THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Deploying and Reserves

Go down 
+2
Painjunky
Barrywise
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

Deploying and Reserves Empty
PostSubject: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31 2017, 05:49

Howdy y'all. I've been away from my army for awhile now due to job reasons and before I go back, I was wondering what experiences people have been having with deployments and units in reserve.

Other than a quick couple of games with friends when the rules leaked and we all went to our respective internships, my only experience has been a plethora of battle reps online.

What I've seen so far, has been pretty much everyone deploying their army as close as they can and hoping to get the first turn. This results in an absolute blood bath as the battles are usually determined by the end of turn 2. The only report I've read where this didn't happen, was a Necron player against an Eldar 11 skimmer list, that finally got up close and personal on turn 4 to try and grab objectives.

Also, I've seen an interesting array of deepstrike reserves, with the majority of them being dropped turn 1 and failing the ~27.78% chance of making the 9" charge. (ignoring rerolls for a minute, I'll get to that.) I understand the idea of having as much firepower on the board as possible, but these deepstriking units are almost always the first to die. Which is good if they're a cheap distraction with a good save, but there have also been times where dropping them turn 3 would be the difference between winning or losing an objective.

The other mistake I've seen made, is dropping a CC unit behind enemy lines after the enemy moves up a little. It's the saddest thing to see Lightning claw terminators get dropped behind enemy lines, fail their charge, and play catch-up for the rest of the game as they get peppered down.

Back to 9" charges and rerolls. You're given two options. Reroll charges means rerolling both dice. The other option is to use the stratagem to reroll a single die. (*sidenote* CP reroll a die, can you then reroll charge distance for the other one? can't reroll a reroll but you've only rerolled a single die...) Back on topic, The first option is getting a 9 on 2d6. That's, as I mentioned previously, a 27.78% chance of success. Rerolling them both if you don't make it is again a 27.78% chance of success. Together this is 47.84% chance of success.

equation used: -((1-P)^n - 1) Where P is the probability (27.78/100 or 10/36) and n is the number of rolls, in this case 2.

ex: P=.3
1: .3
2: .51
3: .657
4: .7599
5: .83193

In the event you have a single good die (4+) you may choose to use a command point to reroll your other die. In the event of a 6, you need a 3+ so that a 66% chance of making it. with a 5, 4+, 50% and with a 4, 5+ so 33%. decreasing by 16.67% each time. Basically, with 1 good die, you stand a better chance using the command point to make it, than rerolling both of them.

What experiences have y'all had so far? What works, what doesn't work? Do you agree with what I've put above?

Wych
Painjunky

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 31 2017, 09:50

I agree with your observations.

You should know if you have less or more "drops" than your opponent and if you have more you should be using range and cover to avoid his alpha strike. If he has strong DS units you should castle too.
Hoping for a seize even with CP reroll is a fools game.

Often it's wise not to DS T1.

DS is more for shooty units. You cant rely on a 9" charge from DS but there are options that allow units to DS and move and charge. CSM have a psy power that does this for example. As I said before, castling is an option.

What works for me?
I often go second as I have (at least) 12 drops at 2000pts.
I use this to my advantage by deploying spread out, encouraging my opponent to do the same. Using terrain and range to limit alpha strike. My most important units will be dropped last after I've seen my opponents deployment.
T1 after weathering his alpha our fast speed allows DE to redeploy to attack the most vulnerable enemy units.
If I seize its a bonus!

With our cool darklances you should be able to combine fire and take out a vehicle or MC (the one that threatens you most) T1.

I like to DS a unit of mandrakes or scourges behind his lines. I use cover so most of his army has no LOS to them and shoot up a unit. They demand he turn units around and deal with them.
Back to top Go down
TheHostwiththeMost
Kabalite Warrior
TheHostwiththeMost

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 01:10

Remember, you dont need line of sight to charge in 8th, however you do need line of sight to overwatch.

Edit: Also the command point reroll specifically states you reroll 1, not both =(
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 01:40

I only just realized today that you can only hold units in Reserve if they have a special rule that lets you do so. Sad face.
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 02:46

oh Jim Sad

and @Host. Yeah, you can use the stratagem to reroll a single die, otherwise from Power from Pain, DE can reroll both dice.

Kabalite Warrior
TheHostwiththeMost

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 03:11

Ah true @barrywise.  After t2 starts you can reroll charges.  If ynnari, you can soulburst charge as a quasi reroll. Only CW/Corsairs get the rough end of the stick. Harlies shouldnt need it with the extra d6 advancing before the charge.

Too bad the heamies still dont give +1 turn to power from pain, not that you can deepstrike a heamy anyways.

@jim They really neutered out deepstrike options.  I mean we are the damn kings of the webway...  Yet we just walk onto the battlefield waiting for the ambush.   I understand the other eldar, but raiders and venoms are supposed to rain from the sky as slaves are snatched up to fill the fighting pits!
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych
Barrywise

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 03:54

Well yeah, the codex isn't even out yet. And that'll come with all the relics and special stratagems. If anything, the webway portal will be in there.

Kabalite Warrior
TheHostwiththeMost

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 10:19

I cant wait. I wonder how they will implement the webway now that characters cannot join units.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 01 2017, 19:50

Perhaps the Webway Portal will get a rule like the Tyranid Trygon tunnel: declare the character with the Portal is in reserve, along with another unit; on arrival the Character deploys by normal Deep Strike rules, and the adjoining unit within 3".
Back to top Go down
Logan Frost
Sybarite
Logan Frost

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 02 2017, 15:13

Tip for deployment:
Units that DS must be deployed and count as a drop.
If you bring a couple of units like scourges or mandrakes deploy them first in DS, so you start to drop on the battlefield with at least two units of the enemy already in position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deploying and Reserves   Deploying and Reserves I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deploying and Reserves
Page 1 of 1