THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Last Hatred

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Actohyst
Slave
Actohyst

Kabal of the Last Hatred Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08 2021, 18:58

In the codex we can read about Last Hatred necromancers who "mastered the technique of permanently binding a soul to the cadaver". The question is- how do the Drukhari, known for their strict "no psykers" policy are able to use something akin to magic. Codex only vaguely mentions that "the Kabal practices ever more complex rites", so it is probably not done by technology. So what options are left? Ritualism similar to that practised by Dark Apostles? Do they utilize the Thirst to somehow "vomit" the souls back into their bodies (like the Mandrakes do with their baleblast, bypassing the need to channel energies from the Warp)? The markings on their armour are somewhat similar to sigils on mandrakes skin. Maybe someone has any other ideas?

Kabal of the Last Hatred Kabali10
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08 2021, 19:48

It would be thru some Haemonculus Coven techno-magic.

Technically not thru psykers, but maybe using psyko-reactive materials, mixed with highly advanced technology, and a whole helping of depravity Wink

Take a look into the whole "regrowing a dead archon from a fingernail clipping" thing that the Haemonculi do thru their magic-necromancer-coffin things. Its pretty rad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Actohyst
Slave
Actohyst

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08 2021, 20:54

See, that is what I would usually assume, given the existence of Slaanesh, except the Codex's use of words like "rite". No activity of the covens was ever named "ritual", it is always referred to as technology/ techonoarcana/ fabrication and such. Now, psyko-reactive materials- that sounds better.
Then again it might just be misspelling, or simply a mistake in the Codex, but it's just puzzling. The Dying Sun relies on arcane tech and it's very precisely stated.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 08 2021, 21:26

It may very well be through Coven style techno-wizardry and the use of terms like 'rite' may be to invoke a vague and evocative feel, that sense that their tech knowledge is so advanced it seems like magic.

It may also be that it is something more unique to the last hatred. The term 'necromancy' carries implications of something psychic/sorcerous, but the Dark City is near infinite. I like the concept of it being something akin ti the mystety of mandrakes; not specifically something coven but something other to everything in the codex. What that could be I am not sure, but it may very well just be Coven shenanigans.

Being able to regen a Dark Eldar completely is what most DE do, but the thought of an Archon wishing their Kabal massacred so their spirits could be bound in a different way, effectively making them thralls, is an interesting concept. Just food for thought, I haven't a clue honestly.

Kabal of the Last Hatred YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Actohyst
Slave
Actohyst

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09 2021, 10:28

So i did some digging into the "mandrake hypothesis", and it seems that they do possess some kind of shadow sorcery that is not Warp-based. Instead they rely on Aelindrach itself.

Now there is a topic from reddit describing the abilities of mandrakes as well properties of Aelindrach called Complete Breakdown of Aelindrach

Fragments from Patch of the Archon are especially interesting.

" I live, I breathe, I am real, I exist here because it is my desire to do so. By my self-belief I am not absorbed into the shadow even as I become one with it in order to exist in this realm." Also it is mentioned that "Aelindrach came to us" implying sentience. Now the question would be: is the Kabal with close ties to the aelindrachi elders (saaay for example, hmmm... Last Hatred, who managed to employ Kheradruakh on at least one occasion) able to learn to utilise similar abilities? Given that both groups have the Thirst, are of aeldari origin (mandrakes are no daemons, and their baleblast depends on "stolen essence) how possible is that?

Also "mandrake hypothesis" explains their hatred for the Ynnari. End Slaanesh-> end the Thirst-> no more necromancy.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09 2021, 16:46

The whole thing has been left vague, and the "unreliable narrator" device is used in literally every 40k background piece.

I dont think there are any wrong answers here. Just dont make it a direct psykic power (but drawing power through Aelindrach like the "Warrens" in the Malazan novels would work fine)
Back to top Go down
Actohyst
Slave
Actohyst

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 09 2021, 17:24

Yeah, i know. Vague description was the reason for starting this topic. Perhaps it will be developed in the future, much like the Dying Sun's star-killer-artifacts. For now: no wrong answers, but probably none are right too. But it would definitely be great for GW to describe Aelindrach lore a little bit more in the future (because those shady bastards do have some form of sorcery of their own "We call to Aelindrach, the Shadow Realm, with the blood of our pact"- The Oublietteby J C Stearns).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Last Hatred   Kabal of the Last Hatred I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Last Hatred
Page 1 of 1