THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard Empty
PostSubject: First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard   First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 04:30

Had a fun game against Morty and the new DG.

MY opponent brought:
Morty
2 x Plague Casters
3 x 5 Blightlords
3 x 5 Plague Marines
2 x 3 Deathshrouds
Foul Blight Spawn

I bought:
2 PoF Patrols
2 x Haemonculous
2 x 20 Wracks w/ 4 x Ossefactors
2 x 6 Grotesques
2 x 5 Mandrakes
3 x 5 Shredder Scourges

ToS/Slashing Impact Wych Cult
Yvraine
2 x 5 Wyches w/PGL
2 x 9 Reavers w/Grav Talons in each
1 x 10 Mandrakes

We counted and I outnumbered him 3:1

He won the roll off.  Mission was six objectives, dawn of war deployment, hold one, hold two, hold more.

My secondaries were Scramblers, Linebreaker, Assassinate.  How took Banners, new DG secondary for end of game, and Grind.

First turn he just moves up to get close to the two center objectives.  Maybe plinks a few Wracks.  My turn, I debated going all in on Morty to try to set myself up to kill him next turn but he got Miasma off, which made the math unfavorable.  So I shift the Reavers to the flank away from Morty and go all in on hone squad of Blightlords.  I charge in both Reavers and the MWs picks them up.  But he uses a new strat to heroically intervene with a Deathshroud unit and kills four bikes.  

Turn two, Morty flies over and between psychic. Morty, and the Deathsroud, I lose all the remaining bikes.  Turn two, I bring in two units of Mandrakes and one unit of Scourges on the flank away from Morty.  Shooting picks up one squad of three Deathshroud and a charge from the Grotesques brings a unit of Blightlords down to two.  On the other flank with Morty, In the psychic phase, Yvraine went ham and picked up 2.5 Blightlords  by herself.  

Turn three, Morty flies back over the other flank and between psychic and combat, kills five Wyches, and four Grotesques.  The remaining Blightlords kills one more leaving one alive on one wound.  My turn, I bring down my big unit of Mandrakes, and two units of Scourges on the non-Morty flank.  Psychic, shooting, and charge by the other Grotesque unit sees all the remaining Terminators picked up.  I consolidated into the Blight Spawn to keep from getting flamed.  The remaining Grotesque in combat tries to fall back but he used the strat to deal MWs on sixes when I fall back and gets a lucky six to kill him.  

Turn four, he picks up some Scourges and Mandrakes on the flank Morty is on.  Morty charges a 20 man Wrack unit on one of my home objectives...and only kills 12.  My turn, I use Black Cornucopia to nope my way outta there and just leave a poor doomed Haemonoculous to contest that objective to stop Morty from holding it next turn.  My Grotesques finish off the Blight Spawn.  My remaining Mandrakes and Scourges on Morty’s side kill one of his Plague Casters and shooting sees two of the PM squads brought down to one man.

Turn five, he kills a Grotesque in the psychic phase and that’s about it.  My turn I max out primary, kill the other Plague Caster, and get my final Scramblers. He had Morty and seven PMs left.  

Final score was 68-53 for the Drukhari.  

Observations:

Morty is as scary as advertised...against most things.  But PoF Grotesques and Wracks  slowed him down a bit.  If you aren’t VERY confident you can kill him by turn two at the latest, just ignore him and feed him chaff while you go after the Terminators and PMs.  In a non-Demon Engine heavy list, they’re the real threats that will cause you to lose the game if you spend your first 2-3 turns trying to kill Morty.

The -1T aura is incredibly  nasty.  It means all the heavy hitters are wounding everything but Grotesques on two’s and rerolling ones.  

No army likes MWs but DG Terminators really hate them now because they’re expensive and have no defense unless they’re bringing a Plague Surgeon which means they to stay within its aura making a slow army slightly slower.  I think Yvraine and Slashing Impact/Grav-Talon Reavers are auto-take (until they fix the points in the new codex).

Additionally, DG hate high volume str 5\6  one damage weapons with -1 or -2 AP now.  The Grotesques, Scourges, and Mandrakes did the business and along with Yvraine, killed most of his army.  Shredder Scourges are great for their points now.  

DG’s book is amazing in its depth and breadth and makes numerous different builds viable.   I think elite Morty and Terminator heavy list archetype is a pretty favorable match up if you have tools that can play around Morty and kill Terminators.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard   First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 12:32

TY for posting your game! I was very curious how a match up like this would go. My gut tells me that the Morty/Terminator build will be their main archetype.

Congrats on the win. How do you feel the game would have gone if you didnt have the psykic support of Yvraine?
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard   First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 14:40

Yvraine was crucial. In addition to pretty reliable 2x D3 MWs every turn she also denied a power my opponent tried to cast on four turns. Sadly, other than Drazhar, she is our most useful HQ option.
Having said that, I still think I would’ve won without her, but it would’ve been a tougher challenge dealing with the terminators.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard   First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First game against Mortarion and new Death Guard
Page 1 of 1