THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

cheap beasts

Go down 
+5
Count Adhemar
Squidmaster
Klaivex Charondyr
Nyx_Necrodragon
CptMetal
9 posters
AuthorMessage
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12 2015, 22:11

Do you think it would be possible to use dark elf Cavalry as Khymera beasts? And add a rider as beasts master? If so, how would you do it?
Back to top Go down
Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior
Nyx_Necrodragon

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12 2015, 22:21

Dark elves ride horses or cold ones so it depends which you want to use as a base. Cold ones are slightly easier to do because the legs of the riders aren't sculpted onto the mount so you can literally take the legs of your cold one knights add body head and arms for your beastmaster onto that and voila you've got a rider.
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
Klaivex Charondyr

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12 2015, 22:54

Got myself Chaos Hounds and Hormagaunt bits

cheap beasts  Khymyr10
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13 2015, 10:12

Personally I would use Cold Ones rather than horses.
I can see a decent Beastmaster as a rider like that, on a horse alongside Cold One Khymerae.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13 2015, 11:03

I used Cold One Knights as my Beastmasters, replacing the riders with bits kitbashed from Wyches and Hellions.

cheap beasts  P1000454
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 13 2015, 13:22

Was talking about cold ones, sorry.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17 2015, 00:14

I don't actually know that you would have to modify cold ones to be kymarea as the fluff indicates that there isn't any specific way they manifest.  They can pretty much look like anything.  The only specific description I can find is from the 5th edition codex and reads "long-fanged, many-eyed, and sinewy".  So... extra eyes?

If non-GW models are acceptable, I've used Tamiya Velociraptors models for both mounts and counts-as kymarea.  They're the right size, have comparable (if not better) detail than GW's, and are varied enough to keep it interesting (with modular limbs).  They also have the huge advantage of costing less than $2 a piece from most outlets ($10 for 6).

They're also really birdlike and spindly so a meatier model (like actual GW cold ones) looks like an alpha or a predator driving them forward.  The guys on their backs with whips help with this image.

cheap beasts  Velo2

Edit: picture added for contrast, but you can't really see the detail on the raptor

Last edited by stilgar27 on Sat Oct 17 2015, 00:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : picture added)
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17 2015, 05:05

There is detail? It's looking.... blank.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17 2015, 05:25

That was one of the first pictures I pulled up from google and it was a direct comparison to a cold one so I used it.  This one shows the detail a bit better.  It's fine so it's difficult to see in most pictures, and that khaki color doesn't help.

cheap beasts  Tamiya_velociraptor01

cheap beasts  10_Velociraptor_0333
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24 2015, 20:04

I'm planing on buying a box of Forest Goblin Spider Riders. One spider is to be converted into a "mount" for a Haemonculus, the other nine will probably be used as Khymerae.
Why wouldn't Dark Eldar have nightmares of giant spiders too? Wink

Those raptors look very nice, by the way. I think some kind of conversion should be done to them though. They look a bit too... normal, for the 40k universe.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite
stilgar27

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24 2015, 21:00

Rokuro wrote:
I'm planing on buying a box of Forest Goblin Spider Riders. One spider is to be converted into a "mount" for a Haemonculus, the other nine will probably be used as Khymerae.
Why wouldn't Dark Eldar have nightmares of giant spiders too? Wink

Get a close look at the spider riders before you buy any.  I bought a bunch from one of the fantasy box sets on ebay to make half-spider, half-wych jetbikes but when they came I was so dissapointed in the sculpts I decided against it.

These weren't even complete at the bottom, just a flat surface with a hollow cavity where they meet the base.  Totally screwed up my idea to suspend them from guitar string or have them mid-leap on an transparent rod.  There abdomens also aren't complete, just a flat section with a hole for the rider to plug in to.  I ended up using them as weapons platforms for my exodite guardians, which worked a bit better.

Edit: The spiders also don't fit on 40mm bases (which kymerae now use) just so you know, their limbs hang off the front and back.

Rokuro wrote:
Those raptors look very nice, by the way. I think some kind of conversion should be done to them though. They look a bit too... normal, for the 40k universe.

They're too "real" for the 40k universe but I like them anyway, and enjoyed painting them so I did use them a lot when huge beast packs were useful.  They really fit my exodite force well, which was all dragons and dinos.  Since 7th edition I rarely take beasts, and never in the quantities I used to.

Last edited by stilgar27 on Sun Oct 25 2015, 01:07; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25 2015, 09:15

stilgar27 wrote:
Get a close look at the spider riders before you buy any.  I bought a bunch from one of the fantasy box sets on ebay to make half-spider, half-wych jetbikes but when they came I was so dissapointed in the sculpts I decided against it.

These weren't even complete at the bottom, just a flat surface with a hollow cavity where they meet the base.  Totally screwed up my idea to suspend them from guitar string or have them mid-leap on an transparent rod.  There abdomens also aren't complete, just a flat section with a hole for the rider to plug in to.  I ended up using them as weapons platforms for my exodite guardians, which worked a bit better.

Edit: The spiders also don't fit on 40mm bases (which kymerae now use) just so you know, their limbs hang off the front and back.

Thanks for telling me. Looks like I'll need to do some sculpting. Neutral
But considering what I have in mind for the Haemonculus, I might as well convert the other spiders with some leftover Talos parts while I'm on it.
As for the bases; I was planing on using 40k bike/cavalry bases anyway.
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06 2015, 14:33

Vampire Counts Dire Wolves look pretty much exactly like Khymerae when painted correctly. Just add some spare nid bits. They have the bare skulls and the muscle showing.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych
Creeping Darkness

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09 2015, 02:18

On a related note, I've been thinking of picking up some of these to use the stags as Clawed Fiends - if the size is close, enough, that is -

cheap beasts  99120204009_WildRiders02

Horned Fiends instead of Clawed Fiends!

I suppose if they are too small I could use them as Khymerae instead.
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

cheap beasts  Empty
PostSubject: Re: cheap beasts    cheap beasts  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cheap beasts
Page 1 of 1