THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Desperate mesures

Go down 
+4
Creeping Darkness
Jimsolo
Brom
dumpeal
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 00:22

It's not really a tactic, but, about the many complains there was, an idea came out in my mind.

An alternate game setting to do with a friend.

Basic: You take opponent codex, and you chose half the point your ennemy will play. Try to make the most crappies units, most expensive and all.

Then, you make your army with the half remaining. The purpose? Test the adaptation of each general with non-desired troops. It will too be fun, because you will use units you never use normally.

Of course, for this, proxys are allowed.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 01:11

Seems like the long way around to just agreeing to build lists that are comparable in power level. Accomplishes the same thing too.

Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 01:19

No. The fun is to try to find a way to do something useful with somes bad units.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 01:21

The biggest limit on this will be peoples' collections. I mean, if we played and I used my Space Marines, you couldn't pick any crappy units, since I don't own any that can be fielded.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 02:39

Personally I quite like the idea (completely impractical on many levels) of the bridge-style 40k tourney, where the boards, scenarios and even armies are set, and players rotate between them. You could do it as a doubles tourney, where each player on team A takes an opposing side against team B. So say table 1 and 2 are a mirror match of a set DE army vs a set SM army, same terrain, same scenario, one member of team A plays DE on board 1, the other plays SM on board 2.

Then you could make the armies into whatever you wanted, or even specifically set up mismatches, and award the team that handles them better more points.

There is too much effort in setting it all up, of course (who wants to paint 16 armies for other people to play with?), but it'd be a cool idea. Maybe at a local club level, with some forethought and collaboration?

(I think this was mentioned elsewhere in the forum, sorry can't remember who or where or I would link back!)

Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 05:34

Someday I might do that. I've got over 20k in models, so it's totally feasible.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 12:48

This idea heavilly rely on proxying. Of course, I won't buy 2 hellions squad just for this game.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2015, 19:13

How would this work for FOCs, Formations and such?

I mean, could I buy a unit in a specific formation and thus force that player to buy the rest of that formation? Likewise, could I, for example, load out a RSR detachment with hellions, and leave him to buy the necessary troops and HQ to make the army legal? Hell, could I take Come the Apocalypse allies for him - thus making his army unbound?

If you see what I mean.

EDIT: Or, do you just pick a lot of units and it's then up to that player what FOC, Formations and such to use to fit them in when he builds the rest of his list.

Last edited by The Shredder on Sat Aug 22 2015, 19:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2015, 19:14

Just agree to a Friendly game. I understand what you are trying to do, but, this just makes the game more... awkward so to say, when you can just ask for a even friendly game.

A friend of mine plays Eldar (and has for a while) He ROLLED DICE to build is Armor, COMPLETELY random 2x!!!! and Won both times.

Some Books just has nothing bad in them and others 1/2 the book is just bad.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2015, 15:11

The Shredder wrote:
How would this work for FOCs, Formations and such?

I mean, could I buy a unit in a specific formation and thus force that player to buy the rest of that formation? Likewise, could I, for example, load out a RSR detachment with hellions, and leave him to buy the necessary troops and HQ to make the army legal? Hell, could I take Come the Apocalypse allies for him - thus making his army unbound?

If you see what I mean.

EDIT: Or, do you just pick a lot of units and it's then up to that player what FOC, Formations and such to use to fit them in when he builds the rest of his list.

I would say the units picked by the opponent simply don't count in the FOC.

amishprn86 wrote:
Just agree to a Friendly game. I understand what you are trying to do, but, this just makes the game more... awkward so to say, when you can just ask for a even friendly game.

There is strategy in the choice of the units you give to your ennemy, too. And, even in a "friendly game", I don't want my opponent to go easy on me. I'll do everything I can to defeat him, and I expect the same for him. I just hate predictables games and a bit of "random" is fun. Not a real random in the unit choice, because the winning will be dependant of luck instead of tactical skill.

After thought, it should have some limitations in the unit choices. Maybe limitate the number of upgrade, to avoid having a single HQ with a crap of useless upgrades.
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2015, 16:16

Quote :
Basic: You take opponent codex, and you chose half the point your ennemy will play. Try to make the most crappies units, most expensive and all.

Then, you make your army with the half remaining. The purpose? Test the adaptation of each general with non-desired troops. It will too be fun, because you will use units you never use normally.
This seems like it would turn out unfun forcing 'crappiest units'. Or maybe that was just the wrong terminology idk.

I like the general gist but maybe make it something more like everyone builds a cool friendly themed list they wouldn't mind piloting and then its a random army swap. I would enjoy that personally. Lets say I build a flesh tearers themed army led by gabriel seth in a redeemer full of death company/vangaurd vets/cmd squad. Not horribly sub par but thematic and unusual and fun.

Or to bring it closer to what your saying, maybe not the crappiest units but something thematic and unusual, just not geared for complete fail.. like each opponent gets to select the leader + bodyguard of the army with X pts to do so. Unit and HQ need to be functional and represent the force they lead in fluff etc.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2015, 16:41

I think the best idea is to just play 2 games, swapping armies with your opponent for the second game. Encourages people to build more balanced lists and also gives them a taste of their own medicine if they produce some WAAC monstrosity. Very Happy

Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2015, 16:56

Agree.
Choosing/Banning units for your opponent has the possibility to create games that neither of both players enjoy and still makes no difference in terms of power when even his "bad" units are still better than your "mediums"
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2015, 17:01

Count Adhemar wrote:
I think the best idea is to just play 2 games, swapping armies with your opponent for the second game. Encourages people to build more balanced lists and also gives them a taste of their own medicine if they produce some WAAC monstrosity. Very Happy

Just doing it would only make 1 win, 1 loss, if the armies are unbalanced. It can still be interesting. I've already done it sometimes in the past.

I've tried 1vs1vs1 game, with 2 friends. Just focussing on objectives and anihilation. Turned out alliances and betreyals aren't only done by the dark kin! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Desperate mesures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desperate mesures   Desperate mesures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Desperate mesures
Page 1 of 1