THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction

Go down 
+2
Unorthodoxy
Dragontree
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06 2015, 20:11

Thanks man, much appreciated.

This is really the best kit I've ever worked with, one miscast line and one thin bit of resin but perfect in every other way.

I am however considering a dreamforge mortis leviathan to convert as an Acheron, it seems to be a perfect height match and has even more poseability than this beast.

I've muddled along a bit more tonight, whats your opinion on the oxidising weathering?

I'm attempting to create rust patches on the red and purple with brown and orange but feel I might need to buy a rust effect to really get it to work.

Seems to have worked ok on the exposed metal though.

Anyway, final update pics before I finish the Knight and move on to the base.

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0293

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0294

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 25 2015, 14:16

So here is the first full squad of my blood angel army and a completed knight apart from a bit of re-work on the base

Knight and Terminators with Vow Sergeant
Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0311

Sergeant alone
Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0315

And more of knight
Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0312

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0314

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0313

I'm going to take a break from the angels and try and smash out a large part of my black templars army. Everything is undercoated now so I'm hoping to instigate a a batch painting process and really nail it in march.

Any thoughts and comments and constructive criticism for future work is fully appreciated Smile

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08 2015, 19:39

Switching to my Black Templars to keep things fresh I have been very productive the past week!

I initially had set aside a squad of 8 crusaders to be my monthly vow for march but in a flurry of effort I have managed to get them all done and even the bases are on their way to being finished now! Though I am just being lazy and using the snow effect GW paint as they recommend it to be used...

So I've tentatively set myself the task of painting the other 18 crusaders in my current Black Templar collection before the month is out. This would represent the bulk of my force and mean that only:

5 vanguard vets
A Land Raider Crusader
The Emperor's Champion
And Grimaldus

Would be the models left to paint before all my current BT stuff is done. This would be a huge leap forward and allow me to concentrate on my Blood Angels and finishing of my Militarum Tempestus squads.

So overall aim is to get the BT done before May. We will see how this goes...

Anyway pictures!!!!

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0326

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0323

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0324

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0327

Any comments or constructive criticisms are always welcome Smile

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08 2015, 21:21

Nice, I like them! If I had to suggest something, I'd say a bit of light highlighting and shading - a little shading round the knee pads would really bring the White out, and perhaps some highlighting on the metallics, they look a little flat in the pics (could just be the pics though)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08 2015, 22:56

Thanks TBE!

How would you recommend enhancing the white? I really struggle with painting white, just doesn't sit well with me. Which was part of the reason I went for red head and shoulders with these guys.

The gold is washed out by the pictures, its actually ghenna gold washed with agrax and highlighted with sycorax bronze. I have considered adding a more gold highlight to it but will umm and ahh for a while.

The leadbelcher does need a quick touch of additonal silver to it, but I'm all out sadly, my imperial knight took up almost an entire pot and i had to scrape the bottom to paint these guys!

Anyway glad you like and thanks for the comment!

After reading your excellent blog btw it has made me consider my own, just for keeping track of myself when not on here really, just thought I'd mention your inspiration Razz

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08 2015, 23:25

Dragontree wrote:
Thanks TBE!

How would you recommend enhancing the white? I really struggle with painting white, just doesn't sit well with me. Which was part of the reason I went for red head and shoulders with these guys.

I generally work on the basis that white is rarely ever actually white, so I generally tend to go with leaving the actual white to the highlights. So I'd either go with a pale grey or pallid wych flesh

Dragontree wrote:
After reading your excellent blog btw it has made me consider my own, just for keeping track of myself when not on here really, just thought I'd mention your inspiration Razz

Cool - let me know when you're set up and I'll add it to my reading list, get you linked onto my blogroll too.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09 2015, 00:07

Blogging is fun. Mainly it makes it easier to answer someone more fully on a topic you might have had an opinion on already as well. That's what prompted mine when i started it.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2015, 19:25

The second squad of 8 that I finished this evening:

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 WP_20150309_004

And a group shot of my Templar army together, the final part of my vow is the squad of 10 sat in front of the land raider:

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 WP_20150309_005

I also got round to 'properly' basing my terminators in the foreground left of that picture.

And my inquisitor is just hanging around with them cos you know, flame the heretic and all that jazz.

Sadly my phone broke yesterday so im using a spare phone and therefore spare camera so wasn't worth taking lots of pictures. I hope you can tell from these pictures that the white is less white than on the first batch.

The first squad have had there white redone as well and both squads have highlights on the silver.

Hopefully I'll be able to show this when I have better light and camera facilities, not that they are the best paintjobs to be showing off, I'm more keen to get them to a minimum tabletop quality so I can play them then giving them my best (which is still average Razz).

Anyway, on to the squad of 10 and hopefully the emperors champion this month as well!!

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29 2015, 22:25

Finished the final 10 (apart from a couple of bases that still need a wash and drybrush but I'm going away for the week with my partner so this as doen as they'll get in march!)

