THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?

Go down 
+8
Barnie25
Bleaksoul Brethren
Count Adhemar
Rokuro
flakmonkey
thesaltedwound
Massaen
The Shredder
12 posters
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 17:04

Basically the title - does anyone ever ally in desperate allies or come the apocalypse allies into their DE army?
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 17:23

Necrons and Knights have worked very well for me in small doses with my dark eldar
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 17:27

Massaen wrote:
Necrons and Knights have worked very well for me in small doses with my dark eldar

What Necron stuff do you use?

Also, do you not find the 'One eye open' rule a problem?
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 18:40

If there's a specific thing that needs doing, you can send an ally to do it without worrying too much about One Eye Open.
I've used a 100% deepstriking deldar list with some tough Nurgle CSM turn 1 board presence (before I had any coven units), or you could have deep striking or infiltrating allies. You do have to be careful, but it can work.
Back to top Go down
http://Www.bakeframes.bigcartel.com
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 19:01

I've used Imperial Guard and Chaos Marines a few times, main reasons being
-I have the models so may as well use them
-I have a short attention span and keep changing lists
-Bring a specific ability (I played against a Guard player who liked tanks and defence lines, so I allied in a few of my own tanks and a Valkyrie with flamer vet squad, I played a BA player so allied in a Heldrake to roast marines)
Positioning can be a pain, but worst thing is I always forget specific rules for my Allies.
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 19:16

I think Eldar have everything I could want from my allies. But I would bring my Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines if I had a good reason.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 22 2015, 22:16

I've used a Culexus assassin.
Back to top Go down
Bleaksoul Brethren
Sybarite
Bleaksoul Brethren

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 05:19

I've done Dark Eldar with Tyranids. Worked well, still working out the kinks (I've only done it 2 times) and the opponent was tau with sky fire on everything (2 broadside teams, 3 riptides) but it's a nasty list.
Back to top Go down
Barnie25
Slave
Barnie25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 06:23

What do you guys look for out of allies? Extra AT, CC support, horde control? Most Eldar allies will be reserve manipulation and extra AT but I find eldar allies te be a bit boring.
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 08:42

Barnie25 wrote:
What do you guys look for out of allies? Extra AT, CC support, horde control? Most Eldar allies will be reserve manipulation and extra AT but I find eldar allies te be a bit boring.

Pinning weapons, mostly. Pinned units don't strike first when assaulted in cover and can't overwatch. That's exactly what Dark Eldar assault units need, and Eldar deliver it pretty well.
They can also provide a psychic defense and heavy armor.
Back to top Go down
Barnie25
Slave
Barnie25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 09:21

Pinning weapons are a bit unreliable of you ask me. What weapons cause a pinning check? Serpent Shields, Night Spinners and Weapon Batteries (can't remember the weapons name). Realistically you will cause a single pinning check per turn if you ally in a single Serpent, maybe two when running doubles. Then they still need to fail their pinning test in order to be pinned. There are some nice leadership shenanigans in our dex which helps but in general this tactics doesn't seem all that hot to me.

The armour argument does hit home though. Running a Knight as ally does seem interesting.
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23 2015, 09:37

Barnie25 wrote:
Pinning weapons are a bit unreliable of you ask me. What weapons cause a pinning check? Serpent Shields, Night Spinners and Weapon Batteries (can't remember the weapons name). Realistically you will cause a single pinning check per turn if you ally in a single Serpent, maybe two when running doubles. Then they still need to fail their pinning test in order to be pinned. There are some nice leadership shenanigans in our dex which helps but in general this tactics doesn't seem all that hot to me.

The armour argument does hit home though. Running a Knight as ally does seem interesting.

Eldar Missile Launchers can also force pinning checks, and that's what I'm using. I have a Spiritseer to lower enemy morale, and a Succubus with the Armour or Misery and 4 Grotesques. Maybe I'll add a Hemlock at some point.

Now, I wouldn't use that army against Space Marines, but it is fun to play against most other things.
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite
Devilogical

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25 2015, 09:20

Not yet, but i wanna try Deathleaper in my army.
I think it`s kinda fluffy for DE to use some tyranids on the battlefield
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25 2015, 20:45

Count Adhemar wrote:
I've used a Culexus assassin.

Me too. Not a problem. At least for me.
The full Tzeentch Daemon summoner army did not think like this...
Back to top Go down
Barnie25
Slave
Barnie25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 08:26

What about Farsight Enclave allies for some crisis suits and O´Vesa? Gives you a lot of firepower and something we don't have, a tough MC which can control the board from your backfield.

A wraithknight can fit the same role but doesn't have the firepower that a O'Vesa has.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 08:28

Barnie25 wrote:
What about Farsight Enclave allies for some crisis suits and O´Vesa? Gives you a lot of firepower and something we don't have, a tough MC which can control the board from your backfield.

A wraithknight can fit the same role but doesn't have the firepower that a O'Vesa has.

You would have to bring a bunch of markerlights too, the firepower of the riptide is pretty middling for its cost without markerlights.
Back to top Go down
Barnie25
Slave
Barnie25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 08:38

So that would be, a Riptide with Ion, crisis suits and pathfinders for marker lights. Fill it up with fast DE forces and you might have a nice synergistic force. Tau providing back field support while our vehicles can dance around the board wrecking havoc.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 09:24

Barnie25 wrote:
So that would be, a Riptide with Ion, crisis suits and pathfinders for marker lights. Fill it up with fast DE forces and you might have a nice synergistic force. Tau providing back field support while our vehicles can dance around the board wrecking havoc.

You would also need an HQ if that's a 'normal' Riptide. If you want to take O'Vesa then you'd also need to take Farsight himself and have him as your Warlord.
Back to top Go down
Barnie25
Slave
Barnie25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 09:34

Count Adhemar wrote:
Barnie25 wrote:

You would also need an HQ if that's a 'normal' Riptide. If you want to take O'Vesa then you'd also need to take Farsight himself and have him as your Warlord.

Was under the impression you could leave Farsight out of the story, then never mind me Laughing
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 09:58

Barnie25 wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:
Barnie25 wrote:

Was under the impression you could leave Farsight out of the story, then never mind me Laughing

The FAQ cleared up the clunky wording in the actual FE book.

Quote :
When choosing a Farsight Enclaves Detachment with Commander Farsight as its Warlord, you may take Farsight'sCommander Team instead ofFarsight's XV8 Crisis Bodyguard Team
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 14:07

To the people having tried the Culexus Assassin:

How do you deploy and play him? You obviously can't fit him on any kind of transport, so he's stuck with his feet. How do you ever get him close enough to a psyker to make a difference?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 15:31

Infiltrate
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 18:41

Doesn't this just mean he dies right away to a decent assault?
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 19:03

Sigmaril wrote:
Doesn't this just mean he dies right away to a decent assault?

Only if your opponent gets to assault him. Infiltrators in general should be placed strategically.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 26 2015, 22:44

Plus the Culexus has great stats, is attacked at WS/BS1 and ignores armour saves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?   Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever use Desperate allies or Come the Apocalypse allies?
Page 1 of 1