THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? Empty
PostSubject: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 00:52

I've been thinking of modelling up a squad of Corsair Voidstorms as for some reason I've wound up with a ton of Dire Avenger bodies knocking around.

However, I don't want to just make what looks cool. I'd like them to be at least slightly effective on the battlefield.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Doom of Mymeara book. What options can they take, and what's the most effective loadout?

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 05:00

battlescribe. it's accurate.

blast pistol, dissonance pistol, power weapon, and venom blade. 1 per five can take one of the special weapons regular squads have access to, the unit costs less base then it should for the price per model to upgrade it so it's actually disincentivized to take more bodies.

I am of the opinion that there is only 2 viable formulations of this particular squad: Jetpacks and either venomblades for the dirt cheap version and gunslinger dissonance pistols for the far more interesting skirmish range hit and run unit. both builds are dedicated anti-people tho, as dissonance pistols only get to use their vibropulse special rule to wound. I also like to toss a baron into the squad. A baron with a shadowfield can absorb all of the rest of the units wounds via look out sir as every member of the squad is a character.

They can also take Voidshield Harnesses which grant a 3+ armour saves but this is an incredibly inefficient way to get a 3+ armour save. Just make them jetbikes instead at that point.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 10:07

Thanks man Smile I've tried to use battlescribe before but it keeps coming up with an error saying the data files aren't compatible. Haven't tried it in a couple of months though so I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the ideas for the two builds. I tend to prefer bare-bones squads so I'll probably go for the Venom Blades. Plus, they're easier to model compared to the FW-only Dissonance Pistols.

Saying that, I do like the idea of a skirmish hit & run gunslinger unit though. If only Blast Pistols were cheaper and/or had more range.

How about Venom Blades with an additional Flamer to allow a little extra shooting and discourage counter-charges? Can they take HWG for a little added utility? I suppose an attached Baron could...

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 15:12

They can take HWG as a unit, as can almost every Corsair squad. There is no bit for dissonance pistols, only full size ones for the bale strike band/jet bikes, not even from forgeworld. I usually take the fusion gun as reckless abandon will allow the squad to run d6 inches away when they fire overwatch and this is often enough to get them out of harms way.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 15:28

I thought the reckless abandon/overwatch shenanigans was stopped with the semi-FAQ things that Forgeworld put out. I did quite like it as it sort of made Corsairs unassaultable for the ultimate skirmishing unit, but it did seem a bit OP.

If there's no bit for it then I might have a go at converting up some of my left over Fusion Pistols from Harlequin sets, but that'll be pretty low on my (very long) list of conversion ideas...

Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 15:35

No. that "FAQ" is entirely hearsay. It wasn't a public post from QA, design, or anyone with the authority to change RAW. It was a statement from a customer service rep, and thus we can't validate it since we have other CA rep "faq's" that directly contradicts the actual FAQ. ITC banned Corsair jet bikes from doing it too so that may be informing your thought process, but they EXPLICITLY only banned it on our jet bikes not our regular dudes.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 16:42

Very interesting. I suppose I could selectively allow myself to use that rule depending on which army I'm facing. If it's a full Gladius/Wolftide then hell yeah I'm using it, but it'd be like punching a puppy if I used it against Orks...

Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 16:53

Remember: reckless abandon for footsloggers, even with jetpacks, is only d6. Not nearly the guaranteed escape jetbikes have at 6+d6. I actually have a pretty hard time vs shooty orks because of that loss of about a foot of overall movement. Wrecks cc ork armies that aren't built around. A stompa tho.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 20:24

I thought the 6+d6" applied to jetpacks as well?

Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
CurstAlchemist

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 20:28

Ynneadwraith wrote:
I thought the 6+d6" applied to jetpacks as well?

They do: "If the unit has the type Jet Pack Infantry or Eldar Jetbike, this move is increased to 6+D6"." Quoted right out of the book, page 154 under Reckless Abandon.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 11 2016, 20:46

Just double checked my bad I don't know how I kept missing that. My army just got much better.
Back to top Go down
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior
HokutoAndy

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19 2016, 11:52

They come with 4+sv's so the jetpacks have less of an appeal. This also makes them more suited to be put in a transport.

A venom will let them leap into melee so 5 with poison blades and a flamer (which doesn't replace a ccw) with a Reaper of the Outer Dark prince for Rage plus Hatebringers or Head Takers coterie is throwing a lot of dice at anything with a toughness value you want to delete.

Don't forget to throw a blinding grenade as you're charging in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?   If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you had to use Corsair Voidstorms, how would you spec them?
Page 1 of 1