THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions

Go down 
+6
Squidmaster
SCP Yeeman
Painjunky
CptMetal
CurstAlchemist
BizarreShowbiz
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BizarreShowbiz
Sybarite
BizarreShowbiz

Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions Empty
PostSubject: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05 2015, 11:19

Hello fellow commorrites. I uploaded an army list a couple days ago with some pictures of my army attached and @Painjunky asked how did I make my grotesques. I didnt want to go offtopic there, so I've made a step by step guide over here in The Workshops. Heres the final result on the battlefield:

Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions 11046945_541509652659021_5209124678470869635_o

Horrors based grotesques are definetly the best choice, but im a college student (AKA: broke) and I had to get creative in order to field them, so I bought some greenstuff, took out my bitz box (most importantly, Taloses bits) and scrathbuilt them. Some turned better than others, but by the 3rd one I had standarized the process. Its simple, really. this are the steps I took to make them:

First step is to cut two little "sticks" out of some sprues and glue them together to form some sort of a cross
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions OlBs1Gd

Then you take your green stuff. For the pecs simply make two greenstuff balls, place them on each side of the cross intersection and shape them at will. You dont even need expensive tools to manipulate them. I did this with a wet old ballpen point. ALWAYS keep your hands wet or you'll leave fingerprints EVERYWHERE.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions 67Mw2mk
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions U9Gcv5B
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions EBHJTYT
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions AhZTfUt

Then make little cylinders. These will be the abs of the grotesques.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions Dtcs2A5
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions 8mKh8RD

When you haf put three in a row, make another two cylinders and attack them to the sides of the abs slighly deeper. This is for attaching the "back" of the grotesque without deforming the abs.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions HmRBCaf
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions QIgBVMu

For the back, we will flatten a chunk on greenstuff and attach it on the back of the cross and resting into the cylinders we just located on both sides of the abs. Once done, pick a pen and make two little incisions on both sides. That will make it seems like muscles.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions SgYEYjq
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions G8kboer
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions W5GApVP

And voilá, heres our torso!
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions HcQaZqS

THe heads are really simple. Just grab a head (ANY head. One of my grotesques even has a kroot head. Nod to the webcomic Eatatau.) and put a spare talos mask on it. If it doesnt fir properly, cut the front of the head until it does. Once done, gue it on top of the torso. If it doesnt "fit" well, use some greenstuff to do some neck muscles.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions LXJNIas
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions UjZFmd4

For the back, add musculature at will using little balls of greenstuff. Dont bother much though, it will be later covered by the spine (made our of the Chronos spine bits) and other stuff from the talos box (syringes, containers, antlers... whatever)

For the shoulders, Talos "gauntlet" bits fit nicely, and for hands I just used bits and pieces that fitted well and went for that. Talos spare arms are nice.

Once you have this done, cut another piece of sprue of the length you want their "legs" to be and let it dry for a day or so
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions T3v73eK

Bear in mind, grotesques are anabolized beyond recognition, so go as wild with them as you want. They dont have to be perfectly symmetrical either (meaning arm lenght, musculature... even paint scheme, becouse haemonculi often use parts from different bodies to make a single grotesque. Think frankenstein monster type.

If you feel like it, you can model legs, but they are very difficult to make beleivable, so I opted for a japanese-style long skirt. With some I went the extra mile and openly made them poses to seem like they dont actually have legs and are gravitating Talos-like.

Sadly I dont have images of the skirt making process becouse frankly is the least fun and more difficult part to properly pull off. Flatten a good chunk of green stuff and wrap it around their hips. In a couple of tries you'll eventually get a beleivable shape for the skirt. Once you get it, flatten green stuff made cylinder and use it as cloth belt to hide the part where you fused skirt with lower torso. Final result should be something like this.

Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions RbOAgU6
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions 7i5UtWH

Paint them up and you have cheap grotesques.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions JlEflnz
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions RgKqRnt
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions LY7O9C7

I made a total of 6. They seem hard to do, but once you've done one or two, you'll automate the process and will be very simple. And they look badass on the table.
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions 11357208_582595681883751_7575084604270856462_o
Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions 11046945_541509652659021_5209124678470869635_o

Hope this comes in handy at least for inspiration to someone that wants to make grotesques and dont know where to begin.
Back to top Go down
http://engalie40k.blogspot.com.es/
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05 2015, 17:07

Wow that is really cool, always fun to see these kinds of things.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05 2015, 18:49

Wow! They are indeed scratch built..! Looking good!

Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05 2015, 22:00

Great stuff! Thanks mate!

Seems I need to work on my green stuff skills.
Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06 2015, 16:30

Those look sweet! Really like how they turned out. I have not tried Green Stuffing things like this before, might have to try and do something like this! Awesome job!
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07 2015, 11:47

Excellent work!
I may have to favourite this page so I can use the technique for the torsos.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
koshi482
Kabalite Warrior
koshi482

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10 2015, 02:34

Wow. I need to really work on my skills those look awsome.

Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior
Mr_Pink

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10 2015, 02:48

These are very simple but damn cool. EXCELLENT work!

Back to top Go down
http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10 2015, 09:08

Excellent, I totally need to try that... Superb... Thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Rathian
Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19 2015, 17:49

BRILLIANT! I came across this as I've been searching for advice on making Grotesques, I'm waiting on a shipment of Rat Ogres from the Island of Blood boxed set I got on ebay, I have a Talos for my army and there's a ton of spares (especially face masks) so was thinking a conversion was possible. LOVE your work with green stuff, inspirational.

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions   Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesque Scratchbuilt conversions
Page 1 of 1