THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Czernobog44
Slave
Czernobog44

Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem Empty
PostSubject: Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem   Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2018, 05:08

I have a rules question regarding how crystal targeting matrix and the linked fire stratagem do or don't interact.

The CTM allows the fire prism to move and shoot its Prism Cannon without penalty, so long as it is targeting the closest enemy unit. The mechanics of linked fire is that the other fire prism(s) target the fire prism the strategem was used on, which then redirects the beam to the actual target.

-So if Fire Prism #1 moves and then links fire with Fire Prism #2, does Fire Prism #1 get the benefit of the CTM so long as Fire Prism #2 is closer than any other enemy unit?

-Likewise, even if the unit that's being targeted with linked fire is the closest enemy unit, would Fire Prism #1 get the CTM bonus since it is technically shooting at Fire Prism #2?

My gut says RAW, it wouldn't get the benefit in the first scenario and would still get it in the second, but I wanted a second opinion
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem   Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03 2018, 21:51

Interesting question.

RAW there is nothing in the Linked Fire stratagem to change what the closest enemy unit means, so if the target is the closest enemy unit to Fire Prism #1 then CTM could cancel the hit penalty.

I think that matches your expectations above. It could mean Fire Prism #1 gets a bonus and Fire Prism #2 doesn't, even though shooting at the same target.

Back to top Go down
Shride
Hellion
Shride

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem   Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04 2018, 17:46

To elaborate on the above, Fire Prism 1 is still targeting and firing at an enemy unit. It is never targeting or firing at Fire Prism 2. It is "linking fire" which, as explained in the stratagem, means it ignores range and visibility so long as Fire Prism 2 is within 60" and is visible to Fire Prism 1, re-rolls failed hits and wounds, and must fire at the same target as Fire Prism 2. So, if the target is the closest unit to Fire Prism 1, Crystal Targeting Matrix applies. Fire Prism 2's position does not matter for determining if Fire Prism 1's Crystal Targeting Matrix applies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem   Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crystal Targeting Matrix and Linked-Fire Strategem
Page 1 of 1