THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

FW Hornet

Go down 
+2
Count Adhemar
Nariaklizhar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29 2015, 16:31

Anybody use it? How does it play? On paper it looks better and cheaper than our ravagers. I'm thinking about proxying my ravager for a hornet in an upcoming friendly game
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29 2015, 16:41

Sadly I don't think the Ravager is even in the same ball park as the Hornet. Granted they only have 2 HP to the Ravager's 3 but they cost 45 points less, are faster and chuck out considerably more firepower. Plus they come in squadrons and have Scout, Acute Senses and can still snap shot after moving flat out.
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29 2015, 16:45

The Hornet is very very good and far superior like Count said in everyway. 80pts nets you 4 Str. 8 Ap 2 shots at 48'' range w/ Scout and Acute Senses. Scout seems to be one of the best things for it as opponents will normally try to measure out of your 60'' effective range when in reality you have 72''. I have used them and highly recommend them.
Back to top Go down
Nariaklizhar
Sybarite

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 00:21

I just realized that if I run Eldar Allies, I can actually run 1-3 Hornets as a squad and fill only 1 fast attack squad! This thing gets better and better. Do you usually run more than one? I think 2 would be a good number as three may be overkill
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 03:08

I think 2 is the sweet spot. They put out enough firepower to down anything you need outside of a Knight. They are small enough to hide and Scout forward to allow other threats to take pressure off of them. Plus the points spent is minimal compared to the 3rd you could put in.
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 09:12

Am I looking at a different Eldar Hornet, because the rules on Forgeworld's site are completely different to the ones you are telling. For 85 points, you get 2 Str 8 Ap2 Lance shots and Scout. Meh. Also, Experimental Rules, not 40k approved, so no one is going to let you take them.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/h/hornetexp.pdf
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 09:53

interestingly the current rules are out of print it seems! that PDF is from before the rules were published!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 11:10

Yet another stupidity to show how ridiculous letting Forgeworld units into normal 40k games in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Demantiae
Sybarite
Demantiae

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 15:34

It's known that the Hornets are extremely strong for their points cost. They're one of the still broken Eldar units.

I agree with Hellstrom on the stupidity of using FW rules in games but there are plenty of GW ruled units that are broken. I would like however for GW to stop pretending FW has nothing to do with them and just release the rules for the models in the relevant codexes, balanced as they do everything. Yeah they might still be broken but no more so than a Wraith Knight. GW can leave FW to produce the models if they think it's not cost effective to port them over but they should stop pretending and just add the damned rules to the base game. Especially for factions like the DE that have so few units compared to other factions. The Tantalus and Reaper are kind of needed in the DE codex to address some of the shortcomings of the list. The other flier looks to be redundant (and it's appearance is a throwback to 3rd ed Reavers) so that can probabaly just be dropped or left FW only but the other two are kind of needed.

Many of the FW Eldar vehicles (Hornets, Wasps, Scorpions etc) fill niches that are pretty useful in an Eldar army. They should just be normalized into the game.

Hornets are great little vehicles, I love the look of them (best Eldar skimmer out there I think) and wouldn't hesitate to use them in a Corsair or bring Eldar army. I wouldn't use them with DE though because their appearance doesn't match. But it's appealing to custom build something using DE parts that can "count as" as a Hornet or two. not so much for the awesome firepower (because at some point that will get nerfed and you might houserule it down anyway) but because of the outflank. this is something the DE lack and which could be very useful to us.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 17:59

Hellstrom wrote:
Am I looking at a different Eldar Hornet, because the rules on Forgeworld's site are completely different to the ones you are telling.  For 85 points, you get 2 Str 8 Ap2 Lance shots and Scout.  Meh.  Also, Experimental Rules, not 40k approved, so no one is going to let you take them.

Those are old rules from before the current ones were published. The current version is in IA Apocalypse 2013 and is as I described in my earlier post. The main difference being that the Pulse Lasers are 5 points each, not 40!
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych
Hellstrom

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30 2015, 19:25

Count Adhemar wrote:
Hellstrom wrote:
Am I looking at a different Eldar Hornet, because the rules on Forgeworld's site are completely different to the ones you are telling.  For 85 points, you get 2 Str 8 Ap2 Lance shots and Scout.  Meh.  Also, Experimental Rules, not 40k approved, so no one is going to let you take them.

Those are old rules from before the current ones were published. The current version is in IA Apocalypse 2013 and is as I described in my earlier post. The main difference being that the Pulse Lasers are 5 points each, not 40!

Odd that FW have out of date rules on their own website.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FW Hornet Empty
PostSubject: Re: FW Hornet   FW Hornet I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FW Hornet
Page 1 of 1