THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tips for BLOOD!

Go down 
+6
Archon Zarkalus
Lady Malys
Local_Ork
Hydra
Thor665
Foo
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10 2011, 04:06

Any tips for getting semi-realistic blood spatter? It just doesn't feel right for my Wracks to be walking around in clean clothes!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10 2011, 04:40

You've definitely got to hit Sorrowshard up on this one.

My method is Red Gore -> highlight with Blood Red -> give a touch of Red Ink if I want it to look fresh and shiny. For older blood I use a brown base with Red Gore highlights and avoid the Ink.

Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10 2011, 10:27

There is a Colour from tamiah (Spelling?) which is quite glossy and mixed with some brown or black it turns into the most realistic blood i have seen sofar...

Hive Fleet Hydra

Kabal of the Poisoned Fang
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10 2011, 10:33

Tips for BLOOD! Protoshoggoth
Code:
1. Prime grey
2. Basecoat entire model with Tamiya Clear Red
3. Dip the model with Army Painter Strong Tone
4. Apply a second coat with Tamiya Clear Red
5. Paint all the eyes and the teeth
6. Apply a coat of clear gloss varnish
7. Apply the gore threads with UHU glue +Tamiya Clear Red + a drop of purple ink

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-how-to-paint-blood.html
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/10/tutorial-making-ugly-strings-and-stuff.html

I guess TCR is way to go...

[edit]
Oh yes Hydra.
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11 2011, 01:05

That's horrifying and wonderful and I thank you.

I did something similar with Mecrite Red, Blood Red and then a blue wash to chunk it up. I'm going to coat it with glossy varnish once I've finished and sealed the models.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Lady Malys

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30 2011, 02:35

I have used glass paint to good effect. It's thick and you need to clean your brushes in some kind of solvent, but you can also use the point of a needle to let tiny drops fall and they look very much like fresh blood. I've also let them run down blades, etc. as it has a nice viscosity. Old blood looks more matt and brown, so I wouldn't use it for that.

Back to top Go down
Archon Zarkalus
Hellion
Archon Zarkalus

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06 2011, 10:55

I am a big fan of Tamiya Clear Red myself. I use it for blood effects and also for red gemstones.

It is has a high-gloss finish with a nice fresh blood look. For older looking blood... you can add a drop of Ogyrn Flesh to darken it up a little. Blood usually darkens as it ages and then starts to break down....into cells and plasma. Once blood settles in a body, lividity sets in and then the blood forms a blue-ish purple coloration on the skin.

When I paint blood.. I use Red Gore, with a dry-brush of Blood Red and then use Tamiya Clear Red to finish it off.

<edited for spelling>
Back to top Go down
Candice Heart-Reaper
Hellion
Candice Heart-Reaper

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 08:55

Local_Ork: That thing is horrifying. tongue

(For fresh blood I use a mix of Baal Red, Devlan Mud, Red Gore, and Gloss Varnish.)

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 13:34

The look of blood depends on how thick it is. Real blood is somewhat semi transparent.

For most things, being covered in blood means having some areas darker than other to represent the semi transparent look of blood.

If you want your wracks to be covered in blood, the you could go with Tamiya clear red, or make up a glaze of red using red gore and a mixing medium or water.

My initial thoughts are for fresh blood, paint the area you ewant to be blood covered in a neutral grey, then use a purple and dark blue mix, liche purple & necron abyss, and paint in your shades first, then using white or preferable a very soft yellow like skull white and sunburst yellow mixed 50-50 to do your highlights. Next in multiple thin layers, buikd up the red over your shade and highlight and stop when it looks right. Your not going for full coverage, but you want to red to become more pronounced with each layer till you get the look you want.

For dried blood, do the same thing, but instead of grey as a base, use bestial brown so it darkens it more and looks dried.

Tips for BLOOD! Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07 2011, 20:44

Thanks for all the tips, folks.

I ended up going with a mix of mecrite and the red GW wash, with swirls of blue wash in it for gory, dried bits, and some blood red added here and there for brightness. Mixed in with that is a bit of glossy varnish, to add some transparency.

It looks pretty good and spatters fairly well. When it dries, I put a coat of gloss on top to make it shine.

These images are a bit dark, but you can sorta see how it looks.
Tips for BLOOD! Th_2011-10-18_09-12-08_812_TorontoTips for BLOOD! Th_2011-10-18_09-12-32_407_Toronto
Back to top Go down
Candice Heart-Reaper
Hellion
Candice Heart-Reaper

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08 2011, 18:33

Very nice indeed. Smile I like it !

Back to top Go down
Stormchaser
Slave
Stormchaser

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 09 2011, 23:26

Tamiya Clear Red, with just a drop of Clear Blue, with a bit of thinner to make it easier to work with Smile

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 10 2011, 04:42

Stormchaser wrote:
Tamiya Clear Red, with just a drop of Clear Blue, with a bit of thinner to make it easier to work with Smile

I second this. The Tamiya Clears really have a great consistency for doing blood without too much running.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tips for BLOOD! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips for BLOOD!   Tips for BLOOD! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips for BLOOD!
Page 1 of 1