THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New to the True Kin. Some questions

Go down 
+2
Mppqlmd
jomacatopa96
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jomacatopa96
Slave
jomacatopa96

New to the True Kin. Some questions Empty
PostSubject: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19 2017, 21:14

Hello True Kin,

I have joined you and seek the wisdom you may provide. Let's be real, I am an absolute noob to warhammer. I understand the mechanics of army building (points, options, detachments and such) but i lack the knowledge to actually build an army. I have read some things around the internet and listened to what my friends have said (the lesser kin, mon-keigh and daemons i will be destroying) and built something resembling an army in a general sense but i am not sure of one thing.

Talking with a friend about the lack of heavy support the DE have i was saying that craftworlder walkers may be a good idea to what he answered that maybe i should specialize some more (he is as much a noob as me but with a more stratigical [is that even a word] mind than mine). He said that maybe i should specialize in either shooting or melee, with a bit of the other to cover all bases rather than do both badly.

How right is he? Should i go for one thing more than the other?

My idea was to have a bit of everything. Some wyches for melee, kabalites for dealig with troops and tanks, wracks cause i like the idea (not quite sure what they are for), some reavers to ride around and deal with the fine gentleman i want occupied and hellions cutting troop fools down.

Is this too bad? I don't want to go full competitive since i am playing with some friends and we are playing both more fluffy and for fun.

Also last question: Would wraithguard be worth to put in an army? And wraithblades?

Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks
-Jose
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 19 2017, 21:18

Wracks are shock troops that are both very resilient, pack some punch (poisoned weapons make them kinda nice vs elite/Monsters) and are not that expensive. With a Haemy to buff them, they are nice.

Kabalites are shooters that specialize in bringing down elite/creatures with poison, and can have some Darklight for Anti-Tank purpose (Dark Lance and Blasters).

Cult troops (wyches, reavers, hellions) are a bit meh at the moment.

Dark Eldar only have a few Heavy Support choices, and most of them are bad (Pain Engines), but the Ravager is a gorgeous tactical choice, and you really don't need Warwalkers. You CAN take them, but you shouldn't be forced to, Ravagers are excellent for both anti infantry (dissie cannons) and anti-tank (dark lances).

Welcome aboard !

Sybarite
Hen Tai, the tentacle guy

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 22 2017, 11:07

Dark lances are quite good as you can fire them from vehicles without penalties after moving. If you spam them with ravagers and raiders, the opponent will have a bad time. The voidraven can also be a good AV platform (I usually use mine with dark scythes). When it comes to troops, kabalites brings more bang for the buck, and you can also equip them with a dark lance in a 10 man squad and a blaster in a 5 man squad for AV and high T targets. Scourges and hellions are good as fast attack, reavers are a bit lacking. For cc, I would use incubi. Razorwing jetfighters are also very good in this edition, and venoms can be fun to carry small troops in. I usually go 50/50 with venoms and raiders. The ravager is a must.

masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 11:16

Now that I'm playing somewhat regulary, I'm really digging into wyches/hekatrix.
They are not that expensive, and are really good at saturation (+1 A, wait turn 3 to hit on 2+, Succubus allow to reroll ones) and kinda resilient with their 4++ save in close combat.

You can also pack 'em with blast pistol and agoniser, that deals decent damages (especially now that you can fire pistols even in cc).

Next time I'll try to add a farsser with doom (re-reoll to wound).

Note on AT : don't forget you can also change DL for dissies, better versus medium armor.
And my favorite units stays for now Scourges, either with blasters or DL Smile

New to the True Kin. Some questions 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / New to the True Kin. Some questions 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix
FuelDrop

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 11:52

masamune wrote:
Now that I'm playing somewhat regulary, I'm really digging into wyches/hekatrix.
They are not that expensive, and are really good at saturation (+1 A, wait turn 3 to hit on 2+, Succubus allow to reroll ones) and kinda resilient with their 4++ save in close combat.

You can also pack 'em with blast pistol and agoniser, that deals decent damages (especially now that you can fire pistols even in cc).

Next time I'll try to add a farsser with doom (re-reoll to wound).

Note on AT : don't forget you can also change DL for dissies, better versus medium armor.
And my favorite units stays for now Scourges, either with blasters or DL Smile

My main problem with using wyches for saturation is... well, quite a lot of stuff does it better, more reliably and at longer range. Even humble guardsmen with lasguns can put out 40 shots from a 10 man squad at 40 points + an order while still 12 inches from the enemy (and thus not getting attacked back in their own turn). Even with hitting on 2+ and a +1 attack drug, Wyches cannot economically compete with that.
Back to top Go down
Chippen
Kabalite Warrior
Chippen

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 23 2017, 13:43

@jomatacopa96 - Drukhari may lack Heavy Support options, but we are certainly not lacking in a good unit there. Ravagers are an amazing unit. At 1500 points, you should have 3, minimum.

In general when playing Drukhari, we're really good at anti-tank - Dark Lances are the crap, quite frankly. What we struggle with is killing infantry - poison just isn't as good as it used to be, and to get it in enough numbers isn't always efficient. The best option I've found for anti-infantry is 5 Trueborn, 2 with Splinter Cannons, in a Venom. 165 points for 23 shots at 18" and 33 at 12". The downside to this unit over the standard Kabs + Blaster + Venom is the lack of Objective Secured.

Wyches are best at tying up things in close combat and killing things that have fewer models and rely on stronger attacks. My rule for Wyches is that I will send them only against units that have fewer models and fewer attacks in CC than the wyches do. They're very niche, but very good at their niche.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 24 2017, 11:46

Wyches have done great in most if my battles. They are not that killy, but with support from a succubus and an archon, most stuff will be dead after a turn or two.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the True Kin. Some questions   New to the True Kin. Some questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to the True Kin. Some questions
Page 1 of 1