THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.

Go down 
+4
Raucir Lustingclaw
Gobsmakked
Local_Ork
Kinnay
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Empty
PostSubject: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07 2011, 08:32

Hey,
so I was assembling my Reavers and then noticed that - although they do look very nice - they kind of lacked something in the 'Jetbike = weapon' department. So I tinkered with the thought of adding huge blades to the front- ...thing (you'll see in the pictures).

My question: does it work? Is it too much? Does it move away from being aerodynamic 'n stuff, or does it add to it?
Of course it's incredibly WIP, with all the details still missing and no Green Stuff added whatsoever; but before I really start chopping parts off, I'd like to know what you guys think.

Anyways, the pictures:

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0810

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0811

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0812

Again, this is only a mock-up! For the real thing I'll add more variation between the bikes with holes in the blades, different blade designs, the obligatory skulls and chains, blah blah. Everything will be green stuffed and smoothened, don't worry.
I only need to know if this kind of conversion would work.

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07 2011, 09:14

Honestly I would NOT change model size too much, since someone may consider that "modelling for advantage".

I would try to either "sculpt" blades on front
Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Blade_10
or "just" take sandpaper and sharpen front with it (first with low grain, then fine one).

same with back blades
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07 2011, 09:17

I think it works quite well. Once its finished, it will look excellent. It complements the existing look of the bike nicely, but makes it just that bit different.

I say, "Moar!".

You can also make them more bladey by adding the blades from the underside of a Raider onto the side edge of the front canopy, like canards on a jet fighter.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07 2011, 11:50

I love it! It looks like you could really carve up infantry with those massive blades. Driving a wedge into a unit of Guardsmen or 'nids like cavalry - FLYING cavalry with massive knives on their horses' faces!

Raucir
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07 2011, 20:01

I think it would be a good alternate way to represent cluster caltrops. They look like they could do the extra damage compared to the standard bikes.

I don't see many complaining about modeling for advantage.
A) they look cool, and fit fluff
B)They don't stick out any more then the ones on back of bike, so they don't block los any more, if they were vertical instead then they might have a complaint.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07 2011, 20:37

I personally dont like it, but I think the Jetbike is "blady" enough already.

As being said fluff wise I doubt a jetbike would get so low as to cut them with the fusalage, as all it would take is one snag and pop, you will get thrown off your bike going mach 3. I actually see them diving down, and then pulling up at the right moment to hit them with the back blades, or just to turn sideways and travel down the entire squad if they get the chance, but then again this isnt real life, its 40k. So anything is possible Razz
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08 2011, 01:46

Hmm, I actually like Orks idea as well. I'll try both on spare fuselages (so that's how you call them!) and show you my results later.
Back to top Go down
Vincenzo
Slave
Vincenzo

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08 2011, 07:24

For my Arena Champions I just clipped and added a few of the extra blades you get from the Raider kit. I will post up some pics in a project log in a few days. But they just need to be clipped down a bit then glued just underneath the body of the bike. The results are really good and definately gives the bike a more unique look compared to the others.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 08 2011, 15:25

I half to admit it looks to "orky" for my taste.

Its a very interesting idea, but I feel it misses the elegance of DE weaponry and design.

My thoughts are the extra blade vanes you have with the bikes and raiders would good bitz to use, almost as like the skis from a snowmobile.

my 2 cents

Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09 2011, 07:42

So, I've build my first batch of 6 Reaver Jetbikes. What can I say, I have stabbed myself so freaking often with those buggers, I think they are quite 'bladey' enough, haha. Very Happy

No, really, I've added weighted flails and chains to every bike except for both of the Cluster Caltrop bikes, as well as some blades underneath the canopies, as suggested by you guys. I like it very much! I think I might leave it like this and only add the massive blades to my Arena Champion I'll add with the next batch. I just can't think of those bikers wielding cc weapons, so the huge blades will represent an Agonizer, with the Champion being skilled enough to just fly right through his enemy. Razz

I took some pictures of the as of now finished jetbikes. The only thing I can see myself still doing is to add the more elegant blades Local_Ork suggested; we'll see.

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0813

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0814

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0815

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0816

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0817

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0818

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0819

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0820

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0821

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. Img_0822

Okay, sorry for the many low quality pictures, but bear with me.
One thing I'm still unsure of is the three chains with those pointy flail thingies from the Chaos Manticore rider. They look kind of cool, but am I the only one who thinks they look too straight to be really loosely hanging?

Anyway, thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09 2011, 08:23

Kinnay wrote:
I think I might leave it like this and only add the massive blades to my Arena Champion I'll add with the next batch. I just can't think of those bikers wielding cc weapons, so the huge blades will represent an Agonizer, with the Champion being skilled enough to just fly right through his enemy. Razz

The others look fine, even the weighted flails from the Manticore set, but this is the one I want to see. The draft design reminded me of the ships from Wipeout - I really want them to work!

Raucir
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09 2011, 14:37

I like it!
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09 2011, 15:00

Flails looks ok, note they are heavier that hooks AND have thicker chain. You can't beat gravity!

Ok, in 40K world You can. But they still look good.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09 2011, 15:51

That's why I changed the angle of the flails so they appear heavier. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.   Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making Reaver Jetbikes more 'blady'.
Page 1 of 1