THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

new to dark eldar. many questions.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheNamelessArchon
Slave
TheNamelessArchon

new to dark eldar. many questions. Empty
PostSubject: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26 2015, 18:27

My list:
-Archon/blaster,webway portal,the animus vitae.
-urien rakarth.
-2 units,10 kabalite/splinter cannon,raider,nightshield,splinter racks,aethersails.
-razorwing/splinter cannon
-3 units, 5 scourges/4 haywire blasters
-5 scourges/4 splinter cannons
-venom/extra splinter cannon
-4 mandrakes
-9 wracks/raider,night shield, aethersails, darklance
-ravager/3 dark lances
-voidraven
This list is 1848points but is it legal? Can I take an empty venom as fast attack? If so, can I fill said venom with 4 mandrakes an the archon? Can the archon be my warlord or is urien rakarth have to be my warlord? What are the strength's and weaknesses of this list/army?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26 2015, 19:26

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
This list is 1848points but is it legal?
As long as you're using the Realspace Raiders detachment and not a Combined Arms Detachment.
You could also buy the Venom via the Archon - and then this would be a legal CAD if you so desire.

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
Can I take an empty venom as fast attack?
Yes.

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
If so, can I fill said venom with 4 mandrakes an the archon?
Yes.

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
Can the archon be my warlord or is urien rakarth have to be my warlord?
Either unit can be used as your Warlord.

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
What are the strength's and weaknesses of this list/army?
Your strengths are against infantry. The army is well built to beat up MC heavy lists or infantry based shooting lists. It will struggle a touch versus assault based infantry though.
Your weaknesses are against vehicles. Especially shooting vehicles. You'll do fine versus, say, Knight lists, but a mechanized shooting list will rip your army apart.

Back to top Go down
TheNamelessArchon
Slave
TheNamelessArchon

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26 2015, 20:53

A mechanized shooting list... By that do you mean like a Russ spam? I thought the 3 units with haywire blasters,  the ravager and the voidraven was a lot. What changes would you recommended to make this a more balanced list?

The sad thing is that I have all of these models but I don't have anytime to play and I want to run this list really bad.
Back to top Go down
Tattooudrew
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2015, 00:54

in my experience, you need more scourges if you want them to live long enough to do much of anything, i would get rid of the one unit and just add them into your anti tank so you can open up some slots for venoms (il get to them in a sec)  just to expensive for what you get IMO. mandrakes will die to any template weapons (but i got some because they look cool) wracks are best used in haemonculus covens as a detachment so they get suped up power from pain rules.  Kab warriors in raider with night shields dark lance and splinter racks is AMAZING, the amount of fire power this brings to the table is great and pretty cheap points wise. A lot of the time i use venoms for fast attack as again for the points, they get so many shots. normally, turn one is crucial, pick the high value targets and shoot them till their dead so your opponent can't hit you as hard the next turn, and keep doing that as you grab objectives and you will see the scales slowly tip in your favor, other wise it will be a awful pitiful loss because dark eldar is quite fragile. i use razor wings and void ravens in non competitive matches because you never know when they will come in but they are deffinetly fun to play with. i would just take 3 ravagers though for heavy support because they are pretty reliable.

Oh yeah, and for elites blaster trueborns in venoms are nice, also blood brides as a tarpit unit to tie up any nastiness
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28 2015, 08:52

Please do not douple post within 48 hours but use edit function instead. ///Vasara

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
JackKnife01
Sybarite
JackKnife01

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29 2015, 17:48

Voidraven is great at tank popping but it has to come on early enough to make use of itself. Same with scouges. If all come on at once then they should hurt armor. I would drop the splinter cannon scourges for heat lances. Then drop the drakes and with the extra points from them and they scourges get some trueborn. Put them in the venom. That or drop the venom, give them a raider with night shields and dark lances and put them with the Archon.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29 2015, 18:28

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
A mechanized shooting list... By that do you mean like a Russ spam? I thought the 3 units with haywire blasters,  the ravager and the voidraven was a lot.
Is it though?

Let's just take a rather simple thing - your opponent has 4 Leman Russes (or 4 Razorbacks, or 4 Battlewagons, or 4 Ravagers, or 4 Wave Serpents, et al)

You want to kill the enemy vehicles.
The Scourges will shoot at 1. 4 shots, 2.6 hits, 2.2 hull points before saves. So, odds are, the Leman/whatever is still alive. So you shoot it with a 2nd unit of Scourges. That kills it more than likely.
You then have the 3rd Scourges and the Ravager vs. 3 vehicles. You can probably kill 1 (again, presuming no saves) with that.
Your Void Raven won't arrive till turn 2+ so doesn't count here.
Your opponent can then answer - and can use anti-infantry tools to kill Scourges (you cannot use your anti-infantry tools to kill his vehicles). A Leman/Chimera/Wave Serpent is pretty capable of either killing a Ravager, or forcing it to jink, or damaging it so that it has to snap fire next turn. It is also pretty reasonable to expect 1-2 dead units of Scourges since they would have had to move up to get their shots.

That leaves you a snapfiring/dead Ravager 1-2 units of Scourges (able to kill about 1 vehicle a turn if they focus fire, avoid giving them saves, and it has 3 hull points) and a VoidRaven that might be showing up.

Compare that to my usual 1850 list, wherein I field 20+ dark matter shots on average, and sometimes some haywire and/or melta to boot. Also, recognize that the above is spread out across 13+ units, whereas you have 5 units. What is easier to kill - 5 or 13? Your anti-mech shooting is easy to kill, and, on top of that, is limited in how much damage it can do.

At 1850 it is not unreasonable to expect 6+ vehicles to be fielded - I do not think your army has the tools to deal with that.

TheNamelessArchon wrote:
What changes would you recommended to make this a more balanced list?
How do you define 'balanced'?
I actually do not think our codex currently favors balanced as far as shooting v. assault - I think we benefit vastly from shooting over assault (both due to the edition as well as ourlackluster assault tools)
I think your list is currently unbalanced as far s ability to kill mech v. infantry. I would tend to advocate sloughing off some of your anti infantry tools (I immediately look at the amount of points you're tossing into Urien and his Wracks) and using it to beef up your anti-mech capability. Also, I think Mandrakes are a suboptimal pairing with the Archon - frankly I would drop either him and the Mandrakes or Urien and the Wracks. I would even suggest Urien and the Wracks are 'better' than the Archon and Mandrakes, though I would tend to favor Urien and Grots over Urien and Wracks if that's what you want to do.

I also think Scourges are suboptimal anti-tank tools. For less points than Scourges you can get 5 Warriors w. a Blaster in a Raider with a dark lance. Yes, that is two less shots of anti tank, but it is anti tank shooting that is *also* good at killing infantry and MCs (which haywire blasters are not) will allow you to fire at multiple targets, and also is a Troop selection for objectives. I think Scourges have their point, but they suffer from fragility, and single purpose (if your opponent has a Riptide or WraithKnight than a dark matter shot is great, while a haywire shot is useless) also, though Scourges excel against Superheavy stuff (they rule versus Imperial Knights) you need to assess how often you'll see such things.

I think your current list looks perfectly fun, and in friendly play would be fun to fight, and to play. But depending on how competitive your opposition is, and also how many vehicles they have access to, the list will probably lose more often than not.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to dark eldar. many questions.   new to dark eldar. many questions. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new to dark eldar. many questions.
Page 1 of 1