THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi

Go down 
+7
sekac
Burnage
fisheyes
Tzeentch4Life
amishprn86
DevilDoll
toldavf
11 posters
AuthorMessage
toldavf
Hellion
toldavf

A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi Empty
PostSubject: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeFri May 21 2021, 21:00

Now we are talking, Incubi have been my favorite unit for a very long time, masters of the art of slaughter they are an absolute terror on the battlefield, lets look!

Incubi
Well where to begin, incubi are a premium unit that is entirely dedicated to assault, they pack some of the most eye watering offense in the book and will happily chew through the elite units of most other armies, indeed unless the enemy is a really large monster, a full sized mob of orks or packing a 4+ invun (more of a guide line than a solid rule) incubi will probably be a safe bet to beat it. While incubi are terrifying on offense, defensively they aren't all that tough even though they have a really good armour save that can get to 2+ with the right strat/cover, careful screening and engagement is required to ensure they aren't just a one and done unit.

As character support you cant go wrong they will supplement the damage of your succubi and archons very well. With archons they even have a bit of symbiosis as he buffs them slightly and has the option of taking ancient evil to ensure you don't have to rely on the tormentors.

These guys love the raider, if your incubi walk you are doing it wrong. Not only does the raider keep them from getting shot with small arms, it also provides a critical debuff for their tormentor ability, making it much more likely to succeed.

Few enemy armies are going to want to put units in range of an incubi charge, which can constrict your opponents move phase quite nicely, they are a nice psychological threat that way. That said they are public enemy number one so expect your opponent to work hard dealing with them, be careful with their raider and you should be ok vs deep strikers or fast movers.

Also the klaivex has 2 wounds for some reason hey a free wound I'll take that.

Bonus
Drazhar master of blades
The big boy himself, he's been hitting the gym since last edition and he is ready to slay. He's exceptionally fighty and will happily murder allot of characters/monster/tanks currently in the game, he's also just as at home threshing hoards with a possible 14 attacks (that hit and wound t4 models on 2+) he will make a sizable dent in most mobs. He is actually also pretty tough to kill having -1 damage against him and a 4+ invun he won't die quickly.

The buffs he brings to incubi are to be frank sickening +1 to wound on a str 5 dude means that you can carve apart some crazy stuff, a full unit of incubi and Drazhar can even bring down a wraith knight in a single round of combat.

Probably a points increase in his future I think, but the new model is fantastic and if i am honest the reason I picked up the hobby again.

"Oh that models nice, I'll buy it to paint."
"I'll get him a bodyguard of incubi too."
"They need a raider for the full display."
"Give me more plastic crack."

That's basically how it went

In short I am a massive fanboy for incubi, I'm planning to field two units of 7 and hopefully kill allot of stuff with them, it's gonna be great. Very Happy

Next time Grotesques

Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeSat May 22 2021, 11:08

5 elf units in a venom are nice, too. It also gives the Ld malus, is easier to hide and harder to hit. Just a thought. Wink

Wych
DevilDoll

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeSun May 23 2021, 19:12

I also prefer the venom for them...
Three 5 man units in a venom plus drazhar, archon and a succubus respectively have been staple in my lists for a while and doing pretty good they can cover three key locations of the battlefield on their own with this setup or focus one point all together for extreme pain.
Inccubi where mainly the reason i started dark eldar back in 5th and im ridiculously happy that they are amazing now.
Having said that they die the moment an enemy decides to sneeze next to them dont let the 3+ save fool you, once they are out of the transport they are history so one must make sure they delete the target before they get deleted themselves. Worst scenario is a failed charge imo and any abilities the enemy might have that make them fight after them...
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeSun May 23 2021, 23:59

He has 2 wounds b.c he is an Exarch and all Exarchs are basically mini heroes.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Tzeentch4Life
Slave
Tzeentch4Life

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26 2021, 19:56

My new test list has been running 27 incubi spread through 2 raiders and a tantalus along with 3 archons and Drazhar. So far it's been scary effective, especially with black heart tantalus getting a turn one charge so I can safely disembark with 10 incubi and 2 characters turn 2 for the assault-fest.

I always forget about venoms so I might pick up a couple and try running 2 squads of 5 in venoms and one of 10 in the tantalus.
Back to top Go down
duckduckgoose
Hellion
duckduckgoose

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15 2021, 17:53

DevilDoll wrote:
I also prefer the venom for them...
Three 5 man units in a venom plus drazhar, archon and a succubus respectively have been staple in my lists for a while and doing pretty good they can cover three key locations of the battlefield on their own with this setup or focus one point all together for extreme pain

I like this and think I’ll try it sometime soon. I also wonder how viable it would be to run the venoms as black heart and try to get a first turn advance and charge. Then on turn 2 your incubi can pile out and deal with whatever is left
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15 2021, 18:09

Well, the Venom gets his -1 to hit only against ranged weapons.
So your Incubi are a lot safer, when their transport doesnt charge the first turn. Just a thought. Wink

Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15 2021, 18:48

Incubi are simply one of the best units in the codex. For their points, you can even throw them into Hoard clearing (18 attacks hitting on 2s?!).

