THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?

Go down 
+3
Mr Believer
Jimsolo
smith1186
7 posters
AuthorMessage
smith1186
Hellion
smith1186

The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? Empty
PostSubject: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 03:23

So occasionally some dudes at my local store play Tyranids and since DE are just such a perfect counter to them, I've thought about taking on a unit to make the game more challenging.

So a giant blob of 20 Hellions (260 pts) seems like it would do nicely if I keep them VERY WELL covered and time their attack to pounce at the right moment.

Also, could run 15 Hellions + a Helliarch w/Phantasm Launcher + Agoniser/pistol to give them the ability to assault into terrain (253 pts) and nasty CC Heliarch.

Granted these guys die even more easily than any other unit (with saves that rival a dense pocket of air) but the models are Awesomeness Incarnate and their fluff is just the right kind of retched for me Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil .

I was wondering if anyone else has tried these guys against the Nids in similar scenarios or has any other insight?

They may also prove useful against Genestealer Cult lists.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 07:08

I have occasionally used Hellions hiding inside a Fortress of Redemtion. (Their Jetpacks enable them to disembark to the roof and then assault a unit on the ground.) They are indeed squidgy. I would try to find some way to protect them against shooting if you're intent on using them. Their pitiful armor save and inability to go to ground is a pretty big albatross around your neck.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25 2016, 07:41

It would certainly make the game more challenging. It can be pretty dull just taking Venom after Venom though, so maybe this would be a fun list. I would love to use my Hellions more, but actually my lists these days have started shifting back to including a squad of warriors in a Raider with splinter racks, with maybe some empty Venoms nipping about. I just know I'd lose four Hellions in one shooting phase then the rest would bolt, if I even got them close enough to do anything Sad It's not like a Raider is a lot more survivable, I know, but Objective Secured on the unit it deposits and on itself is pretty good.

Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31 2016, 03:50

against nids the phantasm grenade launcher is a waste. Most everything will be within synapse range, and therefore fearless.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31 2016, 05:10

Fun fact: only the models that are in Synapse range are protected. Even though the unit as a whole can't fail a Morale test, only the models with the Fearless rule itself are immune to Soulfright.

So against Tyranids and IG blobs, Soulfright weapons actually can be useful. (Also against Chaos Daemons, who don't technically have the Fearless rule.)
Back to top Go down
smith1186
Hellion
smith1186

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 31 2016, 07:52

I just a good tactical excuse to take a giant blob of 20 hellions and actually have do something good.

If they had a blitz move or cost less or just had a better save then maybe they would be somewhat worth taking.

I mean they are riding around on skyboards so they should be able to jink atleast or get a 5+ invuln in regards to their fast and mobile boards.

Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01 2016, 11:19

Or give them +1 attack back...

Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01 2016, 12:29

Note that the phantasm launcher doesn't help them out with terrain any more Sad

Anyway it sounds like a good excuse to break out awesome looking models - go for it!

Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02 2016, 16:38

I still have two boxes of them and I'd use them as beast masters. They are cheaper, type beast and have the same power in shooting. And you wouldn't want them in close combat anyway.

Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2016, 03:23

I like the idea of running them as beast masters. The cheaper price tag is nice and beasts is better than jump infantry for most cases. Not wanting hellions in close combat is too broad though. With all their buffs they're good in the second half of the game. Combat drugs, +1S, furious charge etc. combines to make them punch quite hard. Their speed and role flexibility is useful.

Jump packs also lets the unit deep strike which fits their niche better. They arrive later so have more PfP buffs and they get to shoot before the enemy can target them. Dropping them into an area where the enemy is already being pressed can force them to make hard decisions about target priority. The cheaper points of the beastmasters makes them more optimal and points efficient but you have to start them on the board and they're pretty fragile.

They might combo well with the death jester spectre that has shrouded since he can also move through terrain without penalty and he'd pump up their cover save to a 3+/2+ in woods/ruins, which is great for area denial.

Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2016, 10:05

It's a shame Archons don't have some Autarch-style reserve manipulation that you could use to ensure your Hellions come on late...

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2016, 13:51

But as beasts they aren't slowed down by terrain so you can just put them there and shoot. And if you want them in close combat just buy 2-4 agoniser.

Kabalite Warrior
Korona

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03 2016, 14:08

Taking a razorwing with the new skies of blood addon gives you autarch-style reserve manipulation thanks to air superiority plus there's always the chance of reserve manipulation warlord traits.

@CptMetal - yeah I think area denial is a pretty interesting option for beastmasters. Attack saturation with decent strength 5 weapons is the key to the hellion CC punch though.

PostSubject: Re: The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?   The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The neglected Hellions vs. Tyranids. Good idea?
Page 1 of 1