THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Black Library and Horus Heresy Question

Go down 
+3
Preacher
ColoredBanana
Sky Serpent
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Black Library and Horus Heresy Question Empty
PostSubject: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06 2011, 18:37

A very quick question. I want to read a specific book about one chapter of marines, tho' I do want to read the series at some point, would I be ruining the series by skipping 6 books or can I jump in slightly?
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
ColoredBanana
Slave
ColoredBanana

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06 2011, 20:16

Well, I've only read up to A Thousand Sons (excluding Fall of Angels and Descent of Angels, since I've heard they suck). But I believe that only 1 - 4 (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames and Flight of the Eisenstein) follows a direct story line (how it began, obviously), while the others just take different parts of the war and kind of zooms in on them.

In other words yes, I think you should be safe.

Last edited by ColoredBanana on Sun Nov 06 2011, 22:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling and/or Grammar)
Back to top Go down
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior
Preacher

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 09:38

Skipping six books...that should mean Legion if I can picture my bookshelf right. In which case, no, it shouldn't be an issue to dive right in. It is rather different than the other books, but what do you expect from the Alpha Legion?

As ColouredBanna said, the first four books follow a direct story line leading up to the Drop Site Massacare and beyond. For some of the other books I'd said its better to read these four first, like Fulgrim links in toward the end. However you'll be safe with things like Decent of Angels, Legion, The First Heretic and others.

Edit: Oh and just to defend an often "overlook" book, I really liked Decent of Angels. It's not big on boom-bastic Space Marine battles where they commit geonocide like Fulgrim, but rather it deals with the changes that happen to a Space Marine homeworld. It is entirely set on Caliban, mostly before Emperor comes and finds Johnson. You have to like fantasy as well as sci-fi, but it's gooooood.
Back to top Go down
Cam300
Slave
Cam300

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 21 2011, 11:15

It should be fine; Legion is a stand alone novel anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 12:42

I have made a decision that Alpha Legion will be my new army come sixth addition as long as my Dark Eldar are finished by then - I bought Horus Rising for £1 off eBay, figured I'd take the time and enjoy the series.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 14:37

Yeah I would atleast read horus rising-flight of the eisenstien first, as that sets every other book up. After that baring the oddity like decent of angels (and the other DA one, but cant remember the name) and a thousand sons/prospero burns, most of the HH are one shots, but give you an overarching story
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 15:38

ColoredBanana wrote:
Well, I've only read up to A Thousand Sons (excluding Fall of Angels and Descent of Angels, since I've heard they suck). But I believe that only 1 - 4 (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames and Flight of the Eisenstein) follows a direct story line (how it began, obviously), while the others just take different parts of the war and kind of zooms in on them.

In other words yes, I think you should be safe.

Exactly. The other books weave in and out of those story lines.
Do yourself a favor and SKIP Fulgrim. I love the Emperor's Children, but that book suuuucked Mad
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 15:48

As an alternate viewpoint - Fulgrim was one of my favorite of the books (I also loved Mechanicum, which seems to be one of the most hated, and thought the Alpha Legion one was stupid bad, while most other people loved it...meh)
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 22 2011, 18:12

Alpha Legion was ok... at best. Fulgrim was such a hard read for me. Idk why, but it really dragged me out of the HH in general, which is why Ive barely gotten through the first chapter of mechanicum... I really need to continue on and get through the rest of them :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Library and Horus Heresy Question   Black Library and Horus Heresy Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Library and Horus Heresy Question
Page 1 of 1