THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Corsair vypers - Loadout?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

Corsair vypers - Loadout? Empty
PostSubject: Corsair vypers - Loadout?   Corsair vypers - Loadout? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 03:26

So I have 6 vypers I'm considering for my corsairs list.

I already have a unit of 3 hornets with pulse lasers which means - excellent, fast, anti-tank.  Anti infantry fire is pretty much everywhere in the book, but I'll probably take mine in the form of 5 point splinter cannon upgrades on cloud dancer bikes.

So with anti tank and anti infantry pretty evenly covered, I wanted to do something "versatile" with the vypers, but it's feeling kind of schizo.  Something in the back of my head is saying "don't EVER mix weapons".

In this case that would mean adding both a lance (+5) and splinter cannon (+10) per vyper for a total of 55 points per model.  This would bring the total for 6 up to 330 points... Shocked  Adding the kinetic shroud (improved flickerfield only works against shooting) and void burners (deep strike) and the unit cost comes to 350 points, but on a unit this size are pretty much a no-brainer.

That cost is a problem, but I could always scale back for smaller games.  My real problem is that I won't get to play test it at all until the book actually comes out, and basically I want to start working on them now.  The primary weapons are of course magnetized, but replacing the secondary weapon is going to mean more permanent conversion work, so I sorta need to decide.

So basically - Would you ever consider mixing lance and splinter weapons?  If it helps any, I do occasionally face wraithknights.  I also expect I'll be seeing a new (and cheesy) tau army in the near future, and whatever other new gargantuan GW comes up with.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Corsair vypers - Loadout?   Corsair vypers - Loadout? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 06:50

Deep striking with a unit of vehicles that size is very risky.

Besides that I could see it working alright. Though a shuriken cannon instead of a Splinter cannon give you a lot more diversity in what the unit can do.

I also think 2 units of 3 or 3 units of two would be more ideal.

Just my two cents
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Corsair vypers - Loadout?   Corsair vypers - Loadout? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08 2015, 15:53

colinsherlow wrote:
Deep striking with a unit of vehicles that size is very risky.

This is why I love these forums.  I get it in my mind that "I can take a squad of 6 venoms with a +5 point lance!", and I plan from there without ever thinking about the reality of trying to use that unit.  It's great that other players can show me the flaw in my own thinking before I embarrass myself on the table. cheers

colinsherlow wrote:
I also think 2 units of 3 or 3 units of two would be more ideal.

The 2 units of 3 is a more likely scenario, but I'd like to be able to field them all in one unit as well in case I ever splurge on another set of hornets or a nightwing (assuming CAD).

The physical size of this unit though I really had not considered; mixing weapon ranges might actually be pretty optimal.  If I go ahead and model a group of 3 with dual shuriken cannons and 3 with the 36" lance/splinter combo, I'll have 2 small and effective squads.  If I then combine them together in larger games, half the vypers will still be able to fire 4-8-12" back in the squad, while still getting that good anti-gargantuan/heavy infantry punch from the shurikens in front.

colinsherlow wrote:
Just my two cents

It is very much appreciated - Now to find some bits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corsair vypers - Loadout?   Corsair vypers - Loadout? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Corsair vypers - Loadout?
Page 1 of 1