THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Potential Corsair Update

Go down 
+12
Count Adhemar
Tengu
The Shredder
Rathian
Brom
lament.config
PriorofDeath
Jimsolo
aurynn
chickendinner
CptMetal
stilgar27
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21 2015, 23:21

The Shredder wrote:
Ninjas are only cool if they aren't also turtles.

Turtle ninjas need to be exterminated. Preferably with fire.

...and that's when the entire forum started trolling me.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22 2015, 21:55

Yup.

When ever I see a TMNT I get a mental image of....

...(But I wont say that here)

Are Science Ninja Ok?

(Says she who has little time for the Army of Shadows even if they are in a Stephen Turnbull book...)
Back to top Go down
Rathian
Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22 2015, 22:27

Science is fun cheers slight segue but I love how in the Grimdark, the humans pray to their tech, Orks hit it with a hammer and the Craftworlders sing to it. Us? Just design something fiendish then get slaves to make it. Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
lament.config
Sybarite
lament.config

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23 2015, 01:19

Jetpack troops sound fun. If their HQs can do something unique or just have a great gear selection I'd look to pick up a few models. I doubt they will be any stronger than adding in farseers, scat bikes and a wraithknight as far as allies go. Might bring less QQ from an opponent too.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23 2015, 10:16

Well, if their HQs can take a step without collapsing into putty, they're already ahead of DE ones.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 00:02

Wow - some updated IA11 leaks today.  These are actually from pictures though.  Prepare for a wall of text.

Corsairs are going to be on par with craftworlders, perhaps even more effective on paper, but suffer from some serious leadership issues.  Basically they have a separate, lower leadership (typically -3) they will have to use when trying to regroup.  This combined with their pretty much unmatched mobility will lead to lots of models fleeing off the table if things go badly.

They'll also have a better version of battle focus, which is a flat 6" (d6+6" for faster units) and should stack with the various jetbike/jetpack assault moves giving them insane mobility.  The big catch here is that it will only work with an enemy within 12".

They have a couple "new" weapons too, in the tanglefoot grenades which can reduce an enemy's WS and initiative if they fail a strength test, and the dissonance guns, which are basically tiny vibro cannons.  Each shot is strength 5 ap 4 and pinning, but improves +1 strength and -1 ap per additional hit.

O ya corsairs are also get a drug chart better than the dark eldar one, while one of the warlord types can roll twice and apply both  Mad  Because?

Corsair characters all appear to come with 2 pistols base (supposedly they can choose to fire them as either shuriken or splinter pistols), meaning they'll benefit from both the gunslinger rule and 2 CC weapons unless you swap one out.  They also seem to have access to all the eldar pistols.  This is both awesomely fluffy and awesomely piratical.

Prince is significantly cheaper, lends his leadership in a 12" bubble, and can take relics from all 3 books (although we don't know how many total yet).
Baron = 30 point hq, with the option to become a psyker.  He's NOT an IC, but I'm not sure if the means he stands alone or he needs a bodyguard.  Can take gear similar to our archon including shadowfields.

Corsair HQ (except maybe the baron) can take jetbikes, they can all also take at least one psyker level.
Psyker powers mostly have to do with mobility and reserves.  There is even one that puts an enemy unit into ongoing reserve.
Corsairs have their own perils table and it kind of sucks, badly.

Corsairs (now called reavers) get defensive grenades as well as plasma, and it's been confirmed that jetpacks give a 4+ save.  Alternatively they can take void armor for a 3+ with reroll on terrain tests, but lose fleet (but they'll be in a venom so nbd).
GhostWalkers: corsair scouts that come with lasblasters, but can upgrade to sniper rifles, special weapons (1 in 5), and haywire grenades.
Marauder Band: Elite unit falling somewhere between a wrack and a grotesque (2 wounds, FNP, rampage, rage, furious charge)... but with grenades, venom blades(1 in 5), jet packs (meaning 4+ armor), power weapons(1 in 5), and melta bombs.  Oh and 2 pistols base.  Their downside is that they un-nerve other corsairs, and models in close proximity suffer -1 LD.
Cloud dancers:  Jetbikes which are pretty much guardian bikes but with a wider weapon list.  Additions include splinter cannon for 5 points (bye bye venoms), dark lances for 20, and something that acts like a scaled down vibro cannon for 10.  Even more interestingly they can take haywire grenades at 25 points per unit.
Wasp Walkers gained d6+1 hammer of wrath attacks on a jetpack charge, also gained open top, which is somewhat mitigated by the kinetic field.

Holofields are unchanged.  Warp hunter weapons become strength D -1 like the wraithguard, and can be squadroned in groups of 3.  Phoenix and lynx got cheaper, lynx got better front/side armor and can zoom - but only snap shot and can't jink while zooming.  The firestorm gets rending and ignore cover versus flyers and skimmers (which is the only thing you're shooting at anyway).  

