and very, very fast. Despite my first impressions, the new codex hasn't entirely killed the character of the army.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
StokieRich
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07 2014, 13:57

Only played one game with it myself and I have never played Dark Eldar before, but I really enjoyed it as well and also did very well, tabling Blood Angels on T3.

MVP for me were the flyers, one came on and exploded a Land Raider T2 while the other two destroyed a 5 man unit of Sanguinary Guard one turn followed by a 10 man assault marine unit the next.

Won't go into too much detail but the battle report (no pictures I'm afraid) is on the Realspace Raids section

Agree on the new combat drugs but sadly I got +1LD which was... not much use

El_Jairo
Kabalite Warrior
El_Jairo

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09 2014, 13:00

StokieRich wrote:
Agree on the new combat drugs but sadly I got +1LD which was... not much use
Than you played so well in the game that you didn't need the Ld boost.
I'm really happy that Ld can be boosted for better pinning tests and sticking in CC.
I will be testing the dex next Tuesday. I love the fact that I am now able to take a lot of combo's. I even feel that grotesquerie is too powerful at 1k points.
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 09 2014, 14:07

Yet to lose with the new book. Beat (in order) Necrons, Eldar/DE, GK, straight up DE, and SW. Had a game against Militarum Tempestus with an IK that I'm not counting because we only got through two turns before he had to leave (and had to blitz to get even that far into the game). I'm really enjoying it; there's a couple of duff units, sure, but the only things I would say are actively sub-par are Hellions and Wyches, and I'm not even sure about the wyches as I've not had a chance to test them yet. I'm disappointed with the removal of a lot of options and some of our more unique and fluffy rules, but I think the book itself is very in-line with 6th/7th edition books and is enjoyable to play with.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 10:15

I'm having a similar experience. My only loss so far was in a 500 point match against a Horus Heresy list on a 4x4' board. And, honestly, that one came down to him making a ludicrous number of 3+ saves against my splinter fire and my managing to not roll >1 on Haywire rolls Sad

I've faced a couple HH lists, CSM, SoB, IG, SM and Eldar off the top of my head.

Definitely happy with the new book, despite my small handful of gripes with it (mainly concerning customisation and how much more of it the equivalent Eldar choices have -_-).

Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 10 2014, 11:38

I've also had good experiences - lost twice (Adeptus Mechanicus and AM), though the first was with a vey experimental list and the second I'm putting down to an appalling turn of shooting in the mid game, failing to do any damage despite having lots of good shooting options.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I actually LIKE the new Codex!   I actually LIKE the new Codex! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I actually LIKE the new Codex!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2