Oh I also have to add black squiggly script lines to all 26 models on there parchment etc and possibly some white squiggly lines to their armour

Very pleased to have busted out 26 figures in a month, fairly low quality but I'm not aiming for my best with these guys I just want them painted to play with!

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 WP_20150329_001

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 WP_20150329_002

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 WP_20150329_003

This model was a happy accident of pulling apart a devestator squad sergeant that had come in a bulk buy and templar-ing him up, love how the pose came out!

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 WP_20150329_004

@The_Burning_Eye I tried to soften the tones of the metals and get better highlights - as well as make the whites less stark based on your suggestions, thoughts?

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 29 2015, 23:16

I like them, the metallics in particular look really good.

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 30 2015, 09:29

26 figures! Dude well done, that is a pretty big achievement Smile. They are looking really good.

Just a thought on the white. I always start from a ulthan grey basecoat and then mix up until the very last highlight is white (only 3 stages). This gives the illusion that the bit you have painted is actually white, but with the bonus of the shading. Also you could do a very thinned down black wash to give the white a little depth, maybe a 20/80 mix should be just right as it wont make it too dark but shade the recesses enough to give more definition.

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05 2015, 17:58

Just finished my Emperor's Champion.

Painting a single figure is so much quicker than batch painting!! I love it.

The armour is red because my Black Templar Army is called the Crimson Crusade and in my fluff they are treading that fine path of zealously spilling blood for the emperor and zealously spillng blood for bloods sake (AKA hello Khorne). So I have intentionally enhanced the red flavour of my Templars.

Pretty happy with how he turned out, just wish I had the patience to put this much effort into the rest of the army....

@spellcheck2001 I will try a thinned down nuln oil on the white an see if that helps, my original plan had been to paint the white like on my Emperors champion which is just thin layers over grey till it has the desired tone... But I couldn't stomach the time it would take on the rank and file... I'm about to start a mechanicum army and I am specifically tailoring it to have a low model count so I can spend a lot of time converting and painting each model, hopefully the extra effort shows through on this guy... Need to find an image editor online to balance the white in the pics though...

Thanks for the advice Smile also thanks for the blog inspiration, I enjoy reading yours muchly!

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0012

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0013

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0014

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0015

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05 2015, 18:02

He looks awesome mate, I especially like the work you've put in on the sword!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07 2015, 21:12

Thanks TBE!

I'm very pleased how he turned out, a shame he's not particularly stellar on the battlefield but this is a relatively fluffy army anyway so not the end of the world!

Work is coming along on the land raider a lot quicker than I anticipated, despite having bought bloodborne and died a billion times already...

Hoping to have that done by weeks end!

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09 2015, 23:05

In a bout of mediocre painting productivity I have finished the land raider that I thought I would merely get started this month.

Sadly I still have a squad of vanguard veterans to paint (converted from the old sword brethren models) otherwise I would be taking these guys to a tournament on the 25/26th of this month.

It need snow weathering on the tracks and sides but I have run out of it and have no hobby budget for this month as I am brassic. So that shan't happen for a while, so consider it finished for now.

But pictures nonetheless:

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0026

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0027

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0028

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0029

Comments always welcome, this week is looking like my first blog post may be a big one!

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10 2015, 00:26

Shiny! (As in the firefly reference, not glossy-shiny!)

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11 2015, 18:25

Thanks TBE!
Sword brother, who will now be a sargeant for the 10 man squad.

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0031

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0032

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0033

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0034

Very pleased with how he turned out, cloak in particular.

I have 5 vanguard vets converted from sword brethren models and grimaldus left to paint then all my current black templars are done!

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych
Dragontree

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27 2015, 15:18

Well its been a couple of months since I updated this thread... But lots of progress has been made, prepare for a tonne of pictures! Since last time I have painted and re-painted all these guys:

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0228_1

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0229_1

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0230_1

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0231

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0233

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0234

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0176

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0177

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0178

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0179

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0181

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0148

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0150

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0151

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0152

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0153

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0189

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0209

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0210

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0211

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0212

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0213

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0214

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0215

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0216

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0217

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0218

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0219

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 IMAG0220

PHEW!

After all that I'm actually not nearly as burnt out of painting as I thought I would be. I've bought some new brushed which are absolutely brilliant and I just feel like I've got to grips with a few techniques more which have really enabled me to do a better job. I'm very very pleased with Astorath the Grim.

In less fun news I have been hit with a tax bill, that while not that large I still need to make money up for. And to do this I have decided to sell my militarum tempestus army and a grey knights army that I was planning on renovating. I'll be putting them up in the Barter Port and they will be relative bargains so please do have a look if you are interested before they go to the whim of ebay.

And if you want to follow me outside of TDC then please look at my blog Here

Well done if you made it through all the pics!

The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01 2015, 03:19

Very nice models my man. And there's a place outside TDC? Impossible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction   Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Imperial Triumverate - a massive distraction
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2