THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hellions in Cursed Blade

Go down 
+5
Kalmah
Zenotaph
False Son
Cerve
LordSplata
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

Hellions in Cursed Blade Empty
PostSubject: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 17:13

I've been wondering lately about this: Putting Hellions in a Cursed Blade Detachment (+1S), do you think its a good idea to give them the +1S combat drugs? or the 6S in melee (3+1 (Obs) + 1 (CoDr) +1 from the Hellglaive)) is just too much or useless?
I know it will depend on what you're about to face, but on a regular basis, what are your thought?

Cause right now i'm hesitating putting them either on a Cursed Blade Detachment or Red Grief
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 18:01

Considering their special ability, I would go with +1A.

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 18:22

ho i like that indeed, S5 but with an additional attack.......nasty Wink
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 18:37

I would agree with the +1A, or possibly randomly roll 2 drugs. Worst case would be +1WS and +1S?
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 18:45

You only get it, when you attack or heroically intervene, but it should work.
After all, Hellion can fall back and then attack, giving you effectively 4 S5 attacks with AP-1.
Good enough for me. Wink

Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 18:51

indeed gotta use that ability fall back and charge a little Wink
stupid question cause i don't have my book with me: after falling back it can still shoot?
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 19:01

Kalmah wrote:
indeed gotta use that ability fall back and charge a little Wink
stupid question cause i don't have my book with me: after falling back it can still shoot?
Only when they are 'Titanic'... lol!

Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeThu May 06 2021, 19:09

but with the power level from our book right now, everything is titanic in our army no??? cheers
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeFri May 07 2021, 19:44

XD It is if you consume any of the current 40K media.

You got Cruel Deception to fall back and still shoot (for 1 CP). If you went with Cult of Strife, they have a second "fall back and do things" strat, but cant recall exactly (I know you are set on Cursed Blade, just wanted to put this out there)

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeSat May 08 2021, 03:25

were starting to get somewhere!
i've built a list Cult only (and no CoS at all!!!)
i will share it soon on the appropriate topic Smile
But (for now) the hellions are in my Cult of Red Grief (love the advance and shoot and charge possibility with this Obsession)
Back to top Go down
LordSplata
Sybarite
LordSplata

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeSat May 08 2021, 11:25

What do they really get from red grief?
+2 movement when advancing isn’t much. When you are so fast already.
So it’s really that reroll on the charge that you’re competing with the +1 str.
Which seems underwhelming for these guys, etched I can get behind, but these guys are so fast already... just can’t see the case. (Open to convincing)
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeSat May 08 2021, 19:41

lol i'm still not convinced, why the questions here Wink
what happens is that in patrol detachment, we are stuck with only 2 fast slots, so we can't do whatever we want with Reavers and Hellions competing for those slots.
And i hate to do 2 patrols with the same obsession (just for the flavor, but also because doing so will prevent me from having an additional Master Succubus and Bloodbrides)

For now, i think (no game in hand to validate, so its just speculations) that the Reavers enjoy more the +1S from the Cursed Blade (for a 5S in melee with the +1 from bladevanes), leaving me free to use the Splintermind Drug for them. Also Reavers already have M18 + super advance, so no need to boost that section, so they really gain nothing from Red Grief

On the other hand, the Hellions in Red Grief benefits from the advance and charge bonus from this obsession better as their splinter pods are Assault weapon, so in a turn, can move, advance and still shoot and charge (starting turn 2), but will need to use the +1S drug for them to really let them shine in combat. Also they are a little bit slower than Reavers with 14M, so the little boost from Red Grief is not that useless.

I personally think that Hellions do shine brighter in a Cursed Blade detachment, but again, its more a question of: who benefits better from the obsessions between Reavers and Hellions respectively, and in the end i think Reavers benefits a little bit more from Cursed Blade vs Red Grief and Hellions, even if Cursed Blade would be better, benefits nonetheless some from Red Grief.

Again, i hate to use 2 patrol detachment with the same obsession even if the results would be better (i'm not playing competitively so the results, even if important, are not what matter most)
So even if not the best mix, i think this can lead to some good stuff

Btw, i have posted my list in the proper zone, so feel free to leave your comments and input Smile
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeMon May 10 2021, 15:48

Hmm, I would argue regarding Hellions vs Reavers benefitting more from Cursed Blade.

Hellions are a primary CC unit, that happens to have some guns. Larger squad sizes, and can always fall back and charge

Reavers are a toolbox unit, that has some decent guns and some decent punches. But super fast (and 20% more expensive)

IMHO the Hellions benefit more from the CC buff from Cursed Blade.

Red Grief seems to be more of a specialty build if you are foccused on Wyches/Succubus and are not going CoS (for Reasons). Getting back in a Raider after killing a unit seems really cool (if unlikely to get triggered, and costing your Raiders going RG instead of the usual Black Heart), and the Blood Glave relic also looks really cool.
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue May 11 2021, 01:56

i entirely approve that Hellions are better in a Cursed Blade detachment rather than a Red Grief, thats not the point, its more that with the proper combat drugs and the proper obsession, both of them can do their job a little bit better:
Reavers can have some good melee stats with good firepower with splintermind
Hellions can easily reach their target for melee all while shooting a little bit here and there, also for the eviscerating fly-by strats this can help too the extra+2 on advance

I'll give it a try soon and let you know Smile

but knowing that Hellions shine brighter in a Cursed Blade detachment, i'm already working on another list where the Hellions have this obsession, and next to them a Coven Detachment.
(Yah i love making list, so when i play a list usually i only play it once lol, i love to experiment a lot!!)
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue May 11 2021, 10:11

Consider that Hellions gets the best from CoS, expecially the 4++ for 1CP after killing something.