I am not too hot on putting the Venom, because they are such a tempting target. When you throw them into a Raider with 5 wyches, if the Raider does blow up at least the Wyches are there to be the chumps who die.

But Sean Nayden recently showed that Incubi in Venoms can win tournaments, so what do I know.

More Incubi is just more fun, no matter how you bring them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16 2021, 10:12

fisheyes wrote:
I am not too hot on putting the Venom, because they are such a tempting target. When you throw them into a Raider with 5 wyches, if the Raider does blow up at least the Wyches are there to be the chumps who die.

For me, the issue with putting Incubi in a Raider is that it ends up being a lot of eggs in one basket.

If an opponent kills a Raider:
- You lose a very good transport
- Your Incubi are exposed and potentially stranded
- Your Wyches are exposed and potentially stranded
- If you had an Archon, Succubus or Drazhar in the Raider, they will also now be exposed and stranded.

However, if you have, say, Incubi (and maybe an Archon) in a Venom and two Wych units in a Raider, it becomes a more difficult choice.

Killing the Raider will knock out a mobile Dark Lance and strand two units, but now it's only Wych units you're losing. Or they could target the Venom and strand your best melee unit, but if they do that then you've still got two Wych units and you've only lose a crummy transport.

That's how I look at it, anyway.

Of course, I also realise that a lot of players don't want to include any Venoms in their lists at all now (as they're so much worse than Raiders), so if you're doing it for that reason then I can understand.

Burnage
Incubi
Burnage

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16 2021, 10:33

Putting Incubi in a Raider only feels like too many eggs in one basket when you're looking at it in a vacuum. In a 2k game, when you could easily have three Raiders each with five Incubi and five Wyches as well as another two or three Raiders all filled with stuff it becomes much less concerning.

Meanwhile every time you buy five more Wyches and a Venom to put your Incubi in you're spending at least 125 points that could go towards more threatening units.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 17 2021, 04:25

Burnage wrote:
Meanwhile every time you buy five more Wyches and a Venom to put your Incubi in you're spending at least 125 points that could go towards more threatening units.

This is, by far, the biggest difference. While you might feel that consolidating incubi, wyches, and a character into one raider is too many eggs in one basket, the other alternative is to buy more baskets and have fewer eggs.

Baskets don't win games, eggs do.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18 2021, 12:40

I mean, the Venom vs Raider debate has gone on since we got our Codex. Im sure we all have seen the Sean Nayden Venom Spam list that won a Tournament 2 weeks back, so clearly Venoms do have legs.

But either way you would need to bring transports that fit the rest of your list. Avoid giving up Bring It Down secondary points, maximizing transport capacity within your list, having multiple back-up boats, even building around To The Last/WWSWF secondary.

At the end of the day, I believe we can all agree that Incubi are just amazing and should nearly always make it into lists.

18 attacks with WS2 is just bonkers for 80 pts IMO.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18 2021, 13:02

That makes me curious. Are there lists without Incubi?

Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18 2021, 14:31

Zenotaph wrote:
That makes me curious. Are there lists without Incubi?

I mean, I could see someone not taking them for because they don't have the models or for reasons of fluff (e.g. if you're making a pure Coven list then you might want to keep to that aesthetic).

Otherwise, it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't want to take them. They're effectively putting out almost two Ravager's worth of Disintegrator shots as melee attacks, whilst setting you back just ~25% of what said Ravagers would cost (transport notwithstanding).

They also benefit from not needing any support beyond a transport, yet at the same time have potential synergies with almost all of our HQs if you do want them as bodyguards (Archons and Drazhar buff them, whilst Lelith/Succubi can potentially tie their targets in melee if they're not killed outright).

They're just a really solid unit with a very reasonable price tag (though I wouldn't be surprised to see them go up in points in the future).

Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18 2021, 17:17

the more i read this topic the more i feel bad.........I did play them i think like only 2 times lol....
As of late i play 1000pts games and i like my army to be a little bit (too) aesthetic.
I'm planning on playing one last Thousand Sons game and after that i'll be back in the Drukhari lists.........definitely gonna include more Incubis in my lists! (before the point increase lol)
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18 2021, 17:26

I really like the look of our Incubi. The fluff is nice, too. They went a long way from those faceless bodyguards.
Their, well, deadlyness is off the charts, especially for their low costs. I use my pack of just 5 every game.

Hellion
duckduckgoose

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18 2021, 23:09

Yeah I’ve been running 3 squads of 5 and they do work. In my most recent game, their raider got blown up, then they got charged by a unit of death company. I thought they were gone, but then my tormenters roll forced the death company to go last, and I cut them down to a man. They are super super nasty. But then we can also have other high threat units like reavers hellions.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20 2021, 12:56

Plus they can can go Super Sayen when Draz is near by. I cannot stress how powerful +1 to wound is on those bad boys.

Plus Draz is a beast on his own.

duckduckgoose likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi   A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A returning players opinions on our units; Incubi
Page 1 of 1