THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?

Go down 
+8
TheBaconPope
aurynn
Skari
|Meavar
Archon_91
lament.config
DingWop
FenWulf
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? Empty
PostSubject: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 18:55

What is the best role for the RWJF?

Hellion
DingWop

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 19:50

I look at the RWJF as my 4th and 5th ravagers except instead of a third Dark Lance they have some anti-infantry weapons in the form of missiles and twin splinter weapons.

My question is if people use them as bubble wrap. I've been thinking of setting them up on the outside of my deployment ring to help prevent first turn charges. They can't be assaulted and it's probably better for the enemy to shoot at the hard to hit -1 target than the ravagers.
Back to top Go down
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 19:52

Yes that does sound good. I just wanted to gather a better idea as how others field them.

Sybarite
lament.config

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 20:29

I look at it as an elite infantry or vehicle hunter depending on taking disintgrators or dark lances. Disintgrators are more of an all a rounder. The dark lances are definitely good against vehicles and monsters.

It also works as a character hunter due to their movement profile. Though I think since 8th has been around for a while and people have gotten better about keeping characters tucked in so to speak
Back to top Go down
DingWop
Hellion
DingWop

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 20:45

If you have more than one flyer you could try to surround a transport with their huge bases during the move phase so that the troops have nowhere to disembark when you blow it up.
Back to top Go down
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 21:18

lament.config wrote:
I look at it as an elite infantry or vehicle hunter depending on taking disintgrators or dark lances. Disintgrators are more of an all a rounder. The dark lances are definitely good against vehicles and monsters.

Vehicle Hunter? How so, wouldn't you shoot at a -1 for moving when shooting heavy weapons (DL)?

Hellion
DingWop

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 21:45

dark lance has 'change this from heavy to assault if on a vehicle', the RWJF is a vehicle so no -1 to shooting.

The dark lance with up to 6 dmg is best against targets with lots of hit points (ie vehicles or monsters)
Disintegrators are most efficient against targets with 2hp, bikes or the like.
Back to top Go down
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 21:47

Yes yes!.. I did not know that it becomes an assault weapon. That applies to all vehicles?

Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 08 2018, 22:07

Yes it applies to all our vehicles
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 07:54

FenWulf wrote:
Yes yes!.. I did not know that it becomes an assault weapon. That applies to all vehicles?
One of the main reasons why our dark lances are considered good.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 17:19

I use them to snipe characters that are not well bubble wrapped in the back field mostly...

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 17:31

I use them quite regularly instead of Ravagers. They are amazing for the points. Provide anti-assault wrap against some armies and their selection of weapons and movement and range can put hurt on various stuff. I consider them slightly better than Ravagers in fact.
Back to top Go down
DingWop
Hellion
DingWop

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 17:40

Does anyone find the forced movement and 90deg turns a problem in terms of positioning and range? Any tips to overcome these factors? I'm going to field one for the first time at a tournament tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 18:54

DingWop wrote:
Does anyone find the forced movement and 90deg turns a problem in terms of positioning and range? Any tips to overcome these factors?   I'm going to field one for the first time at a tournament tomorrow.  

Great question.. I'm looking forward to hearing others opinions on this too.

Wych
TheBaconPope

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 19:10

Quote :
Does anyone find the forced movement and 90deg turns a problem in terms of positioning and range? Any tips to overcome these factors? I'm going to field one for the first time at a tournament tomorrow.

The removal of firing arcs really helped the Razor wing out. I've had no problems with the 90 degree limit, provided it's deployed well. I always like to map out a "flight path" with mine, just to make sure I don't accidentally run it off the table

Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 19:12

Never faced more than a minor problem with this even with 3 flyers on board at once. Voidraven's 24'' guns are not ideal though. Lances and rockets are fine. You just need to think few turns forward in terms of movement, which is really easy.
Back to top Go down
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 19:25

Can you equipped more that one type of missile? & is there a cap on the total amount it can carry? sorry for the "stupid" questions I haven't played since 5th edition & am now getting back into it anticipating the codex release that's soon to come. Thanks everyone

Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 19:49

The Razorwing and the Voidraven (if you buy the missile upgrade) come with all the Missile options, you just tell your opponent which profile you are using and use that one for the missile pods shooting that turn, it's like a space Marine choosing between krak or frag missiles firing from their missile launchers that turn. And the missiles do not run out of ammo ... However you can only fire the missile pods once per turn.
Back to top Go down
FenWulf
Hellion
FenWulf

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 19:58

Archon_91 wrote:
The Razorwing and the Voidraven (if you buy the missile upgrade) come with all the Missile options, you just tell your opponent which profile you are using and use that one for the missile pods shooting that turn, it's like a space Marine choosing between krak or frag missiles firing from their missile launchers that turn. And the missiles do not run out of ammo ... However you can only fire the missile pods once per turn.

I was assuming this but wasn't sure. I am glad they went this route. Thanks

Hellion
DingWop

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 22:01

Most competitive lists run the RWJF, and the voidraven seems less prevalent. Even with the point increase from 155pts vs 169pts the voidraven looks like an easy choice. When the games are often decided in the first two rounds front loading your damage with the one time use bomb seems strong. To put it another way I would rather spend points to remove a number of models the first turn rather than a couple models over 5 rounds.

Why so much more love for the RWJF?
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 22:25

Mostly because the Razorwing automatically come with the missile pods and you have to spend 25 points to put it on the void Raven ... The bomb is nice but as it is only a one time use and rolls one die for each models in a unit (up to 10) or only 3 dice per vehicle or mc it doesn't pack as big a punch as you might think and once it's gone the Voidraven really only has 2 weapons (three if you buy missiles), the Razorwing without any upgrades has 4 weapons and never looses any of them, so it is more versatile than the Voidraven.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 22:32

DingWop wrote:
Why so much more love for the RWJF?
In 7th the Razorwing was clearly better. They are now at a very similar level, although sometimes the Voidraven will have a game winning bomb drop for you.

I put most of it down to a hangover from the previous edition.

Back to top Go down
DingWop
Hellion
DingWop

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 09 2018, 22:48

How about a stratagem that lets you reload the VoidBomb every other turn. That would make me buy a voidraven for sure. You listening GW? reload bomb=more sales!
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11 2018, 01:41

Because the bomb is tricky to use in the first turn (if you begin) and the Void will come down fast (if you don't).
And because we still have a lot of Lances in the Codex, where Disintegrators are so rare (just Ravager and Razors, and Rava is normally usefull with Lances).
And yes still have missiles which help a bit against infantry.
Back to top Go down
Lord Asvaldir
Hekatrix
Lord Asvaldir

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 11 2018, 06:14

Another factor in favor of the razorwing is almost half the price of the bomber money wise, which is certainly nice when the pts cost isn't all that different.

PostSubject: Re: Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?   Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Razorwing Jet Fighter best used for?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next