The nightwing interceptor costs about what a stormtalon does and gained agile and stealth, meaning 2++ jink.

Some original rumors were incorrect though.  The kinetic field does not work at all in close combat.  Instead it gets the 4++ with re-roll while deep striking, moving flat out or after a jetpack move.  Hornet appears unchanged from the IA11 FAQ... meaning probably still the most broken vehicle in the game.  So ya, Bring 9.

Last edited by stilgar27 on Tue Oct 20 2015, 00:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 00:26

I'd be surprised if marauder bands were more than toughness 3. Still really cool though.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 01:13

I can't imagine marauders would be more than T3, although I haven't seen the entry itself yet.  Still, between the armor, mobility, weapons, and USRs those things look pretty impressive.

Some guy on /tg/ just dumped the warlord options.  I can't guarantee it's reliable (it is 4chan) but this was the stuff I was hoping for from FW, and I honestly don't really see any reason to make it up at this point.  The book is known to be in a number of people's hands anyway.

Here goes - Corsair Princes may take one of the following paths at no cost:

A) Seeker of Forbidden Pleasures (aka The Drug Lord) - The Corsair Prince gains the Corsair Combat Drugs special rule and any (non-vehicle) unit in the same detachment may take Corsair Combat Drugs for 15 points.

Corsair Combat Drugs
1) +1A
2) +1S
3) +1I
4) +1T
5) +1 WS
6) Roll for two seperate additional drugs

B) Traveler of Forgotten Paths - The Prince gets a Multi-phase key generator and any other character in the detachment may carry one as well.  This generator allows the model to Deep Strike, and in addition it may be activated instead of shooting to open up a webway gate within 3" of the model. Reserves units (but not vehicles) may then enter through this gate. If a friendly unit is falling back within 3" of a gate, it may use it to enter ongoing reserves.

C) Collector of Ancient Treasures - This ability allows the prince to take a relic from the Craftworld, Dark Eldar, or Harlequins army lists.  Additionally, any character in this detachment may upgrade a weapon to be master crafted for +10 points.

D) Reaper of the Outer Dark - This Prince gets Rampage and any unit in the detachment can take rage as a free upgrade. However, whenever one of these upgraded units is within 8" of an enemy they must charge. If they killed a unit with shooting and have another enemy within 8" they may (and in fact must) charge that enemy unit.

E) Wielder of Profane Powers - This Prince gains +1 psychic master level, but must pick at least one Maelefic Demonology power.  Any other psykers in the detachment also gain access to Demonology.  

F) Survivor of Endless Darkness - An ancient survivor of the fall, this warlord gains it will not die to represent his longevity.  If he fails an it will not die roll however he is pinned for that turn.  Other units in this detachment may upgrade to the Feel No Pain rule for 10 points.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Hekatrix
colinsherlow

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 02:02

My dark Eldar are already pirate like and will gladly add corsairs to my army. I already own a bunch of corsair stuff so it's an easy change for me.

I will definitely be using corsairs for fun and events that allow them. I will probably paint them as a colour mix between my dark Eldar and Eldar. With appropriate convention of course
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 04:21

a.) Yes
b.) Yes
c.) Yes, but probably not mono. At the very least I will be running a Corsair Fleet Raiding Company and a Realspace Raider Detachment together, and If I can find the points a CWE CAD to WWP wraithguard.

To be perfectly frank I've been viewing my army as a corsair band since I started building them, my only concern at this point is that since the Blade Sworn Retinue is gone I'm going to have to hand swap my power axes off of the 4 jetpack guys I made with them :/
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 05:10

Their upgrade characters will also have access to Venom blades.

It sounds like I will be able to make a reasonable Duke Sliscus analog with these rules.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 09:55

I miss the Duke's super venom blade (AP2 on 5s to-wound). Really wish they'd made it an option for regular HQs - or even a cheap artefact.

Also, when this book is released, I don't think I'm ever using DE HQs again (aside from the Court of the Archon). If I want a character HQ, I'll take a corsair detachment.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 13:04

I think it's weird that corsairs will have more access to venom blades than the Dark Eldar.

It gives me hope that we might be in the barrel for a new codex.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 14:01

Jimsolo wrote:
I think it's weird that corsairs will have more access to venom blades than the Dark Eldar.

But, at 10pts apiece, do you think they'll see much use?
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 14:14

Quote :

I'd rather bet that we get the CSM treatment.

"Don't bother with a new Codex, FW got it covered"
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 15:15

Klaivex Charondyr wrote:
Quote :

I'd rather bet that we get the CSM treatment.

