THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Turbo boosting and turning

Go down 
+2
Tiri Rana
Mr Believer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

Turbo boosting and turning Empty
PostSubject: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 08:41

I know in the rules it says to make a bladevane attack with a Reaver, you have to trace an imaginary line from start point to end point. But is it possible to turn during this move? So, for example, you could boost 20 inches over a unit, then turn at a right angle and move 16 inches to behind cover. Or does the imaginary line have to be straight and form your whole move?
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 10:55

It is not very clearly worded, and moreover the rules for chain snares are totally different.

All in all I'd say, that a 'line' doesn't need to be a 'straight line'.

Last edited by Tiri Rana on Tue Sep 20 2011, 11:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 11:20

Ok, that's good, that makes them just as deadly as I'd hoped!
Back to top Go down
BlckRven
Kabalite Warrior
BlckRven

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 13:05

I didn't quit believe it worked that way, so I checked the errata/FAQ on the GW website.

it appeares that you apparantly can move however you want, but you only hit ONE unit somewhere betweem A and B.

example:

you move 12" straight, make a 90 degree turn, move 12" than the bladevanes, weird enough, hit ONE unit in the diagonal line between start and finish, even though he never passed over that unit.

Quote :
Q: How do you mark the start and end points of a unit
of unit of Reavers move when they are using their
special Bladevanes attack? (p29)
A: Should confusion arise, simply pick any model in the
unit as the start point and mark that spot. Then move
the unit and pick any model as the end point. One
unengaged, non-vehicle unit under the line between
the two markers can then be chosen to be the target of
the attack.

(apparently I can't post links, so remove the space in the redzone when going to the address.
games-workshop.com/ MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1930209a_Dark_Eldar_Version_1__1.pdf (p2)
This states that you only pick two waypoint, end and start, for the line. No other waypoint during the turboboost.

I also put 'one' in caps, becasue I had the impression you thought you could hit a infinite number of enemy's as long as they were under the line.
Back to top Go down
Cailos
Kabalite Warrior
Cailos

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 15:11

I thought from running turboboost it was a straight line. I don't have the BRB with me right now but I will check it when I can.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 15:39

All lines are always straight, at least that is what the word line means.
(not the best definition, but you get the point.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(geometry)
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 17:06

Though I dislike it - my belief is that a line between two points tends to indicate a straight line.

Generally in tournaments I have never had an opponent actually make issue about this, as long as you moved over his unit during your move.

So, I think RAW - two points, straight line, only units under the line

and RAP - a unit that was under your movement path.
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 18:30

Cailos wrote:
I thought from running turboboost it was a straight line. I don't have the BRB with me right now but I will check it when I can.

BRB p.76 wrote:

...When using their turbo-boosters they may
move up to 24" in the Movement phase. (...)
so they cannot move through difficult terrain,
shoot, launch assaults or execute any other
voluntary action in the same turn. (...) A unit
using turbo-boosters must end its move at
least 18" away from its starting point to claim
this cover save, as it relies on flat-out speed.

So a unit turbo-boosting may move, as they want. They just have to end their move at least 18" away from their start, if and only if they want to claim the 3+ cover save.
I guess we agree, we all want to claim it, but it would be possible to move in a circle, or back and forth, while passing over numerous units, but not able to target any.
Back to top Go down
BlckRven
Kabalite Warrior
BlckRven

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20 2011, 23:32

I vaguely remember an errata on the chaos dex, I thought, or was it eldar?

that changed a certain psychic power (or the vibro cannon). And the only change made to that line in the dex was: replace "...... line..... " with "..... straight line...."

this implies two things.

1. GW mixes up lines and straight-lines more often.

2. If a straight-line needs to be mentioned explicitly, than it also implies that a non-linear line is meant with the text 'line'.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21 2011, 10:30

I knew you could only hit one enemy unit, I just thought I'd check about turning - it strikes me that if they're really as skilled as they're supposed to be (corkscrewing through the air lopping off heads and such) then turning at speed shouldn't present much of a problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turbo boosting and turning   Turbo boosting and turning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turbo boosting and turning
Page 1 of 1