THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
aurynn
Incubi

Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt Empty
PostSubject: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 20:17

'Ello everyone,

after some deliberation, trial and error, many torn hair and wife tired of questions if this or that looks better, I decided to start my Plog on Dark Eldar.

EDIT: Images fixed

I wanted a really dark theme that would fit night attackers. Staying true to the cold side of the colour spectrum and complementary to the snow bases I will be doing later. However I have run into an obstacle and would like to hear your opinions.

I have primed first two batches of Kabalite Warriors and started adding the colour to the basic black. The idea is to have the whole mini. But I hit the wall with metal accessories.

For the photos below, please keep in mind that it is only a black primer and one layer of colour on every tryout. No shading, no highlighting. Just to see how the colours work together. The idea is that the highlights on the black should be very subtle and bluish, never reaching pure white.

Here is something I tried and immediately repainted back to black (following ACDC advice ;-)) as obviously trying to put a warm colour into a cold theme is a very wrong idea. The red colour is Valejjo Gory Red and if I used more layers, the more wrong it would look.
Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _2

These other images are the accessories I mentioned. One painted silver with blue inlay and one gold with red inlay. Again - red and gold are warm colours and do not work with the scheme. While silver... I see a chance there, although I will probably tone it down a bit and making the blue more pronounced. The gold basecoat is GW Balthasar Gold and the silver is GW Boltgun Metal (now Leadbelcher I think).
Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _4Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _1

CC is welcome. :-)

Last edited by aurynn on Tue May 26 2015, 21:25; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caspaar
Kabalite Warrior
Caspaar

PostSubject: Re: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 20:22

Have you considered purple? As far as I know it is the only colour which is cold and warm, depending on neighbouring colours. Maybe aplly a purple wash use purple inlays.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 28 2014, 20:27

Actually I have and I am planning to use it on Wyches' leather parts. On the other hand, using it on the accessories of Kabalites might just do the trick... will toy with that idea, thanks. :-)
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11 2014, 20:53

So I moved up a bit with the painting and decided to slowly start working on Archon. Here is a picture of the first stage - cloak - highlighted. I would like to know what do you think of the blending. Smooth enough? I tried glazing technique. I think it came up OK.

Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _5
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11 2014, 21:11

Oh and I decided to go with the following scheme:
Primary colour - Black (highlighted both grey and purple - depending on the location and model)
Secondary colours - Dark Green and Icy Blue
Metal parts - Silver

Here is a non-highlighted sample:
Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _10
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitimeTue May 26 2015, 21:24

Hey. It has been a long time. My real life kinda caught up with me. It seemed like whole world decided to crap upon my head so understandably there was no update. However, I am back with vengeance and decided to start my first sculpting project - Mandrakes.

I hate resin. So much... :-) Therefore I decided to try to sculpt my own. I started with using a wych slapped together from old, stripped parts. I cut off all the details, armour, spikes and all that stuff. Then started adding greenstuff. I want them to look like rising from the shadowy mist with baleflame on the arms.

This is a WIP and my very first serious sculpting attempt, so be tolerant. :-) I am trying the shadow strands not to look like a robe. Its not coming as well as I wish to, but that might be a greenstuff problem. I am picking up a Milliput in a few days so I expect the next model will be better. Quality of the photos not the best too, srry.

Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _13

Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt _14
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt   Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aurynn's PLOG - Mandrakes Sculpt Attempt
Page 1 of 1