THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Bases - how do you base your dark kin?

Go down 
+15
Siticus the Ancient
red_head
BlckRven
Evil Space Elves
rider
Dez
Kesharq
MaxKool
shadow hunter
GAR
Hydra
Sky Serpent
Baron Tordeck
Raucir Lustingclaw
Massaen
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Bases - how do you base your dark kin? Empty
PostSubject: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 12:10

With a bunch or resin and plastic slowly being delivered to my door in suitably spiky boxes i have started to mull over how I will base my Kabal...

I am presently thinking that I will use the raider cross hatch design on the infantry bases to show them mounted... I am presently scuplting it ready for casting...

What about the reavers and hellions though (not to mention the vehicles!)

So - how do you base your models?
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 14:50

Mine have "Ice World" bases as featured on the GW website, but with a snow mixture piled on in places as well. It's easy to do and makes a great contrast with the dark colour schemes popular with Dark Eldar.

Raucir
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 15:56

IMO flying stands should not actually be based.

And if you insist on doing so at the very least the peg needs to stay clear.
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03 2011, 23:44

Baron Tordeck wrote:
IMO flying stands should not actually be based.

And if you insist on doing so at the very least the peg needs to stay clear.

That's what I do. I spotted a few based... er... bases... for Raiders and thought they looked good, so I've based mine and left the pegs clear. It ties the army together nicely.

Raucir
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06 2011, 00:54

I use a mixture of grains of sand and slate on the bases, using the GW basing kits to add some character. I also glue in brush bristles to create reeds and have some army painter tufts to use when finished.

I like my flying bases based and the stem clear. Horses for courses though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06 2011, 11:12

I am a fan of bases. That's because the base tells the story.

While a single (even the most beautifull made) model might have a story, they look lost without bases. The base sets the model into the surrounding, which is part of the story.

I am doing circles here, am i?

While i keep my small bases simple (for effort vs time reasons) i am trying to give the larger bases the context i wan't my army to be in.

As with my nids, i want them to have an urban setting, since nothing is more spookier than Dark Eldar creeping through your front yard.

So the best adise would be, find a story to set your DE into. The way of making bases variies from using real earth to sanding paper... have a look at galleries like CMON or the ones displayed here. Some crazy basing ideas can be found on http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ too.
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08 2011, 15:07

I like the more elaborate bases, such as though by Scribor. However, the lesson I have learned the hard way is the bases don't always work with the models.

So now I mostly make my bases custom to each model so it doesn't look weird.

My DE will be/are desert themed so the bases will be more of a wasteland look.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
shadow hunter
Kabalite Warrior
shadow hunter

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 11:20

Personally I dont like over the top fancy bases. Takes away the focus from the actual mini, makes it more difficult for gaming and looks too busy.

I like plain simple bases. Gravel, some rocks, and static grass or similar. Maybe the odd bit of debris (skull, gun, casings etc)

Like this (not mine - just did a search to find an example)
http://bloodofkittens.com/prodigalsonhobbyblog/2011/03/25/dark-eldar-warriors/
Back to top Go down
MaxKool
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 19:46

I agree, on anything but centerpieces or realy large bases I stick to the theme of my home gameboard. Which is kinda a ruined agriworld kinda theme. Sand, gravel , clumps of field grass and mabye a skull or shell.

To much on a small base makes our already busy models just look to busy....
Back to top Go down
Kesharq
Kabalite Warrior
Kesharq

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 14:24

With troops, I glue sand onto the base after basecoating it, apply heavily watered down Bestial Brown, then drybrush with Snakebite. It gives the base an aggricultural or desertlike look (depends on the amount of snakebite)

Character get some Skulls etc. - same as Troops, but Skulls/Bones get additional drybrushed with Bleached Bone

Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 14:47

I personally think that cohesive bases for an army helps it look awesome. I'm using Cities of Death kits, cork, gravel and found stuff to make mine. I've actually finished the bases for my Hellions. I did decide to leave the peg, but I'm thinking of making a few without. The Hellions will be posed dynamically, so that it looks like they are flying through the remains of a city narrowly missing pieces of destruction.

Bases - how do you base your dark kin? F42b79c8

Back to top Go down
rider
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 15:16

mine are following a similar idea to Dez above.

Project log here

the idea is for them to be raiding over a recently bombarded urban zone. the bigger bases and the flying stands are being fancy-fied in order to try and detract from the plastic stick.

the infantry will be simpler with the same basic scorched look with the odd bit of rubble, or lots of rubble with bits of scorchedness.

i've not had time to do anything at all really since the last post in the plog, but there has been a little progress on 1 hellion and 1 wych as well as the raider base being nearly finished.
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 15:23

Great minds think alike! It looks like the wife and kids kept you plenty busy, as there was no update. I understand 100%, though I have one less child Wink

How do you feel about the painting of your bases? I think it looks really nice. i'm leaving mine as is, because while i like how they add to the dynamics I don't necessarily want the focus to be taken off the mini. Hence my monochrome (with splashes of browns) approach to the painting.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 15:39

Dez wrote:
I personally think that cohesive bases for an army helps it look awesome. I'm using Cities of Death kits, cork, gravel and found stuff to make mine. I've actually finished the bases for my Hellions. I did decide to leave the peg, but I'm thinking of making a few without. The Hellions will be posed dynamically, so that it looks like they are flying through the remains of a city narrowly missing pieces of destruction.

