THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior
HokutoAndy

What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? Empty
PostSubject: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04 2015, 07:38

Dual shuriken cannon vypers seemed to be the standard, but now you can run two windrunner jetbikes with shuriken cannons for only 4 points more so I figure the value of vypers now would be in the weapons they get access to that their little bros in the troops slot don't get.

The starcannon is their cheapest replacement, followed by lances and scatter lasers that cost twice as much while the missile launcher is 3x more but comes with skyfire s7 heavy 1 missiles.

I'm leaning towards missiles as they can use their mobility to chase down flyers and it's as good as a brightlance against most vehicle's side/rear armor.... but then killing flyers is what the crimon hunter does at a pretty efficient price point too.

Vypers are among my favorite models in the 40k range, so I'm keen on finding a way for them to work.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04 2015, 08:39

They unlock access to some formations.

Thats all.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death
egorey

PostSubject: Re: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitimeFri May 08 2015, 16:38

For a 100 pts you  get a very fast, 4 HP unit of two Vypers that fire 12 S6 shots which become AP2 on any To Wound rolls of 6. This is pretty efficient in an MSU style list. Cost per shot ratio is very good at slightly over 8 pts. Scatbikes of course are shooting a different weapon with no AP2 but are 6.75 pts per shot. They have the speed and decent jink saves so why not use them and warwalkers?

That said scatterlaser warwalkers are really not as efficient as bikes. They have battle focus and can outflank. Personally I think a mix of the two can work quite well. If I took just one though warwalkers would be first generally.

Rock.
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitimeMon May 11 2015, 23:03

Well... they weren't any good anyway, you would have just used war walkers instead. I suppose at least they're cheaper now.

And for some bizarre reason, scatter lasers cost more for them than for anyone else.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior
HokutoAndy

PostSubject: Re: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitimeTue May 12 2015, 07:47

Reading http://elite40k.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/army-list-harlequins-1850-pts-msu-mech.html (good guide for Harlequins and CWE), the guy mentions that a twin shurikannon vyper with holofield is only 5pts cheaper than a Harlequin starweaver which has all that AND 6 man transport capability. The DE Venom has a similar advantage

I figure what could be done is a light conversion of the vyper into a hornet.
Back to top Go down
egorey
The Duck of Death
egorey

PostSubject: Re: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20 2015, 14:42

We begin to paint ourselves into corners quickly. The vyper is a decent unit. It can fitted for AA or AI or AT. If you are not playing DE or Harlies in your Eldar list those comparisons are meaningless.

The issue arises when we compare within the Eldar codex and see hornets and warwalkers, et all. Now I am one of those that wants to play with all my toys. I still want to use Wraithlords. I want to fill my fast attack slots up and my heavy support slots up if I can.

The point? You can make vypers work for you. There are no truly bad units in the Eldar codex. The Eldar codex is very forgiving with one of the best troop choices in the game, with great formations, with d weapons everywhere. Of course you can win fielding vypers if you like them.

Sean took a list to a tournament full of Lictors nad Mawlocs. At the time everyone was fielding triple dakka flyrants with a barbed hierodule. Sean won. He never tabled anyone. He just played to the mission. Well, Eldar plays to the mission better than anyone and vypers are fast enough and insignificant enough (not usually a target priority) that they indeed can help you.

Rock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?   What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's a good use for vypers now that regular jetbikes get all those s6 weapons?
Page 1 of 1