THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list

Go down 
+2
Jimsolo
Woozl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior
Woozl

Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list Empty
PostSubject: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 22:34

I'm planning a new list that involves a grotesquerie, two units of jetbikes, and a unit of incubi, backed by venoms w/ blasters (and possibly also with sybarites/haywire) and either ravagers or crimson hunters. I would consider even more melee in place of extra units of warriors.

The question is: given that I have pretty good target saturation up front (think mostly aggressive first turns with everything turbo-boosting / flat out into an opponent's face) would, at this point, heat lances on the reaver jetbikes become worth it?

They won't get any use first turn, but on subsequent turns, they become a very cheap upgrade that has the ability to very effectively increase the AT ability of the list without negatively affecting the ability to kill non-tank targets (a problem haywire has). They also are a more survivable platform than scourges for the purpose.

Follow up question: Do you put the heat lances on the same model as the caltrops, or on a different model?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21 2015, 23:06

If I buy a Lance, it goes on the caltrop bearer.

These days, I almost never buy the heat Lance.
Back to top Go down
lament.config
Sybarite
lament.config

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2015, 09:50

I tried buying blasters on squads of reavers. I've since stopped. Usually, I run two squads of six or maybe a larger squad of 9 or 12. They aren't really intended to survive. Often, I look at them as a sort of vanguard unit or use them to try and flank the opponent. I have tried to rush backfield campers with them as well.

They need their jink save for survival and when played aggressively they will be shot at. Which is fine. That means people aren't targeting raiders with grotesques, incubi or other assault units. I just don't think you'll get many shots at full ballistic skill.

I too would put them on the models with caltrops as you'll be trying to hide those models from shooting anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22 2015, 17:46

Jimsolo wrote:
If I buy a Lance, it goes on the caltrop bearer.

Same.

I actually don't have many frontline targets in my army (it's almost entirely ranged). Despite this though, I find that my Reavers often do get to fire their Heat Lances. Jinking makes them a pain to remove most of the time, and they're pretty easy to hide behind terrain for a turn.

The issue I have is that the heat lances rarely do anything. Even in melta range, they'll rarely do more than just knock off a hull point.
Back to top Go down
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 13:27

they are more likely to explode something than a blaster, lets be honest.

most of the time i just go for hull point damage to kill vehicles anything else is a bonus as lances arent exactly great
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 13:45

helvexis wrote:
they are more likely to explode something than a blaster, lets be honest.

And the blaster is more likely to explode something than a Shredder. It still doesn't mean the odds are favourable. Razz

helvexis wrote:

most of the time i just go for hull point damage to kill vehicles anything else is a bonus as lances arent exactly great

Well, we're basically forced to do it this way.

In any case, do you think Blasters/Heat Lances are worth it on Reavers to try and strip an extra hull point off their target before they charge?
Back to top Go down
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23 2015, 23:07

depends on the size of the squad, if you have a bunch of 3 man squads then yes 6 man squads probably worth it as well. 9 and 12 though probably not as they are much harder to hide and will probably spend alot of time jinking especially after your opponent sees the amount of damage they put out on the charge for the first time
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24 2015, 11:50

I have to agree with helvexis.

Only on multiple small units, not on large units for the reasons mentioned above.

I usually run 3 units of 6 reavers and I find the blasters/lances are nice to have but seldom get used so I don't often take them.

When I run 6-8 units of 3 however I find I get to shoot with them much more often.
Back to top Go down
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 03:06

i did a post a while ago in a different reaver thread with the math of a 12 man squad hitting things with caltrops, you do a serious amount of damage if you can get them all into b2b on the charge it is really quite scary but they are too fragile to base a list around because as soon as you get hit with some anti cover weapons they are gone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list   Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reaver Jetbikes in a melee saturated list
Page 1 of 1