I use the same thing more or less. I bought a Manufactorium box years ago and having been using cut up sprues/extra tank plates/railroad scenics ballast/whatever for the last 4-5 armies that I've painted. Really gives it that urban destruction/wasteland look on the cheap.

https://thedarkcity.forummotion.com/t1538-an-evil-project-log
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FiPzFM1F8-M/TnFwbn0IacI/AAAAAAAAABI/oLkuMcbXHjY/s1024/2011-09-03_14-51-58_677.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kUtpoxNaDo0/TqOcMkc9xxI/AAAAAAAAADE/IR6qlWCUFBY/s1024/2011-10-22_21-45-12_284.jpg

Last edited by Evil Space Elves on Wed Oct 26 2011, 15:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rider
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 15:41

i'm a painter more than a gamer at the moment Sad

my black templars were on pretty sparse bases with a scorched brown sand, bleach bone dry bruch, patch of static grass finish. nothing else.

the DE are going to be a labour of love rather than a gaming army though.
so i've spend a fair amount of time on the bases, between making them up and painting them. i've also used them as a test bed for trying out heavy washes and a few other things i hadn't tried before.

Back to top Go down
BlckRven
Kabalite Warrior
BlckRven

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 18:32

I had no idea on how to base the bases, but at least now I've got some ideas.
I think light coloured bases are better for my dark coloured models (desert look, moonisch colours etc.)

thnx
Back to top Go down
red_head
Sybarite
red_head

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31 2011, 19:36

Just to throw some insiration into the pit- this is how I do the bases for my Dark Eldar:

Bases - how do you base your dark kin? Scaled.php?server=716&filename=imag0294m

It's basically plasticard, sand and static grass, on some bases I added some cork as well.

I also chose not to let the bases become too dark and instead did the oppposite- they're actually rather light coloured.
I also base flying units in about the same manner- to make them look like one army, I think bases are an important aspect of that.

Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01 2011, 13:07

I haven't done too many bases, but for the most parts, I try to ask around for various bits from other players, say, spare Sentinel armor plates, Chimera tracks etc, and just file and cut them so that they look like they are sticking out of the ground, wrecked and such. I try to have my bases reflect as much of my own battles against other players as possible.
Back to top Go down
Candice Heart-Reaper
Hellion
Candice Heart-Reaper

PostSubject: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2011, 18:37

I use fine modeling grit and sand, a bit of small rocks and some dead grass flock here and there.
I basecoat the hole thing with watered down Snakebite Leather, drybrush with dehneb stone, and give it a wash of watered down Red Gore mixed with Baal Red. The rocks are basecoated with a 50/50 mix of Hawk Turquoise and Chaos Black, drybrushed with Codex Grey, then washed with Badab Black.
It gives a pretty good alien type terrain and contrasts well with the dark armour of the army. Surprised

I'll be adding pics as soon as I can. tongue
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 20:46

My bases differ, but in general, they're sandy and bloody or city/ruins.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 04:29

Candice Heart-Reaper wrote:

I use fine modeling grit and sand, a bit of small rocks and some dead grass flock here and there.
I basecoat the hole thing with watered down Snakebite Leather, drybrush with dehneb stone, and give it a wash of watered down Red Gore mixed with Baal Red. The rocks are basecoated with a 50/50 mix of Hawk Turquoise and Chaos Black, drybrushed with Codex Grey, then washed with Badab Black.
It gives a pretty good alien type terrain and contrasts well with the dark armour of the army. Surprised

I'll be adding pics as soon as I can. tongue

This sounds interesting. Post a pic when you can.
Back to top Go down
Candice Heart-Reaper
Hellion
Candice Heart-Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14 2011, 18:32

Well, I finally managed to get across a decent camera (borrowed from the girlfriend of a friend, of a friend.. hum hum..) Anyway I got a shot of the bases (without grass flock);

Bases - how do you base your dark kin? 385277_2390732020205_1608021757_2323367_1583347056_n
Back to top Go down
Rip
Hellion
Rip

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 17 2011, 14:32

GW.com's wasteland scheme. Base of Charadon Granite, Highlight 1 of Codex Grey, Highlight 2 of Bleached Bone and finally the odd tuft of Dead Grass.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 24 2011, 14:13

Wraithbone Microart bases , just painted grey like on Warrior Box.Very Commoragh looking.
Bases - how do you base your dark kin? Mas_hob_bbs_wrs_201_000_01_medium
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bases - how do you base your dark kin?   Bases - how do you base your dark kin? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bases - how do you base your dark kin?
Page 1 of 1