THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion

Go down 
+2
Falke
Anarchistscourge
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion Empty
PostSubject: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16 2017, 23:10

Hey fellow Archons.
So I've recently started building out a Dark Eldar army, mainly getting the models I like the look off. Well I will now be picking up 2 Talos boxes to build darkartisan and will be use the extra bits for a grotesquerie.
Ive seen tonnes of grotesque conversions with crypt horrors, but I was looking to do something different. Has anyone come across or used Ogryns/bullgryns for their conversions? They look around the same scale while being a bit more beefy than crypt horrors and come on 40mm bases. Any suggestions / help?
Back to top Go down
Falke
Hellion
Falke

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17 2017, 17:11

As for me - Ogryns is very bulky and massive for grotesques. I bought at ebay Mantic Undead Werevolves. More cheap and with greenstuff i belive i can do werevolves a little high
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17 2017, 19:49

I don't believe I've seen them converted; I don't think I've seen them in person in any state.

It's too bad, because I'm looking at the models on line, and they look nice.

As for converting them into Grotesques, if you think you can get something that you like out of it, do it, but I wouldn't. I really love the Dark Eldar aesthetic, so I'm pretty anal about it. So much of the Ogryn models just don't fit - the fatigues, the flat planes on the armor plates, and so on. I think I'd end up just using the Ogryn as an armature to sculpt the Grotesque onto.

Again, that's just my 2 cents and my tastes. Of the various "standard" Grotesque conversions out there I think the ones built from the Ogrun Warspears from Hordes work best, but honestly I don't really like any of them.

Back to top Go down
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17 2017, 21:42

I agree they look to small and humanoid for my liking. I know I can get the crypt horrors to look good but for me a grotesque should be bulky. Perhaps with a hefty amount of greenstuff the ogryns could look ok. They are nice looking models

Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17 2017, 23:38

Have you ever actually seen a real grotesque model? They're suuuuuuuuper short. Shorter than the pervy looking current Archon model. The only reason crypt horrors work as a 1 to 1 is the lunging pose. Having said that half of mine are Stormfiend conversions so I completely understand the desire for bulk.
Back to top Go down
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18 2017, 00:09

Must admit I have not seen a grotesque on the table. Neither have I seen ogryns or crypt horrors. The guys I play with work on volumetric equivalent and Base size so as long as there on 40mm bases and not daemon prince size they should be OK. The idea I had behind them was that they are made from other races not the darkeldar themselves so even if the Armour is more blocky it will be fine. I'll prob do some stuff with the Talos too to tie it in

Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18 2017, 00:11

I'm about to run an errand. When I get home I'll upload a picture of my menagerie so you'll have a good idea of the sheer scale shift you can do even in a competitive environment. I don't have any ogryn converts tho, but I have things that are both bigger and smaller.
Back to top Go down
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18 2017, 00:22

That would be great if you can. Won't see them for a bit as I'm flying home from the states. But size comparisons will be a massive help. Thanks

Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20 2017, 02:01

First 1 is a full deathstar level groups to demo why the scale difference doesn't really matter if they are mixed. Second  is a one to one with the tallest crypt horror (I use vargheist builds) vs the second tallest stormfiend who becomes the tallest if you don't use any of their armour, 3rd is a scalar run including an "archon" I'm a strict adherent to the edna mode philosophy of no capes but the top of the flag is as tall as the pervy archon with the trophy rack, last 1 included a warwalker which is ~ the next unit in scale up and why the slight volumetric difference doesn't matter. For comparative purposes the wyches chest is the same height as the top of a pure-box war walker.

Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion P1000211
Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion P1000214
Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion P1000215
Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion P1000217
Back to top Go down
Anarchistscourge
Kabalite Warrior
Anarchistscourge

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20 2017, 07:29

Thabks for the pictures. Really helpful to have a scale to look at. Im pretty sure I will probably go with ogryns for a different look than the crypt horrors but I'll probably check to see what they look correct to scale first.

Hekatrix
amorrowlyday

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20 2017, 07:32

They should be between the two. Names escape me at present but whoever is doing the carnival/circus themed army over in the logs section has a stormfiend based "talos" that uses the bullgryn head.
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20 2017, 10:45

That'll be @spellcheck2001 Wink

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6097-harlequin-carnival-la-danse-macabre

Thanks for the size comparison @amorrowlyday that's really, really helpful. I was thinking of doing something similar with a Wraithblade, Kurnoth Hunter, Tree Revenant, Grotesque, Crypt Horror Grotesque, Wraithlord and Talos at some point when I've managed to get one of each Smile perhaps an Ogryn would be helpful too. Alas that'll have to wait until I've got a little more moula than I do at present!

Ooh, I could add in a standard Marine and a Truescale one too. Perhaps a little project with a size scale from Grot to Daemon Prince would be good if I suddenly decide that massive debt is a sound life decision Wink

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12 2018, 14:58

Mhh, I guess I will order a unit of ogryns and crypt horrors and try to convert the best out of them with the parts that remained from my last 3 talos'.

This thread is almost 2 years old, are there any new tips on grotesque conversions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion   Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bullgryn/Ogryns Grotesque conversion
Page 1 of 1