"Don't bother with a new Codex, FW got it covered"

To be honest that was what got me excited.  I am (or was) a CSM player and gave up on them for the most part until forgeworld got a hold of the traitor guard, and in my opinion, did a wonderful job with that.  Admittedly, I still only get to use some of the units from my CSM army, but how many noise marine units or defilers do you really need?

This book (to me) is similarly shaping up to be everything GW failed to do with the dark eldar codex.  They're unbelievably fast and have serious, versatile firepower (like we are supposed to); as well as more effective and accessible combat drugs.  The one dedicated melee unit in the book has all the benefits of PFP on turn 1 along with tons of options, and corsairs should be back to having some of the best flyers and skimmers on the table (again) including 2 different D blast flinging tanks, while at the same time having an effective surface to air vehicle in the firestorm.

The emerging opinion I'm seeing (and agreeing with) is that this list basically should have been our book, and the covens should have been split off into their own faction like harlequins (which they kind of were anyway).

Side note - Finished converting some splinter cannon jetbikes already, now I just have to decide if I'm keeping my grotesquerie or corpse thief claw.  Over the years I've been kit-bashing guardians, kabalites, and wood elves together anyway - so there isn't much work to do there except on the jetpacks and that's just a forgeworld guardian upgrade.  Finding left handed pistols for marauders/hq/etc may prove to be an issue.

Last edited by stilgar27 on Tue Oct 20 2015, 15:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo'd)
Back to top Go down
Arhashya
Slave
Arhashya

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 15:48

Playing a FW army once more does not sound too bad. Not saying I do not enjoy my GW lists:P

And the rumors that are going around these days about the new IA11 do sound really exciting!
Back to top Go down
Rathian
Kabalite Warrior
Rathian

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2015, 19:11

I AM SO FRICKIN EXCITED BY THIS

*ahem*

Sorry. got a bit carried away there everybody. My Corsair army, Ryven's Reavers, will definitely get some love... I use Guardian and Kabalite bodies/gear as a mashup so this should fit. Love it.

Although.... the BoLS piece does say "Dark Eldar need a new codex" in with the info on Corsairs. It's even more obvious now.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23 2015, 04:09

I have 10 Guardian bodies, a Prince Yriel, that I'm refraining from putting the banner pack on, as I think I want to give him a Jetpack, and I'm going to run my Wyches as non-jetpack corsairs.

I also have assorted weapons, and the Corsair conversion kit.
I want to assemble my jetpack corsairs with the least amount of potential limb swaps possible.

What would be things to build with what I have?
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25 2015, 02:56

Well obviously you'd be able to make 10 corsairs with jetpacks and if you cared to swap the weapons, lasblasters.  2 Units of 5 would fill your troop requirements in a simple CAD, along with your prince as the HQ.

Weapon loadouts are going to be hotly debated with this army...but if you're specifically trying not to modify things, reaver bands can be fielded with the shuriken catapults your guardians normally come with.

If you have transports the foot wyches work, especially if you can swap their knives for off-hand pistols or simply slap a holsters to their left leg.  Alternatively you could set them up as stationary devastator types (balestrike band) if you had enough heavy weapons.  Despite the usual mobility of eldar this would work pretty well with a fortification like a bastion. You could always add jetpacks to them later.

Another option of course is to make your own jet packs for them.  I went through quite a few ideas before I remembered that warp-spider generators are also jet packs and are simple enough to press mold...  I'll let you know how that experiment turns out when I get around to it.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25 2015, 19:47

More like: I don't want to have to modify things more than once since cutting up resin is rather unforgiving. I also have 2 wasp assault walkers, and 2 units of windriders That I'm going to turn into Corsairs. I'm more asking if people think that Lasblasters will be the way to go on a jetpack platform, or if I'll probably be better off saving my jetpacks for something more violent. Also I only have 9 Jetpacks since I'm pretty adamant that I'll be giving my prince 1.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25 2015, 19:58

Well I can't give you a 100% answer as I've yet to see actual reaver bands entry, unlike most of the other units.

IF the reaver bands all get a "brace of pistols", as most of the leaks indicate, then there is literally no reason to take a shuriken catapult as 2 shuriken pistols are identical (better actually as they grant +1 attack in cc).

So it comes down to las blasters and splinter rifles.  IF the lasblasters are updated to the eldar standard assault 3, then they beat splinter rifles vs GEQ and match them on MEQ (within 12").  Splinter rifles overtake lasblasters in wounds per weapon only against toughness 5, so bikers basically.

Then you have to figure in that lasblasters are both assault weapons (meaning you could charge after firing even if you didn't have a jetpack), and will get you (2 or) 3 shots at 24" instead of 1.  The corsair special rules will reward you for being within 12" of an enemy anyway, but that's going to come down to personal play style.

Personally - I'm going with lasblasters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potential Corsair Update   Potential Corsair Update - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potential Corsair Update
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2