That said, Cursed Blade is fine for them if you play them in small units (8-10 models), but I would always roll 2 drugs for them. Their profile is good enough already, 3 Attacks, S5, T4, 2 wounds.

+1 A is great, you will always trigger it with Hellions (fallback and fight)
+1 Sr is great, S6 is amazing expecially against mirrors (Raiders are T6)
+2" is great for a unit that LIVES between being in Blos and being in melee
+1 BS is the less usefull, but still nice when you can advance and shoot hitting on 3+ (don't forget the strat that poison veichles)
+1T is amazing, nothing to say.
+1 WS is great for Turn2 fights, and against everything that pulls of -1 to hit (ie. other Drukhari?)

Every drug is great on them, rolling 2 of them seems the best for Hellions and Reavers, expecially if you don't run the big blob CoS that can be a WWSWF unit (in that case you play a lot on the 4++ stratagem, and you will likely pick +1T).

Now the real boost about double drug: Hyperstim.Backlash! For 2 CPs you double your drugs for an entire round. That works on both your buffs. That''s amazing for me. I always roll 2 drugs, just try it. Smile

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue May 11 2021, 15:02

i really think i will try what you say..........cause indeed, there is no ''bad choice'' for drugs for them.
thanks @Cerve....and never thought about that Hyperstim Backlash! Smile imagine +1S and +1A with this strats..........WHAM!!!!
This random drugs will work perfectly in my new list Smile

Cerve likes this post

Back to top Go down
False Son
Sybarite
False Son

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue May 11 2021, 19:33

fisheyes wrote:

Red Grief seems to be more of a specialty build if you are foccused on Wyches/Succubus and are not going CoS (for Reasons). Getting back in a Raider after killing a unit seems really cool (if unlikely to get triggered, and costing your Raiders going RG instead of the usual Black Heart), and the Blood Glave relic also looks really cool.

Oddly enough, i'd consider Red Grief if you wanted to skip Raiders and dogpile your enemy. The real advantage is rerolled charges. You can somewhat make up the for the loss in melee power vs other Cults by not needing to Advance as often. There might even be an argument for using Splintermind and making shooty Reavers and Hellions.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19 2021, 03:11

Uh, well, how to put this...
I found 5 Hellions. Really! I just found them. Cant remember that I bought em, let alone built or even primed them.
But here is my probably stupidest (is this even a real word???) question: What to do? Are 5 Gliders worth playing?

Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20 2021, 17:34

For my part, i will always say: YOU HAVE TO PLAY THEM! seriously they are by far my favorite models!
They always do what they need to do.
They strike hard, and surprisingly, are tougher than they look!
lot of good mobility and they fit perfectly with any Cult's Obsession (unlike the Reavers)
At 17pts i find them cheap, i would easily pay up to 20pts per model and would gladly still play them.

Now for sure 5 models is not enough, but knowing they fit in almost any obessions and game plan, i'm sure you can find room for them as they will always do something good in the end.

Also they are SO good looking!
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21 2021, 16:14

Hellions get that awesome Infantry keyword. That alone makes them better than Reavers IMO.

5 man squads featured prominantly as a counter-admech unit. Multi damage to mess with Lucius Skitarii blobs, enough AP to force Invulnerable saves on their Skitarii Vets.

When not facing oponents scared of the humble Hellion, use them to score ROD/Banners/Engage/etc.

Totally worth it in 5 man unit, just a different role than 10+ strong unit.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21 2021, 18:52

Reavers have other advantages. Like Heatlances with full ballistic skill.
Too bad, you cant block the exit points of transports anymore. That was fun.
And the perfect job for jetbikes. Wink

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21 2021, 20:01

Oh, you can still do it, but it takes a lot of effort. I was able to force an Emergency Disembark using 10 wyches and a Raider on an enemy Raider.

Jetbikes are still nice, but not quite as flexable as Hellions. If Reavers were Infantry, I would be bringing 2x9 to every game
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21 2021, 21:14

In 5th, 3-4 where enough to block the Terminators from disembarking a Landraider.
Well, if someone would've played Landraiders or didnt deepstrike his Termis...

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22 2021, 12:50

Oh, I do remember those days. Everyone driving their Land Raiders backwards up the field so the front hatch didnt get blocked by enemy units.

IIRC, pivoting was a "free" move, so you could do a quick doughnut at the last second and proceed to jump out.

Always good to remember the bad-old-days. 9th is much more streamlined and has removed a lot of dumb rules/interactions.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22 2021, 14:00

And do not forget: deepstriking was an adventure. Well, except for Grandmaster Modrak of the Grey Knights.

PostSubject: Re: Hellions in Cursed Blade   Hellions in Cursed Blade I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hellions in Cursed Blade
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next