THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Flayed Skull

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

Kabal of the Flayed Skull Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 04:18

Hello everyone,

I am currently returning to this hobby after 14 years!  I started in 1998 when the Dark Eldar were a brand new army.  I had tons of the old Dark Eldar models (Vect, reavers, urien ect) but after 2 moves and college, most of them were lost.  Only a few brave models remain; 5 plastic Warriors, one of the old metal Sybarites,  an old metal female haemonculus with the stinger pistol and the old metal archon with the huge head and the claw weapon.  In November 2014 I started watching some 40k battle reports on youtube.  Mostly Miniwargaming and SkaredCast.  I really liked Miniwargaming because they really capture the banter and social aspect of the game.  I enjoyed how they just had fun playing the game with each other no matter what was happening in the game.  SkaredCast was a little different.  He gives you a seasoned player's perspective on the Dark Eldar specifically and really explains the different tactics he used to win.  Next I went to my FLGS Battlegrounds Gaming in Norwalk, CT.  I had never been there before.  I just walked in and started talking to people who were playing 40k there and had a blast learning tons of new rules, seeing great models and great tables.  I purchased a few boxes of models and all new paints (the new paints are amazing).  I would now like to share with you all my perspective on a classic Kabal, the Kabal of the Flayed Skull.  Back in 1998, I painted my Dark Eldar a red/black/silver color.  This fit in with the current Kabal of the Flayed skull in the new book but without all the white and blue.

These are the first models I've painted in 14 years.  I know they are not perfect and there are pretty much no conversions on them but I'm trying to take it slow and relearn the basics so any comments or criticism are welcome.

First Squad of Kabalite Warriors with Raider

Kabal of the Flayed Skull BCOSLFL

Kabal of the Flayed Skull K0zfqtR

Kabal of the Flayed Skull FNJ9kLi

Kabal of the Flayed Skull 2NeFV9n

Kabal of the Flayed Skull 4BnicT5

Kabal of the Flayed Skull Z97W4Eh

Kabal of the Flayed Skull Fx2Hw7I

Kabal of the Flayed Skull SL6QAeK

Currently Working on the second squad of Kabalite Warriors

Kabal of the Flayed Skull PmJWgWT

Kabal of the Flayed Skull WZYan1W

Kabal of the Flayed Skull YI7NXn3

Kabal of the Flayed Skull QKh4vF9

Kabal of the Flayed Skull Isabl0u

Kabal of the Flayed Skull CrYhR7h

Kabal of the Flayed Skull Ndl7oFx

This is a model I painted for a 1 Hour painting challenge on reddit where I tied for first place with some crap space marine that wasn't even close to being finished.  It's an extra hanging guy that comes with the Ravager kit.  I probably won't use him I just wanted to try out the painting challenge.

Kabal of the Flayed Skull FIcMs1c

Kabal of the Flayed Skull LMxnrFg

Ok so I got some pictures of my old models

WARNING! TERRIBLY PAINTED MINIATURES IN SPOILER
Spoiler:

That's all I got so far!  I'll update this post when I get new pictures.  Thanks for checking them out.  I look forward to contributing to this forum a lot in the future once I start playing some games with my own models again.

Last edited by Wolfsark on Tue Feb 24 2015, 23:35; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 04:46

Looks nice!
How come your Raider "hanger" has metallic armour while the others don't?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 05:04

Flayed Skull? I approve!

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t8279-old-archon-discusses-kabal-of-flayed-skull
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 05:29

Thor665 wrote:
Flayed Skull? I approve!

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t8279-old-archon-discusses-kabal-of-flayed-skull

Thanks for the reply Thor, I really enjoy your podcast.

Interesting post. The Flayed Skull definitely wasnt a thing when I first started playing years ago but I painted them red so I figured I would just go with it once I read the new codex and the painting guide.

Hope you enjoyed, check back in the future for updates.
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 05:32

nexs wrote:
Looks nice!
How come your Raider "hanger" has metallic armour while the others don't?

I just painted him like that because the challenge was to only paint for one hour. I also bought this paint called "Bloodletter Glaze" and I was looking for ways to use it. It only seems to really stand out when I paint it on metallic colors. Just experimenting. Like I said, I probably won't use that model. Apparently the Ravager kit comes with the same two sprues as the regular raider with one extra sprue for the Ravager only. So it includes a few extra hanging guys that wont really fit on the Ravager with the extra gun sponsons on the side.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 05:40

That's fair!
I'll check back when you've got more skulls flayed Wink
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 18:52

Bumped for new pictures. Check spoiler for nostalgia.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 21:58

I'm not a fan of the old models :/
They just look really disproportionate and clunky looking. That's just me, but i'd never use them, also, they'd not fit in with the rest of the army's look.

I'm a little bit OCD about those things haha
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 22:37

nexs wrote:
They just look really disproportionate and clunky looking. That's just me, but i'd never use them, also, they'd not fit in with the rest of the army's look.

Yeah the old models have a "face only a mother could love" quality about them. Anybody who didn't own the old models back when they came out will look at them now with disgust. For me, they remind me of the games I played, places I went with them and the people I played with. I have a new plastic haemonculus now so maybe I will use the old one just until I get around to painting the new one. I still have many boxes of figures to paint.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 22:44

I'm big on the artistic side of things (I need to get something finished for my plog), and prefer the pretty ones, haha.
But I think i'm going to sculpt an archon from scratch, but in the design of the newer models rather than the older ones.
Back to top Go down
koshi482
Kabalite Warrior
koshi482

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 30 2015, 01:33

Dam these look nice. Would love to see them on the table. Smile
Way better than anything I could do. Skari and miniwargaming are both great people. You should also check out front line gaining. They are an in between miniwargaming and skari. With banter and still good solid tactics. Other than that welcome back into the fold of the true kin
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion
Wolfsark

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24 2015, 23:48

Bumped for new pictures of second squad. C&C on the faces if you please.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 24 2015, 11:21

Wolfsark wrote:
nexs wrote:

Yeah the old models have a "face only a mother could love" quality about them.  Anybody who didn't own the old models back when they came out will look at them now with disgust.  For me, they remind me of the games I played, places I went with them and the people I played with.  I have a new plastic haemonculus now so maybe I will use the old one just until I get around to painting the new one.  I still have many boxes of figures to paint.

I like the old models - it's amazing what a fresh, neat paint job will do for them. I use a very similar scheme to you, and try to mix old and new models as much as possible. I don't find that they look too out of place among my new minis, and no Monkeigh will dare look at them with disgust when an army of classic Dark Eldar sculpts has just tabled him Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Flayed Skull   Kabal of the Flayed Skull I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Flayed Skull
Page 1 of 1