THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Grotesque Conversions

Go down 
+4
facelessabsalom
Tengu
Thor665
Plastikente
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Grotesque Conversions Empty
PostSubject: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02 2013, 18:11

For September, I have been working on some conversions to be Grotesques for my Prophets of Flesh coven.  In their wisdom, GW decided to make a unit with a minimum size of 3, but only produce 1 finecast pose for the model.  I didn't fancy all of my monstrous infantry striking the exact same pose, so I went looking for conversion ideas and found this awesome idea while browsing the boards here at TDC.

Everblight Warspears from the Hordes game are pretty similar in style to GW's Wracks, but made on a 40mm scale, which makes them ideal to be the Wracks' big brothers.  I used spare masks from the Talos/Cronos set to block off all their faces, and also used spare weapons and accessories to ensure that they tied in with the rest of my force.

Grotesque Conversions 9717183439_165bde1d64

Grotesque Conversions 9720416162_da96d81410

Grotesque Conversions 9720417538_2fe672007a

Grotesque Conversions 9720418810_6d30b74165

Grotesque Conversions 9720420648_cecc5970b0

And having converted them by the 10th, it took me the rest of the month to paint them up with my army colours.

Grotesque Conversions 10040736254_256dbe9ab7

Grotesque Conversions 10040731634_4ea300ce43

Grotesque Conversions 10040862093_ebb8dda255

Grotesque Conversions 10040762995_830f001b9e

Grotesque Conversions 10040778566_c9fbbbe2d3

I am very pleased with how these came out, although I feel obliged to state again that the conversion wasn't entirely my own idea.  It has worked really well though.  I wasn't intending to add the freehand details, but when I had finished everything else I really felt like something was missing.  Hopefully they'll live up to their appearance on the table  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02 2013, 18:44

I was kind of neutral towards them prior to painting, but your colors really helped pull them together as workable. I think I'm still more inclined towards the ol' Rat Ogre conversion, but these are actually very nice.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03 2013, 20:49

Those are awesome! (says she who is too busy making xmas presents to paint much)
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03 2013, 21:04

Nice grots, are they in the same size as the GW models?

That's a very good idea to get variations.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04 2013, 03:40

Great work Plastikente! Plenty of expression with the poses, and a very nice paint job. I have Rat Ogre conversions myself, which I love, but I have also been a big fan of the Warspears ever since Eye first came out with his conversions.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 04 2013, 07:17

facelessabsalom wrote:
Nice grots, are they in the same size as the GW models?
Er, not sure - I don't own the Finecast one.  Hordes miniatures are on a larger scale than 40k, which means the Grots look suitably taller and bulkier than my Wracks:
Grotesque Conversions 10040852983_e5894da103
Back to top Go down
lcfr
Sybarite
lcfr

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22 2013, 00:34

Does the Talos kit come with enough spare parts to build a Talos/Cronos and still have bits left to convert 3-4 grots with face masks and the odd arm/hand replacement?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22 2013, 11:04

lcfr wrote:
Does the Talos kit come with enough spare parts to build a Talos/Cronos and still have bits left to convert 3-4 grots with face masks and the odd arm/hand replacement?
Definitely. The kit is extremely generous with spare bits as the Talos and Cronos basically only share the torso. So if you build a Talos, all the Cronos parts are spare and vice versa. Plus you get 5 or 6 o the face masks in each kit!
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22 2013, 14:52

Count Adhemar wrote:
lcfr wrote:
Definitely. The kit is extremely generous with spare bits as the Talos and Cronos basically only share the torso. So if you build a Talos, all the Cronos parts are spare and vice versa. Plus you get 5 or 6 o the face masks in each kit!
Darn I didnt even know that... I was thinking all these grot conversions needed at least three talos boxes before you got enough masks!
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22 2013, 16:44

I have a Talos and a Cronos, so my bits box included spares from two kits. That said, I'm sure that there are enough spare masks in a single kit for at least 4 conversions, as well as all of the weapons and arms/tentacles that you wouldn't use.
Back to top Go down
lcfr
Sybarite
lcfr

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29 2014, 17:28

So I took the plunge and tried this out...I wavered between using Crypt Horrors and Warspears for a bit but then figured the Warspears are not only cheaper but I can build up to 5 Grots with it (Damn the Talos kit has a LOT of goodies for this!).

I actually used the Talos torso to model my Aberration....cut the Warspear in half and with a bit of greenstuff it's a perfect fit. I'm only half decent at sculpting fur (long time Beastmen player), so I covered the armoured carapace in a thick fur and followed the theme with the regular Grotesques, extending the face hair to cover the neck and back of the head...I tried to keep the Ripley Clones from Alien Resurrection in mind as inspiration, and figured some thick hair growth as the result of the hormones these guys are fed is fitting.

I'll post pictures once the conversions are done....3 are in mid-progress, a 4th will eventually be made. Thanks for the inspiration!
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29 2014, 23:14

Sounds good! Can't wait to see the pics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grotesque Conversions   Grotesque Conversions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grotesque Conversions
Page 1 of 1