THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Belated Greetings!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rewind
Kabalite Warrior
Rewind

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 10:23

Hi guys,

Just realised that although I've posted a few times & have been lurking around the site for ages, I've never actually introduced myself!

I'm a 35yr old geek/gamer, who should know better, does know better, but does it anyway!

I 1st got into the hobby back in 1995-ish when I started collecting Necromunda (Had a crush on the Escher Juve lol), which slowly led to a High Elf army, an Eldar Epic 40k army & an Eldar army. I only ever play 'munda the rest was purely as I liked the models & enjoyed painting them.

In recent years I've picked up a few Tau & Necron models as well as having about 1500pts worth of SM's.

As my eldest son (12) is starting to get into the hobby, I thought it might be about time I actually gave it a go as my local town has a LGS & an Indi. shop there is a pretty good local gaming scene.

Why DE? Like most I guess, I loved the look of the models & the fluff/theme, but it was only after I'd invested too much money to stop, that I realised just how broken the Codex was & how unloved the race is by GW.

However I'm still hopeful for a Codex update this year, I'm just not sure they will be able to 'fix' DE. I think we were a great concept race, but the whole point of a poison toting, ambushing, sneaky 'space-raiders' army, doesn't really fit into the whole table top scene IMO. It's hardly a lightning raid from the web-way, if the enemy commander knows roughly where & when you will deploy & has your army list lols! DE would just never be in a pitched battle against an enemy force of similar strength, they know they would lose!

Thanks to Betray for pointing out my noob list building mistakes & for some great advice, hope I get to meet a few more members in time.

Rewind
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 13:28

Excellent points about how DE fluff and game play are worlds apart. Bring back assault from reserve I say but remember, death by a thousand cuts is still a viable "tactic"

Kabalite Warrior
Rewind

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 17:16

Death by a thousand cuts sounds about right, just a shame that so many other races can just rely on Instant Death Smile
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 17:58

Welcome to The Dark City. Wink
Back to top Go down
Welkren Wanderlust
Slave
Welkren Wanderlust

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 18:16

Greetings Smile just started myself, the more I look at the list the more i feel like our biggest strength is our troops choice. 135 pts for a 5-man kabalite unit with a blaster & haywire grenade in venom is really strong in ITC (what my local scene plays). 12-20 poison shots, 2 anti-armor shots and the ability to move fast to contest objectives and deny points is incredibly versatile. It feels like Our biggest weakness is our mandatory HQ since they're so pricey and fragile CC soldiers, but being able to take a lamian to fill the tax and set them on your infield objective is another tactical perk (also, that person can man a comms relay or a quad gun. woot). I really like how techy and versatile the unit entries are, have about 15 list WIP's in battlescribe.

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 19:36

While I like the Blaster (others don't), I'm not sold on the Haywire grenade except against guard because I'm not afraid to get close to them.

Kabalite Warrior
Rewind

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 21:36

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome!!

My collection continues to grow & I hope to put the theory into practice soon, I must admit to still not owning a 'finished' model yet tho Sad

I have only glued a few bits of each model together, to make the core 'shell', but can't bring myself to glue anything that will mean I won't be able to paint a hard to reach area!

I can't seem to find the time to start painting yet though & without an army I can't play, sigh.

Life > DE at the moment for sure, but it's my daily visits here to The Dark City that keeps the itch scratched, for now.

Only real problem seems to be everytime I learn something new (alot of the time) I realise I want more models & a different themed list.

Sometimes I can hear GW laughing menacingly in the background, rubbing their hands together, planning their next bonuses & holidays Sad
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 22:29

I hear the whole life > DE thing; I have two kids under 4, commute 3 hrs a day (round trip) and work in a fairly busy job so finding time to paint can be a real challenge. There are tricks tho; I have a desk job in a small office, so can spend my lunch adding Undercoat layers to models, or I try and make time at home....usually first thing on the weekends before everyone else is awake and get a bit done that way.

To the point of learning new; wanting more - I'd agree to settle or a build/playstyle/tactic and stay.with it until you can.get a few games under your belt, but when a new idea pops up, make a note of it somewhere. My android has got thousands of "notes" where I have thought of ideas, tricks and builds that I would like to try, but still sticking to an initial idea always helps. Also, what I find helps is that when you play, think about units that you are comparing and imagine how unit B would function vs how unit A is currently doing in your battle.

Kabalite Warrior
Rewind

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitimeThu May 26 2016, 23:59

Sounds like sage advice my friend, thank you.

My kids will be 13 & 9 this year, eldest is the reason I'm getting into playing.

Previously, he just used my old Space Marines as 'toy soldiers' Smile

List wise, I find myself in the semi-pleasant position of since I know I'm gonna lose & I'll be the new guy in the store & I'm a noob, I can run fluffy lists & not care.

If I purely follow the sound advice of BetrayTheWorld, I'll give myself maybe the best fighting chance at victory, but would immediately get labled as 'that guy'.

So, new guy, what's your 1st ever 500 look like? How did u paint your Archon?

Noob who is 'that guy's list 499pts Smile

Lhamean
5 x Warriors, Venom
8 x Warriors, incl. Sybarite (HQ) Lance Raider
2 x Trip. Lance Ravagers

Before I came to this site, my list would have been so different lols Smile

I bought an Archon, 2 x Venoms, 2 x Reavers & 1 x Hellions to make a kinda fluff display army, I can't even field the advice I got here Smile

OR, is that the only competetive way to run DE & will everything else lose, once I move up out of noob town, into the leafy suburban rookie streets?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Belated Greetings! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Belated Greetings!   Belated Greetings! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Belated Greetings!
Page 1 of 1