THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?

Go down 
+8
Devilogical
egorey
Skulnbonz
Cerve
Rokuro
Grimcrimm
Slaven
Bibitybopitybacon
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? Empty
PostSubject: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21 2015, 21:14

I was discussing beastpack armies with an acquaintance at the gaming store and he used to field a full beastpack army in 5th and 6th edition, but says that (for competitive play) his army doesn't work with the 7th edition codex.

I was wondering why precisely that is (he was speaking in very general terms) and what your thoughts are on beastpacks with the 7th edition Dark Eldar codex?
Back to top Go down
Bibitybopitybacon
Wych
Bibitybopitybacon

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21 2015, 21:30

Baron and smaller max unit size are the main issues. Nerfing of the razor wing flock didn't help nor did the change from a 4++ to a 5++ though T4 helps a bit.
Back to top Go down
Slaven
Slave
Slaven

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21 2015, 21:33

I think the big things were the Khymeras dropping to a 5++ save and Razorwing Flocks losing an attack, wounds, becoming Swarms, and having tanked WS. It completely changes their capability as a Death Star of any sort, before even considering the loss of fast moving ICs (Baron) to move with them. The problem they have now is that they are pretty generic and fight over the best slot in the codex. Spend more points and grab big units of Reavers that'll pull a lot more work if you're looking for a fast assaulting unit. x4 Cluster Caltrops at I10 is like magic.
Back to top Go down
http://battletavern.blogspot.com/
Grimcrimm
Kabalite Warrior
Grimcrimm

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 00:53

4D6 Funtime is delicious getting them all in with no overwatch wounds is hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 05:29

Thanks guys I'm preparing to make a video on my channel about this, so your input is much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 19:37

I haven't played Dark Eldar before 7th, but I use a squad of 5 Beastmasters as an all-terrain mobile shooty unit. I like to play Cities of Death, and beasts are pretty useful in those games, especially ones that can shoot.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 13:39

The greatest nerf to me are both 4++ and the limit 1-12 models.
And, of course, the lack of Baron (hit and run).

Now, they are changed, even their role Smile
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 15:56

would still be a viable unit in larger quantity (with an allied baharoth) but at 12 models- there is just not enough bodies to soak up a concentrated round of firing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasybattles.com
egorey
The Duck of Death
egorey

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 17:38

I don't think we are looking now at beastpacks persay. A beastmaster is 3 pts cheaper than a hellion - he has a splinter rifle shots. He can take an agoniser. So 3-5 of these guys that move 12" and ignore terrain are not terrible. They certainly are better than hellions.

A squad of five clawed fiends will work as well but you need eldar allies to buff them up with invisibility, fortune, etc.

If course we have such a crowded fast attack slot that taking beasts always means we are comprising by not taking scourges, reavers, razorwings. Still, a lot is dependent on your list - are you using detachemnts, are you adding eldar allies, are you okay with no ObSec and real space.
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite
Devilogical

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25 2015, 09:23

I`ve tryed this one:
2 clawed fiends
2 razorwings
2 khymeras

Pretty cool. They strong enouth to survive some shooting, and do average dmg and close combat.
But, yeah... they Ld is only 5, soooo, when they lose combat - its pretty obvious a retreat
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25 2015, 15:09

Devilogical wrote:
I`ve tryed this one:
2 clawed fiends
2 razorwings
2 khymeras

Pretty cool. They strong enouth to survive some shooting, and do average dmg and close combat.
But, yeah... they Ld is only 5, soooo, when they lose combat - its pretty obvious a retreat

I'd leadership is your problem then swap one razorwing against a beastmaster. The majority toughness is still 5 at the cost of some CC potential. That's how I want to run my"big" unit.
Back to top Go down
@miral
Kabalite Warrior
@miral

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 13:30

Maybe the Clowns bring some usefull Jetbike-IC for this unit to rock again?
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 14:10

I need to see someone run 12 beastmasters with all agonizers. I just do.

Anyway, some IC seems like a good idea for them. If not a farseer or an autarch (banshee-mask could help the beasts a lot), then maybe

Quote :
Maybe the Clowns bring some usefull Jetbike-IC for this unit to rock again?
we can hope for this.

I would probably most rather run a mix of everything (because I kind of like all of them) with an emphasis on khymerae or then just khymerae, in addition to one or two beastmasters (beastmaster could be optional though if you have an independent character).
1 invul worse is annoying but I think T4 really makes up for that easily since majority toughness is going to affect everything in a unit, and it is a lot cheaper to bump it up from the pitiful T3 that didn't even have FnP to something better without getting a lot of clawed fiends.

I can't speak from experience though, I have never ran them (this or previous edition)
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite
Devilogical

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 14:49

Crazy_Irish wrote:

I'd leadership is your problem then swap one razorwing against a beastmaster. The majority toughness is still 5 at the cost of some CC potential. That's how I want to run my"big" unit.

i think about that too, but in exchange for Ld u will lose aditional wounds and attacks.
So it`s kinda double edged sword

I will try this tactic more for sure
Back to top Go down
Rathstar
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 31 2015, 02:07

Attacks and wounds mean nothing if the squad fails a morale test and runs away early. I think a beastmaster or IC is manditory.

Also flocks have lost a lot and got a price increase (plus they are still a liability in combat against str6+), I'd recommend 1 beastmaster, 3 krymerae, 3 clawed fiends, 13 wounds at majority t5.

Rathstar
Back to top Go down
http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.co.uk/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?   Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beastpack 5th ed. Codex vs 7th ed. Codex?
Page 1 of 1