THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss

Go down 
+3
Scrz
aurynn
Tzelok
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tzelok
Hellion
Tzelok

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14 2017, 00:31

Hello fellow Archons/Succubi/Haemonculi,

This PLOG is where I will be posting my army pics as I paint them up.

A little background: I first started hobbying 21 years ago when I discovered 2nd edition 40k. At some point, I made a switch over to fantasy, which I stuck to until it's untimely demise (Tzelok on the Druchii forum, Artius on the Bretonnian forums). I was in a hobby deadzone for a couple years, but with the new edition of 40K, my original gaming group is now all back on the same game.

So I went a little crazy....I bought about 5K pts worth of minis...and an airbrush (waiting for the compressor to arrive before I can play with that)...and I got to work!

One note - I realize my pictures are pretty terrible quality, I tried making a light box but fear I used too small a box. Bare with me until I can figure out a replacement for it - I will replace the pics as I can.

Kabalite Warriors
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss MGRKCU1

Trueborn
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss WId2VqM

Archon
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss ZL0MMcg
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss 1sr8u41
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss XCsX88T

My current WIP is some scourges - hopefully by the time I am finished with them I will have my airbrush compressor and can get started on some venoms/raiders/razorwings.

Feedback welcome!
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14 2017, 05:25

bounce love em! Dark, sinister, yet not purely black. Good choice of colours.
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite
Scrz

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14 2017, 06:22

I like them. The blue armor of the warriors contrasts nicely with the orange rust on the bases. I would maybe clean up the lip of the bases where the wash has spilled over to make the whole model look a little crisper. Other than that, a gang of great looking guys! Looking forward to the scourges.

Squirrel!
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 14 2017, 16:09

Thanks guys!

@Scrz - great minds think alike! I ended up painting the base sides black since I took the photos initially!

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 18:44

After getting steamrolled with the busiest month I've had at work ever (it's still happening but I'm chipping away 1 hr a night) I finally finished the scourges! I really am liking how they turned out - especially the little vials of liquid near the wings, which I painted with complete inspiration from the "Dark City" image at the top of the page.

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss LQzDiJY
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss C3Lw7c4
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss Y4pGVc9
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss SBmJlac
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss XrgDWvW
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss FcxltmE

I am now working towards painting a 2K tournament list, next steps are some assembly:
10x Incubi
Succubus
3 x Ravagers
4 x Raiders
Venom

Once those are done, I need to paint all of that plus about 9 warriors and 10 wyches....I have 45 days to do so, which should be ample time if I can not let work bleed into my personal life.

I've also recently purchased a full airbrush setup, so hopefully that will help expedite my basecoats and enable me to do some cool stuff on the vehicles! Stay tuned!

Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 02 2017, 12:04

Very nice color scheme, and nice bases too.
Very nice work on paintings too =)

I'm just a little upset with scourges bases, it just doesn't feels right :p

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 02 2017, 16:06

Thank you! Yea, I couldn't think how else to make the standard bases I was using work with the bits the scourges are standing on - I thought this worked ok Razz

Twisted
Ynneadwraith

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03 2017, 01:31

Hmmm, here's an idea. If you chop up some spare bits of sprue into different sizes, put some 'chips' into them with clippers and scatter a few on the base (perhaps with some smaller bits of sand/rubble) it'll look like there's a steel floor with bits of stone rubble crumbling over it Smile should be pretty quick and easy to do as well (not to mention cheap!)

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03 2017, 11:47

Yeah, you can also "cover" with thin plastic sheets, and paint 'em metal.
And/or add tubes.

They are so many solutions here ^^.

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 03 2017, 19:30

Great ideas, thanks guys! I'll probably do a hybrid - I read this last night as I was putting together my incubi and saved all the sprues. This will probably take a back seat to getting the rest of the army ready, as I am worried about making it in time for the tourney, but it's 1st on my list of to-do's once everything has some paint on it.

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24 2017, 18:45

So, work basically ruined my chances of getting done for the tournament. I've decided not to stress about it but just paint what I can - and last night was the first night I ever got to use my airbrush.

I'm pretty happy with the result, not sure what colour I want to use for my "tribal markings" and this isn't quite done, but its a good start!
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss Uwmq0cN
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss IQSOVkE
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss WnJdorW

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28 2017, 19:05

All done on the venom, now started on 4 raiders and 3 ravagers:
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss ApFCgu9
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss LcL0TTr
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss GclOYSd
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss Z2hVeO0

This was a learning experience, I laid the paint on a bit thick on certain areas etc - but I'm actually quite happy with the outcome.

In priming/basecoating the raiders, I've realized I have already learned much better trigger control - I'm starting to get crazy ideas that I can actually finish everything in time for the tournament.

Tournament is on Sept 17th....I still have to paint:
4 Raiders
3 Ravagers
9 Warriors
10 Wyches
10 Incubi
4 razorwing flocks

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 01 2017, 23:10

So it's been awhile since I last posted - I ended up getting close but not fully painted for the tourney (unfortunately).

I did have a great time (despite having to fight papa smurf thrice) and won 2, tied 1, and lost 2. But apparently I'm fun to play against cuz I got this!
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss YfRbplI

Anyways, a bit of a hobby update: I've been chipping away at the raiders and crew for what seems to be a lifetime, but am benching them for now as I am thinking of a new tourney list and it doesn't have any raiders. Pic dump below of what I have been working on thus far:

Venom with Crew:
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss Y0kWQKk
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss D6Y3VPs

Raiders/Ravagers:
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss JLckSy0
Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss WIMHzZ7

Hekatrix
Lord Asvaldir

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04 2017, 17:30

Shame you won't be using your raiders as much in the future since they look incredibly good!

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04 2017, 18:30

Thanks Lord Asvaldir! Actually my test game went horrifically so two raiders found their way back onto the list after all!

Slave
Nathelis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 30 2018, 11:00

Your raiders inspired me to revisit my vehicle paint scheme for my kabal...really nice work there!

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 01 2018, 00:32

Thank you very much Nathelis! I'm glad I inspired!

Be on the look out - I've been painting up a storm as I have a tourney coming up not this weekend but next. I'll likely post pics after the tournament, but here's a sneak peak of what pics to expect:

What is done:
- 3 voidravens
- 2 venoms
- 5 scourges
- 1 Archon
- 3 Ravagers (with my custom Kabal symbol now on them)

What is left:
- 15 mandrakes
- 8 medusae
- 1 Archon
- 6 custom objective markers
- 1 really complicated but hopefully awesome display tray

Slave
Nathelis

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 02 2018, 09:15

maybe some feedback to your images: you have a dark painting scheme, you need a dark backround, otherwise the camera can not deal with the huge contrast of the image. try to use a black/grey paper as backround for your miniatures and take the photo of the kabalite squad again, the improvement should be huge

Hellion
Tzelok

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 05 2018, 13:18

Nathelis...you may have just solved my biggest most irksome problem, couldn’t figure out why for the life of me the pics were turning out garbage!!! I’m on the road right now for work but will try this when I get back home.

I very well may owe you a beer lol

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss
Page 1 of 1