THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Fortifications

Go down 
+9
dumpeal
Jimsolo
Brom
Count Adhemar
Sigmaril
RCZ
CptMetal
Klaivex Charondyr
iknowinewb
13 posters
AuthorMessage
iknowinewb
Hellion
iknowinewb

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 13:48

Seeing that most of us here use CAD for our armies most of the time and (some of us) have something against bringing any form of allies, I thought that fortifications would be a perfect middle ground.
Now I do know a guy who would be more than willing to lend me his SA supplement and some fortifications to play with but I would first like to get some recommendations on what to use for DE or test out stuff.
So...
for a 1100pts game, what fortifications would you bring if you had the choice? (1 CAD)
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 13:56

For that amount of points actually none.
The cheaper and effective version is considered "cheese" by some people (Void shield network) as it is a very powerful addition and makes your army basically immune to S5 shooting till the network is down.

The other one is the Landing Pad which can prove a valuable firebase for your units.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 13:57

I´d only take an ADL with com or flakk cannon. Maybe put some mandrakes in it and deep strike the rest. Of course only when the enemy isn´t heavy on ignore cover.

Landing pads or void shields seem fine too, but sadly I neither have the rules, nor the models.
Back to top Go down
RCZ
Kabalite Warrior
RCZ

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 13:59

landing pad with a jeffighter over it. Trololololol.
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite
Sigmaril

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 14:03

What I have experience with using:

Bastion with Comms Relay: This I often bring along if I feel a need for reserves manipulation. it's excellent for a unit of long-range shooters to stay in relative safety, and it can hold an objective in your own deployment zone.

Aegis Defence Line: Not tall enough to provide cover for our vehicles, so borderline useless, imo.

Landing Pad: Quite nice for massive amounts of raiders or venoms to use as a base, without having to Jink.

Void Shield Generator: Absolutely horrible for a Venom-based army. As soon as the opponent start closing in, you have to evacuate or get destroyed in assault, and then suddenly it's yourself trying to penetrate your own shields.... with poison. Good luck with that!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 14:06

It really depends what you're looking to achieve with a fortification. Do you want protection for your troops? Do you want reserve manipulation? Do you want extra firepower? Extra (well, any!) AA?
Back to top Go down
iknowinewb
Hellion
iknowinewb

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 14:23

Count Adhemar wrote:
It really depends what you're looking to achieve with a fortification. Do you want protection for your troops? Do you want reserve manipulation? Do you want extra firepower? Extra (well, any!) AA?

I am actually thinking of doing something like an imperial bastion with a 10 man kabalite squad sitting in it just to draw fire away from my other things. (I overupgrade my hq for wallet reasons).

On a second note, anything to create more impassable terrain for my opponent is a gain to me since i tend to prioritize on utilizing our army's speed and precision to fight superior lists.
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27 2015, 15:42

I've used many different types for various other armies I own but IMO most aren't much good for our army. Void shields I don't consider cheese more rock/paper/scissors but simply not good for us.

For dark eldar I would definitely consider a wam bunker with comms in you have more than 1 unit of in reserve. For me thats around the threshold where I start considering anyway.

Likewise you could then also add an escape hatch to deliver any contents you had occupying the structure, although the building itself is a scoring model able to activate the comms on its own so its really what guns or cc you want to deliver. You play pure GKs for awhile you get real savvy at stuff like this lol.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28 2015, 00:35

When fortifications were first introduced, (6th?) I ran a Fortress of Redemption with my Dark Eldar. 30-pt Wrack troops could crew the guns, the Skimmers could use it as cover so they didnt get blown to pieces before the game even started, it was good times all around.

Nowadays, not so much. I have an Aegis line and a Fortess of Redemption (that I'm slowly converting to be more Commorragh-y) but I don't know what to use them for anymore.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28 2015, 02:10

deep-striked fortress of redemption!!

I don't have the stats of the fortifications, but I thought about using a fortification to have some AA weaponry.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28 2015, 05:35

The imperial bunker with a single void shield, plus an AA weapon or an escape hatch is always useful!
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
tibersky
Hellion
tibersky

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 03:25

Deep strike an imperial bunker or a bastion. Or the really big 500 point thing with 2 giant cannons on it. And bring a detachment of harlies to praise the laughing God as you deep strike two D weapons with objective secure into your opponents face.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 04:11

Alas, around 75% of people don't think the correct interpretation of the rules allow for us Deep Striking forts. Even if that is the RAW, it seems unlikely you'll get it to fly in most games, and almost assuredly not in most competitive events.
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 05:48

There's some good ideas here already! One thing I'd like to try is an ADL or Bunker with Lance Scourges behind it - though thinking about it the cover save might not be enough to protect them really. MaBe a bunker?

I like the Mandrake idea!
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 05:54

If you want to maximize it, you need as much automated guns as possible. Does anybody know a fortification with several quad guns?
Back to top Go down
BlackCadian
Kabalite Warrior
BlackCadian

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 13:16

The Vengeance Weapon Battery has the option for a Quad Icarus Lascannon, and you can buy two in one fortification slot.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 14:34

but the problem with the vengeance is that its easy to manipulate the automated fire rule. The firestorm redoubt is better in that regard as you can always target flyers
Back to top Go down
http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 29 2015, 16:21

The fortress of redemption can have up to six guns, can shield a firing unit, and has extensive battlements which, if protected by void shield upgrades, can provide a great way to protect your starting forces, especially those that can get off the battlements with no worries, like Reavers, Venoms, Ravagers, and Scourges.
Back to top Go down
lelith
Sybarite
lelith

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31 2015, 17:24

From my experiences,

- ADL is not so impressive for me. There are too many Ignores Cover in my meta.

- Imperial Bunker is awesome, on the other hand, by providing 14 armor for one unit and BLOS for the other. I personally put 4 DL scourges in the bunker with Comms Relay.

- I have one Plasma Obliterator and keep trying to use it, but cannot find a decent way to use with DE so far. I feel the bunker is superior to the obliterator for DE due to Comms Relay - my DE really needs a reserve manipulation. Though, this fortification works very well with my other factions (CWE & Slaanesh Daemons, but not sure of Harlequins).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fortifications Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fortifications   Fortifications I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fortifications
Page 1 of 1