THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Salem_666
Hellion
Salem_666

Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints Empty
PostSubject: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22 2018, 08:00

For some reason, this specific brush always negatively effects my painting, not the brush itself, but more because when using it and thinning my paints, they always end up too thin and liquidy, leaving pools, or too thick. I can get the ratio right on other brushes but not this one. Does anyone have recommendations as for how to still use the brush and thin the paints correctly. Would an eyedropper be best? Sorry for the dumb question, this has continued to give me problems despite playing around with the ratio of water to paint. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22 2018, 13:59

How are you thinning the paints?

If you are putting a decent amount of paint on a palette then adding water and mixing to get the consistency right, it shouldn't matter which brush you use.

Are you thinning by dipping the brush with paint into water? Or doing it some other way?

Back to top Go down
Salem_666
Hellion
Salem_666

PostSubject: Re: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2018, 02:29

Kantalla wrote:
How are you thinning the paints?

If you are putting a decent amount of paint on a palette then adding water and mixing to get the consistency right, it shouldn't matter which brush you use.

Are you thinning by dipping the brush with paint into water? Or doing it some other way?

I am thinning my paint by dipping the brush in water. Since making this post I've been able to make some corrections in my technique however and it has improved.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2018, 06:03

That sounds like an easy fix, which is great.

Here is one of GW Duncan's painting videos of an Archon's cloak, where you get a nice clear demonstration of thinning the paint onto a palette.

Back to top Go down
Salem_666
Hellion
Salem_666

PostSubject: Re: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2018, 09:37

Kantalla wrote:
That sounds like an easy fix, which is great.

Here is one of GW Duncan's painting videos of an Archon's cloak, where you get a nice clear demonstration of thinning the paint onto a palette.

Thank you very much! I apologize that it was a rather pointless post, I have to remember not to start threads when I haven't slept for so long. While you're watching this topic, instead of making a new one, I have one other question. After painting, I sometimes end up with little specks on the model, little granules of hard paint that stick up. It's not from a lack of thinning, I have been doing that, so I'm not sure where they come from. Is the paint drying inside the pot or is it something else? Thank you again
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24 2018, 11:38

I'm not sure what that would be off the top of my head.

Do you have a photo of the granules sticking up?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints   Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting with XL base brush and thinning paints
Page 1 of 1