THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tantalus Basing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Grimoire
Hellion
Grimoire

Tantalus Basing Empty
PostSubject: Tantalus Basing   Tantalus Basing I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06 2019, 21:58

Fellow Archons,

Looking at getting started on finishing one Tantalus and starting two more and am somewhat stuck. The flying bases that are provided by FW are clearly not up to the weight of this model so I'm looking for reasonable solutions. Searching for solutions only turns up a single solution that is no longer made or provided (Corsec Engineering IIRC)

DragonForge makes some lovely Bases - 120mm Oval that would suffice but I'm a little stuck on how to attach this to the base. Brass Rod could be a solution but presents additional concerns. One Tantalus has the Hull, more or less completed. But drilling into the Hull for a mounting point seems to present a problem in getting it exactly 90 Degrees and I cannot begin to describe how horrible it would be to get it tilted. Annoying is not a strong enough word. Then there is the issue of the large Bottom Scythes that seem to be at risk if the Base/Rod are separable in some manner. So that seems to force me into leaving the Base permanently attached (Not a deal breaker).

Threaded Rod is not a great solution. 1) ugly, 2) the 90 Degree problem 3) not certain the base is thick enough to provide a solid mounting. ( It's a Resin Base )

Brass tubing if I can overcome the drilling and mounting concerns is probably the most elegant solution but simply drilling and gluing the tubing into place seems risky (the 90 degree problem)

Anyone who actually has one and didn't use the Corsec Engineering Solution (No longer made) I'd love to hear additional details.

PS: I have a drill press. Drilling the Base is not a problem. Drilling the Hull however would require some sort of machinations to hold the completed Hull exactly level.
Back to top Go down
Ripper.McGuirl
Hellion
Ripper.McGuirl

Tantalus Basing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing   Tantalus Basing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2019, 01:28

I do not have a tantalus, but I have used 3 of these, and they are great.
Secret Weapon Flying Stand
Back to top Go down
http://destroydestroydestroy.org
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Tantalus Basing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing   Tantalus Basing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2019, 03:50

I used a hobby store arts and craft wooden hobby picture frame and a normal GW flight stand. I made 3 small drill holes (paper clip size and used actual paper clips lol) to glue it to the flight stand, oh i also cut the flight stand down a couple inches.

Tantalus Basing SqmwZwY

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Grimoire
Hellion
Grimoire

Tantalus Basing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing   Tantalus Basing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2019, 04:20

Thank you ! I hadn't considered using that type of flight stand. Food for thought Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ripper.McGuirl
Hellion
Ripper.McGuirl

Tantalus Basing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing   Tantalus Basing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07 2019, 16:15

The wooden picture frame is a great idea. I will have to remember that for the future.
Back to top Go down
http://destroydestroydestroy.org
Sponsored content

Tantalus Basing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing   Tantalus Basing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tantalus Basing
Page 1 of 1