THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Mandrakes

Go down 
+5
Tounguekutter
The Strange Dark One
Mppqlmd
Kantalla
Silverglade
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 27 2018, 17:40

Hey all,

I haven't used mandrakes much in the past, but am planning to give them a whirl since they seem quite good this edition (one of our few sources of mortal wounds).

So my question is how many those of you who use them tend to field.

When I have used them in the past, I've fielded 5 as a bit of a harassing unit. I don't feel like that's enough though. Do most people field 10 these days?

Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 27 2018, 20:11

I found them really good, but you are quite correct that five wont get much done. I took five units of five each, backed up with a Farseer with Doom.

Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 27 2018, 20:50

Considering you don't pay for champions, taking 2 units of 5 is almost always better than taking 1 unit of 10. You just end up with 2 champions instead of 1.

Mandrakes are good at killing everything that has low Wound, but high T/Svg. They dish out an impressive amount of mortal wounds.

CC is very situational for them, however. I usually don't try the "first turn charge", because that's just a way to lose a few to overwatch. Deep strike them somewhere safe, knock off a few wounds, then move and assault on the next turn, on a target that is already engaged. Don't use them as a suicide unit, use them as a support unit.

Wych
The Strange Dark One

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 27 2018, 21:51

I like using them on turn 3 when they have re-rolling charges and 2+ to hit. Sure, their melee is not impressive but every little bit helps and it might cripple an already heavily wounded unit further.

Anyway, being DE means you need to pick your fights and it is very much the case for Mandrakes. I really like using them personally, especially in case my opponent got sloppy with his character bubble wrapping.
Back to top Go down
Tounguekutter
Sybarite
Tounguekutter

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28 2018, 00:48

The Strange Dark One wrote:
...in case my opponent got sloppy with his character bubble wrapping.

That's where it is at, but it is not just characters. Mandrakes, as far as I can tell, are meant to be held in your pocket until your opponent either loosens up his bubble-wrap, or leaves a static shooty unit or small expendable unit isolated either to hold an objective, or for other units to hold objectives. Either way, when the hunter is ready, the prey will appear.

My 8th edition fandex is complete enough for appraisal (note that I completed it before any previews had been released) .  I'm sure there are inconsistencies, please let me know where they lie as you find them.  Thank you!  Click here for fandex
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28 2018, 01:56

Good advice.

And at less than 100 points per squad of 5, leaving them in reserve till late game does not cripple your overall strategy
Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28 2018, 09:49

I also find myself often keeping mandrakes in reserve until turn 3 to get those victory points from objectives behind enemy lines which are just held by a small enemy unit, rather than fielding them in turn 1 for an alpha strike.

Charging is also very dependent on the enemy unit because this -1 on hits sadly does not help with overwatch. Best case would be to pop them up somewhere without LOS. Let them shoot at something else, and then charge the unit without LOS --> no overwatch. In best case you can tarpit some tank with a 6+ WS and he won't be able to hit your mandrakes.
Back to top Go down
Nathelis
Slave
Nathelis

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 28 2018, 11:45

I use five mandrakes in a venom and its nice additional firepower especially against marines

Hellion

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2018, 09:32

I use a unit of 6 to drop in the backfield and threaten my opponents long ranged heavy weaponry like Devastators, lootas, havocs etc.... Generally speaking I've found the bale blast to at least serve to weaken the unit and then it's a roll of the dice to see if I can get the 9 inch charge off. Not guaranteed by any stretch but even if the charge doesn't happen I've weakend the opponents heavy weapons fire and also presented them with a problem in that they've got to dedicate fire power to taking them out or risk losing their unit in the next turn. Either way it helps the rest of the army by buying them a turn to close in further.
Back to top Go down
Chippen
Kabalite Warrior
Chippen

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2018, 18:32

I use at least 10, and mostly just plop them in range to shoot something. They're pretty good for popping bubble wrap and forcing your opponent to think about where he wants to pull bubble wrap models from - the side with Venoms and such on one side, or the Mandrakes on the other.

Also good for sticking into cover on an objective.

Even with PfP, the 9 inch charge is dangerous because you're usually running between 5 and 10 models, so if they get caught in the open, they're frak.

Always drop in cover - remember, you don't need LoS to charge, so use that to your advantage.

Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2018, 21:03

Why drop in cover? They have a 7+ armour save, so even in cover they would be using their invulnerable save?

Back to top Go down
Chippen
Kabalite Warrior
Chippen

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03 2018, 22:59

LoS-blocking cover is what I meant. Keep more stuff from shooting at them than necessary.

Sponsored content

Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mandrakes   Mandrakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mandrakes
Page 1 of 1