THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Objective Control

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 06:42

I feel kind of dumb for asking this, because, surely not.

Anyway, I had a game recently (narrow the search), where my opponent argued over how controlling the objective worked. They claimed that the objective secured rule that all troops have, doesn't function in it, because the mission states that you count "whoever has the most models within range of the objective holds it."

Surely. Surely that does not counter objective secured. Because that would ensure there be no reason for every codex (bar imperial knights and the like) from even including it.

Back to top Go down
Serpent Fly
Hellion
Serpent Fly

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 08:39

I don't have the book in front of me. But I would agree with you that "objective secured" would still take place. The rule for objectives is always "whoever has the most models within range of the objective holds it." Obsec just means troops trump other units. Some missions also give another force org slot Obsec, but I dont think they cancel the troops one. I can't remember the name but there is one that heavy support also counts as obsec.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 18:26

Did either of you look at the rule in your Codexs? B.c in all codex's if says "if more than 1 units share this ability then the play with the most models controls the objective"
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 18:38

amishprn86 wrote:
Did either of you look at the rule in your Codexs? B.c in all codex's if says "if more than 1 units share this ability then the play with the most models controls the objective"

I tried to explain that, but they claimed the mission super-ceded that. This was an argument of semantic's, but even if there was only one player's troops there, they claimed that it would still count all models.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 19:44

What mission rule? And you only count models within X inches via the BRB and mission rules, you can't count models out of range.
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 20:42

The mission rule stating "the player with more models within range controls the objective".

And that was poor wording on my part, we knew only models within range count.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 20:44

So he is arguing all models count b.c the mission said so? And just ignoring the other rules?
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 21:27

Yeah
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10 2019, 21:44

lol, then tell him none of his codex rules can overwrite any of the BRB rules, if he wants to pick 1 codex rule to not follow then he can't follow any of them.

He is just an ass that didn't want to lose.
Back to top Go down
Serpent Fly
Hellion
Serpent Fly

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11 2019, 06:52

^ this. Yeah I know about the "if more than 1 units share this ability then the play with the most models controls the objective". But it sounds like the OP had troops in range of the objective and the other player did not.

My understanding is: If both players have any troops contesting the objective the the rule is just most models. So if the other player had troops AND a supporting unit then yes it would just be the most models in range.

For example:
Contesting the objective
Player 1 - 10 troops
Player 2 - 5 troops and 10 elites

Here player 2 would be in control. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding RAW.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11 2019, 07:18

You are wrong, the "more models" is if both units are ObjSec then both ObjSec models are counted.

When this was released in the old (2017?) update GW wrote an article about it stating this, that troops always trump.
Back to top Go down
Serpent Fly
Hellion
Serpent Fly

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11 2019, 08:01

Okay thanks for the clarification! So even though both sides have obsec units in the example player 1 would win as they have more troops.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11 2019, 08:11

Yeah i can understand why they argue it that other way. It is poorly written, but sadly most of 8th rules are very poorly written.
Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2019, 12:41

If you really need to, you could argue that if this rule overwrites the objective secure rule, wouldn't any other mission rule dealing with objectives do the same. Therefore, making objective secure totally pointless because it would never apply?
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2019, 18:02

Yeah, that was part of my point, my opponent's argument made very little sense
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26 2019, 18:55

Sarcron wrote:
Yeah, that was part of my point, my opponent's argument made very little sense

When that happens, just shake his hand, say good game, pick up you models and stop playing with him anymore
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Objective Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Objective Control   Objective Control I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Objective Control
Page 1 of 1